No announcement yet.

MiniMX S905 - Ubuntu 16.04 64bits (with kodi and X) on sdcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Koxx. it is posible to run your image in Mini M8S ?
    I want to use Kodi, and right now i use Armbian and it doesn't have it....
    Android TV Box - Mini M8S (Amlogic S905) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Arm64 - 3.14.29 with VLC (X11 Accelerated XCB), Kodi Odrobian Fbdev 16.1 (VPU Accelerated), X.org 7.7 plus Mali Fbdev 20160315-r5p1

Comment

Originally posted by Pololu View Post

Hello, I have this cheap box for $ 37 Bought . http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-...11.html?wid=21 Then with this SD card fit .http://www.****.de/itm/252360707074?...378&rmvSB=true

Then I want to play Ubuntu . Will they succeed ?

It means S905X. Will it work?

Most likely yes, but you may have to get the box's original dtb file from its Android system.

Comment

Update....
        I have try Mini_ubuntu_1.img
        The best thing, Kodi run very good, and smooth.
        But, how to change the Audio in Kodi to HDMI ? (edit: nevermind, it said in first page how to change sound to hdmi)

And why the graphical desktop is very dark and there is no background image visible, is there a way to resolve the color maping issue?

and in boot time, i get alot of failed to load kernel module , i think it's related to wifi... (edit: it trying to load Broadcom Wifi driver , after delete dhd in /etc/modules it fixed )

Thanks....
        Last edited by sukanime; 09-28-2016, 15:09. Reason: add more info
        Android TV Box - Mini M8S (Amlogic S905) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Arm64 - 3.14.29 with VLC (X11 Accelerated XCB), Kodi Odrobian Fbdev 16.1 (VPU Accelerated), X.org 7.7 plus Mali Fbdev 20160315-r5p1

Comment

Originally posted by sukanime View Post
          Update....
          I have try Mini_ubuntu_1.img
          The best thing, Kodi run very good, and smooth.
          But, how to change the Audio in Kodi to HDMI ?

And why the graphical desktop is very dark and there is no background image visible, is there a way to resolve the color maping issue?

and in boot time, i get alot of failed to load kernel module , i think it's related to wifi...

Thanks....
          I'm struggeling with the same issue, I think the problem is in the graphic card driver.

Comment

Does anyone have an img with less bloat included? This image could probably be slimmed down to a few GBs if we remove everything unnecessary. I can slim it down myself, but if it already exists I can save some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddwarf View Post

I'm struggeling with the same issue, I think the problem is in the graphic card driver.
              yup, you're right.

After i have playing with Armbian from Balbas, Ubuntu multi DTB from Balbes150 and Minimx Ubuntu v0 and v1.
              I decided to i use minimix_ubuntu_1.img, but i modified:
              1. To Solve Color maping issue, I change the default kernel.
              - remove all files in BOOT Partition, then Replace with the one from ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img (like s905_autoscript, dtb.img for mini-m8s, uInitrd, Image)
              - copy folder /lib/modules/3.14.65-61 from ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img and put in /lib/modules/
              2. To solve Wifi issue (message "Failed to to power up DHD generic adapter" in boot time), I delete dhd in /etc/modules
              3. Remove folder network-online.target.wants from /etc/systemd/system/ , i do this because i have error message "A start job is running for Raise network interfaces" in boot time.

for now, i'am happy....
              > The Mate Desktop right now is very smooth , its like using Xfce in Armbian (before in original ubuntu multi dtb from balbes150, the mate desktop is slow...)
              > Firefox stable (in ubuntu multi dtb and armbian debian jessie from balbas is unstable, i have segmentation fault...)
              > The color maping problem is gone, but Kodi and VLC cannot play Video smooth like with original kernel.

For now, i need kernel source for Ubuntu Multi DTB from Balbes150, to compile module driver for my Internal Wifi adapter.

@Balbes150
              If you read this, please share kernel source for ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img , i want to compile it under Ubuntu Mate in android tv box.
              Thanks...
              Last edited by sukanime; 09-28-2016, 15:31.

Comment

All the details and links to the source code for this kernel You can find here.

Comment

yup, you're right.

After i have playing with Armbian from Balbas, Ubuntu multi DTB from Balbes150 and Minimx Ubuntu v0 and v1.
                  I decided to i use minimix_ubuntu_1.img, but i modified:
                  1. To Solve Color maping issue, I change the default kernel.
                  - remove all files in BOOT Partition, then Replace with the one from ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img (like s905_autoscript, dtb.img for mini-m8s, uInitrd, Image)
                  - copy folder /lib/modules/3.14.65-61 from ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img and put in /lib/modules/
                  2. To solve Wifi issue (message "Failed to to power up DHD generic adapter" in boot time), I delete dhd in /etc/modules
                  3. Remove folder network-online.target.wants from /etc/systemd/system/ , i do this because i have error message "A start job is running for Raise network interfaces" in boot time.

for now, i'am happy....
                  > The Mate Desktop right now is very smooth , its like using Xfce in Armbian (before in original ubuntu multi dtb from balbes150, the mate desktop is slow...)
                  > Firefox stable (in ubuntu multi dtb and armbian debian jessie from balbas is unstable, i have segmentation fault...)
                  > The color maping problem is gone, but Kodi and VLC cannot play Video smooth like with original kernel.

For now, i need kernel source for Ubuntu Multi DTB from Balbes150, to compile module driver for my Internal Wifi adapter.

@Balbes150
                  If you read this, please share kernel source for ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img , i want to compile it under Ubuntu Mate in android tv box.
                  Thanks...
                  I tried your method but then it will not complete the boot, it complains that it can't mount the root filesystem. BTW, did you copy the entire modules/3.14... or the files within it?

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
                    All the details and links to the source code for this kernel You can find here.

http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?...uilding_kernel
                    thanks...
                    it's just as i thought, so i have to make the whole kernel........
                    i hope there is a "apt-get install kernel-source".....

Comment

I tried your method but then it will not complete the boot, it complains that it can't mount the root filesystem.
                      it's because the partition label.... you can use gparted and change the label second partition from ubuntu to ROOTFS
                      or you can use the method below.

BTW, did you copy the entire modules/3.14... or the files within it?
                      i copy the entire folder /lib/modules/3.14.65-61 and the files within it.

here step by step with 16GB MicroSD:
                      1. Burn ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img to microsd
                      Code:
                      root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# dd if=ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M  &&  sync
                      2. Take out and insert again the Microsd card, then open Gparted to resize partition label ROOTFS ( its the second partition with ext4 filesystem ).

3. Take out and insert again the Microsd card, then mount it.

4. i use Laptop with Kubuntu 13.04, so its mounted in folder :
                      - BOOT Partition = /media/BOOT/
                      - ROOTFS Partition = /media/ROOTFS/

5. Go to /media/BOOT/ , then change dtb.img to your Android Box dtb, mine is mini-m8s.dtb then rename it to dtb.img

6. Go to /media/ROOTFS/, delete everything in there, but do not delete or leave the folder /lib/modules/3.14.65-61

7. Lets Mount minimix_ubuntu_1.img , to copy all files in second partition
                      Code:
                      root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# mkdir /mnt/disk
                      root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# mount minimx_ubuntu_1.img /mnt/disk/ -o loop,offset=135266304
                      8. Go to /mnt/disk/ and copy all the files in there to /media/ROOTFS/

9. Go to /media/ROOTFS/etc/fstab, change it like this:
                      Code:
                      LABEL=BOOT    /media/boot    vfat    defaults,rw,owner,flush,umask=000 0 0
                      LABEL=ROOTFS    /        ext4    noatime,errors=remount-ro   0   1

#UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 1
                      10. You can skip this, but because my wifi card is realtek, so i have to disable Broadcom driver.
                      So If your wifi card not Broadcom, you can disable error message when loading Broadcom module driver in /media/ROOTFS/etc/modules, change like this:
                      Code:
                      # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
                      #
                      # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
                      # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
                      #dhd
                      11. To activate the USB Port in the back, write this command in /media/ROOTFS/etc/rc.local before exit 0
                      Code:
                      echo 0x1 > /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_a/buspower
                      so my rc.local will be like this:
                      Code:
                      #!/bin/bash
                      #
                      # rc.local
                      #
                      # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
                      # Make sure that the script will "" on success or any other
                      # value on error.
                      #
                      # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
                      # bits.
                      #
                      # By default this script does nothing.

dmesg -n 1
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb*/scal*
                      echo 16 | tee /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
                      chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
                      chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
                      chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/amstream/vcodec_profile

chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
                      chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
                      chmod 666 /dev/mali
                      chmod 666 -R /sys/class/am*

chmod 666 -R /dev/snd/*
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec
                      #chmod 666 /sys/devices/platform/spdif-dit.0/spdif_mute
                      chmod 666 /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

#Pengaktifan Port USB Belakang
                      if [ -a /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_a/buspower ]; then
                       echo "Aktifkan Port USB untuk Kernel 3.14.65"
                       echo 0x1 > /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_a/buspower
                      else
                       echo "File tidak ada, bukan Kernel 3.14.65"
                      fi

if [ -a /sys/devices/dwc2_a/buspower ]; then
                       echo "Aktifkan Port USB untuk Kernel 3.14.29"
                       echo 0x1 > /sys/devices/dwc2_a/buspower
                      else
                       echo "File tidak ada, bukan Kernel 3.14.29"
                      fi

exit 0

12. Umount /media/BOOT , /mnt/disk and /media/ROOTFS
                      Code:
                      root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# umount /mnt/disk
                      root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# umount /media/BOOT
                      root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# umount /media/ROOTFS
                      13. Take out the Microsd Card and put it on Android TV Box.

Edit:
                      Fyi, because i don't like NetworkManager Dispatcher always give error message in boot time, i disable it.
                      Code:
                      odroid@odroid64:~$ sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-dispatcher
                      now my boot time much faster without it.
                      Last edited by sukanime; 09-30-2016, 00:47. Reason: add more info

Comment

My Ubuntu Mate Desktop in Mini M8S ( Amlogic S905 @2Ghz + Ram 2GB + eMMC 8GB + MicroSD 16GB )
                        Still no sound , no internal wifi and no video playback support, of course no kodi support....

Edit:
                        SoC Amlogic S900 series (S905, S905H, S905X and S912) only have 1,5Ghz speed.... after read this http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=23044
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Last edited by sukanime; 10-02-2016, 18:56. Reason: CPU Clock only 1,536 Ghz.... after i upgrade the kernel....

Comment

it's because the partition label.... you can use gparted and change the label second partition from ubuntu to ROOTFS
                          or you can use the method below.

i copy the entire folder /lib/modules/3.14.65-61 and the files within it.

here step by step with 16GB MicroSD:
                          1. Burn ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img to microsd
                          Code:
                          root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# dd if=ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M && sync
                          2. Take out and insert again the Microsd card, then open Gparted to resize partition label ROOTFS ( its the second partition with ext4 filesystem ).

3. Take out and insert again the Microsd card, then mount it.

4. i use Laptop with Kubuntu 13.04, so its mounted in folder :
                          - BOOT Partition = /media/BOOT/
                          - ROOTFS Partition = /media/ROOTFS/

5. Go to /media/BOOT/ , then change dtb.img to your Android Box dtb, mine is mini-m8s.dtb then rename it to dtb.img

6. Go to /media/ROOTFS/, delete everything in there, but do not delete or leave the folder /lib/modules/3.14.65-61

7. Lets Mount minimix_ubuntu_1.img , to copy all files in second partition
                          Code:
                          root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# mkdir /mnt/disk
                          root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# mount minimx_ubuntu_1.img /mnt/disk/ -o loop,offset=135266304
                          8. Go to /mnt/disk/ and copy all the files in there to /media/ROOTFS/

9. Go to /media/ROOTFS/etc/fstab, change it like this:
                          Code:
                          LABEL=BOOT /media/boot vfat defaults,rw,owner,flush,umask=000 0 0
                          LABEL=ROOTFS / ext4 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

#UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 1
                          10. because my wifi card is realtek, so i have to disable Broadcom driver.
                          So If your wifi card not Broadcom, you can disable error message when loading Broadcom module driver in /media/ROOTFS/etc/modules, change like this:
                          Code:
                          # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
                          #
                          # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
                          # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
                          #dhd

11. Umount /media/BOOT , /mnt/disk and /media/ROOTFS
                          Code:
                          root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# umount /mnt/disk
                          root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# umount /media/BOOT
                          root@Asus-X201EV:/home/sukanime# umount /media/ROOTFS
                          10. Take out the Microsd Card and put it on Android TV Box.
                          Thanks, I'm in the process now. Any thoughts about gpu driver? I was thinking about adding this to the kernel: http://malideveloper.arm.com/resourc...ernel-drivers/

Comment

Thanks, I'm in the process now. Any thoughts about gpu driver? I was thinking about adding this to the kernel: http://malideveloper.arm.com/resourc...ernel-drivers/
                            Your welcome.
                            Hmm, i havent though it, right now my priority to get sound and wifi to working.

Btw, four days ago, Hardkernel release new kernel for Odroid C2,
                            here the link for kernel image 3.14.79-84 ( fyi, the current kernel is 3.14.65-61 but i don't know the changelog ) :
                            - kernel image = http://deb.odroid.in/c2/pool/main/l/...0926_arm64.deb

and the header and kernel source for 3.14.79-84
                            - kernel header = http://deb.odroid.in/c2/pool/main/l/...0926_arm64.deb
                            - kernel source = https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/...rnel-84.tar.gz
                            this the kernel source i have looking for compiling driver, but when i search or ask, the answer is to get https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/...droidc2-3.14.y
                            or to go here http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?...uilding_kernel ,
                            afaik this only for building custom kernel, not the official binary kernel from hardkernel that running in ubuntu mate.
                            ps: i'am sry, my english not good, its hard to try explain what i though....
                            Last edited by sukanime; 09-30-2016, 00:30.

Comment

Your welcome.
                              Hmm, i havent though it, right now my priority to get sound and wifi to working.

Btw, four days ago, Hardkernel release new kernel for Odroid C2,
                              here the link for kernel image 3.14.79-84 ( fyi, the current kernel is 3.14.65-61 but i don't know the changelog ) :
                              - kernel image = http://deb.odroid.in/c2/pool/main/l/...0926_arm64.deb

and the header and kernel source for 3.14.79-84
                              - kernel header = http://deb.odroid.in/c2/pool/main/l/...0926_arm64.deb
                              - kernel source = https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/...rnel-84.tar.gz
                              this the kernel source i have looking for compiling driver, but when i search or ask, the answer is to get https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/...droidc2-3.14.y
                              or to go here http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?...uilding_kernel ,
                              afaik this only for building custom kernel, not the official binary kernel from hardkernel that running in ubuntu mate.
                              ps: i'am sry, my english not good, its hard to try explain what i though....
                              Thanks, very interesting. No worries about your english man, I will ask if I don't understand . I did not get the sdcard from your method to boot, however the ubuntu-multi runs pretty well on my Beelink MX-III box so I will try to build a custom kernel from the source you addressed here. I will try to incorporate the gpu and wifi driver. I am not worried about sound, I have an usb soundcard attached and it works. Please let me know if you make any progress

Comment

Thanks, very interesting. No worries about your english man, I will ask if I don't understand . I did not get the sdcard from your method to boot, however the ubuntu-multi runs pretty well on my Beelink MX-III box so I will try to build a custom kernel from the source you addressed here. I will try to incorporate the gpu and wifi driver. I am not worried about sound, I have an usb soundcard attached and it works. Please let me know if you make any progress
                                hmm, to bad if it not boot.
                                btw , when i booting my mini m8s, i saw mali drm driver is loaded, perhaps this is mali gpu driver,
                                what about your? perhaps you could check by type command dmesg?

i just install linux image 3.14.79-84 , but when reboot, it said cannot find root fs.... so i have dropped to shell....

then with new microsdcard, i try to play with official odroid c2 image ( ubuntu64-16.04lts-mate-odroid-c2-20160525.img ), i change BOOT partition files with s905_autoscript and dtb from ubuntu multi, and..... i can boot.... i have ubuntu mate desktop.... the the box restart....
                                now.... my mini m8s is bricked..... ehehehehe.....

for now.... i still download stock rom, and try this method to un brick.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=361

i will play with Mini M8S tomorrow...
                                Last edited by sukanime; 09-30-2016, 10:29. Reason: add more info

Comment

Working...
                                X