Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's TWRP Recovery For The Nextbook NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdw82 View Post
    So this worked, sort of. I did manage to get ShaunMT's image to load via RKBatch Tool so I can actually use the tablet, however I am still getting an error whenever I go into recovery. (It is giving me stock recovery options, but says "E: Failed to mount mnt/externalsd" or something along those lines) so I am unable to load a new image. I would like to get TWRP or CWM to work on this so that I can get to the solution for my original problem but not sure where to go from here.

Would ADB sideloading be a possible solution at this point? Just looking for some guidance before I start messing around and potentially cause more problems lol

Thank you so much for your help!
    Have you tried reformatting your external SD card? That might solve your mounting problem.

I would suggest reformatting it on a PC rather than on the tablet...

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
      Have you tried reformatting your external SD card? That might solve your mounting problem.

I would suggest reformatting it on a PC rather than on the tablet...

ShaunMT
      Just finished reformatting the SD card on my PC, put it into the tablet and restarted into recovery, still getting the failed to mount /mnt/external_sd (no such device) error.

I'm no expert but it seems odd to me that I get this error via recoery but if I boot normally I CAN access any files on the external SD card.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by jdw82 View Post
        Just finished reformatting the SD card on my PC, put it into the tablet and restarted into recovery, still getting the failed to mount /mnt/external_sd (no such device) error.

I'm no expert but it seems odd to me that I get this error via recoery but if I boot normally I CAN access any files on the external SD card.

Any other suggestions?
        That is odd... the stock recovery shouldn't have any problems with the external SD card...

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

My own experience

Everyone,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I just bought the NX8QC8G a couple of weeks ago. Now before I go into detail about how I solved the issue at hand, let me give you all a little background about my skills (or lack there of). I used to be quite proficient at PC's even going way back to the TRS80 days. I also learned Novell Netware and at one time was self-employed building and servicing Netware servers. So, not a total noob at computing, but nonetheless, never owned a tablet or touched anyting Android.

So, it only took about 2 days to learn the inadequacies of this device. That's what brought me here. I have read every word in this thread from everyone. Fine work you guys do, thank you. But, while in the process of flashing the device (or trying to), I started having the battery issue and booting the device was becoming more difficult. I knew the physical battery charge was fine as it has seen many many hours on the charger before I started the process, but the device reported irratic levels of charge state from one minute to the next.

So, reading about the battery connector in one post here, I felt froggy and decided to pop the top and check it out. I do have quite a bit of experience in micro-electronic surgery, so I felt confident. I had to take it apart 3 or 4 times before I got it right and it WAS working great just before the last time I reassembled it. After I snapped the cover on the last time, oops, there's a crack in the display. "She's dead Jim."

Ok, it was a cheap tablet anyway and the whole purchase was an experiment to see if it would be useful at work. The verdict? Awesome for what I used it for during the few days I did use it at work. So, the end result is I am going to buy a new tablet for work but not a Nextbook. I am tetering on the Invidia Shield but haven't locked into that yet.

The real purpose of my post here is to offer this broken Nextbook to anyone here who wants it. SHawn, you have first dibs on it if you would like it for parts. I got it at Walmart about 2 weeks ago. It was manufactured May-2014 and the build.prop meets all of your criteria for your flash-rom. If nothing else, you will have a new replacement battery and/or disecting a free unit for educational purposes.

Sorry about the long post but just wanted to put it all out there.

Again. keep up the good work.

Tom SWVA

Comment

Originally posted by SWVAthomas View Post

The real purpose of my post here is to offer this broken Nextbook to anyone here who wants it. SHawn, you have first dibs on it if you would like it for parts. I got it at Walmart about 2 weeks ago. It was manufactured May-2014 and the build.prop meets all of your criteria for your flash-rom. If nothing else, you will have a new replacement battery and/or disecting a free unit for educational purposes.

Tom SWVA
            That's a kind and thoughtful offer, but I'll pass.

If no one else shows any interest, let me know and I'll post your offer in the private developer's section.

I'll also point out, that assuming the device still boots ok, you could always use it as a tv box with the HDMI out and a usb keyboard/mouse.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

The condition it is in has TWRP installed but it reports no OS. So you can boot into TWRP or otherwise you just get a non-animated Nextbook screen.

Anyway, if anyone else wants it, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll make arangements to send it out.

Thanks again,

Tom

Comment

The condition it is in has TWRP installed but it reports no OS. So you can boot into TWRP or otherwise you just get a non-animated Nextbook screen.

Anyway, if anyone else wants it, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll make arangements to send it out.

Thanks again,

Tom
                I don't know if my TWRP supports HDMI or Mouse input... never tested that...

If not, ADB could probably be used to either flash it, or move files to it and script recovery to flash it...

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

That is a thought but I am tired of working on it for now. I ordered a new tablet today for work. If no one here wants it I may research a new touch screen for it and attempt a repair but it's looking like a new screen is about half the cost of what I paid for it. We'll see. It's still up for grabs if anyone wants it...

Comment

That is a thought but I am tired of working on it for now. I ordered a new tablet today for work. If no one here wants it I may research a new touch screen for it and attempt a repair but it's looking like a new screen is about half the cost of what I paid for it. We'll see. It's still up for grabs if anyone wants it...
                    Update,

I have located a new touch screen for the thing so I am going to attempt replacing it and see what happens...

Sorry to drift this thread so much. I'll get back here if and when I get it working again with the new image..

Tom

Comment

Help Please

I have a nextbook 8 and i deleted the os somehow i downloaded this put it in my sd card and tryed to install it on my tablet it just says failed im a total noob at this and don't even know if this would fix it but if someone could help me would be so appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by stonedace View Post
                        I have a nextbook 8 and i deleted the os somehow i downloaded this put it in my sd card and tryed to install it on my tablet it just says failed im a total noob at this and don't even know if this would fix it but if someone could help me would be so appreciated.
                        I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you without more details...

Do you have any idea how you "deleted your os"? What were you doing or trying to do when this happened? What steps did you take to cause the problem? What currently happens when you try to boot your tablet into Android?

Are you able to boot into stock recovery mode? Do you even know how?

What steps did you take to install TWRP recovery? What is the full text of the error message you received?

Have you tried to install the stock ROM?

Provide some additional info and hopefully one of us will be able to assist you.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

help

i was just trying to go back to factory but wasnt familer with the twrp i can get into it now but when i try to install a rom it says failed just clicked a few to many buttons when i hit reboot from twrp it says no os installed

Comment

i was just trying to go back to factory but wasnt familer with the twrp i can get into it now but when i try to install a rom it says failed just clicked a few to many buttons when i hit reboot from twrp it says no os installed

Just reboot to recovery and reflash the ROM.

What is overall goal? Are you trying to revert to the stock ROM, the stock parameters, stock recovery, or all of the above?

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

help

i was just trying to do a factory reset can you link the stock rom and tell me how to install it in twrp from sd card?

Comment

i was just trying to do a factory reset can you link the stock rom and tell me how to install it in twrp from sd card?
                                I don't have a copy of the official stock ROM.

I'm not sure if it is still available from the Nextbook website or not. Last I knew, they had replaced it with a ROM for a different device that won't work on the NX785QC8G.

I believe there is a link to mirror copy in the thread about the official update.

The stock update can not be installed by TWRP. It is a special format that can only be installed by the stock recovery or using a PC tool.

If you want to go all the way back to stock, I would suggest first using TWRP to reinstall the stock recovery, then using the stock recovery to install the official update.

If you only want to do a normal "factory reset" (a "factory reset" only wipes data [downloaded apps] and cache [user settings]) you can do that with TWRP.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X