No announcement yet.

Polaroid PMID701i Andriod 4.0 Icecream Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only have to say stuck in the manner that I cant flash other firmwares at this time. Device boots and runs fine on the current onda firmware. I AM STILL WITH SABER THOUGH. THIS IS NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK FOR YOU. IF YOUR NOT WILLING TO POSSIBLY DAMAGE YOUR TOYS, PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR DEVICE. this just so happened to work for me

Comment

Well for those that care about getting a TV out jack I went back to the second store that had a few of the I models I got my first I from. There was one in the display that probably came in with their first batch before the new ones I got mine from and the assistant manager was fine with opening the box once she finally understood what I wanted. Luckily it still has the video out jack so we traded my other one out then she refunded me for the C model I bought at the other store I told her I didn't want her to have to open every box and she didn't want to either but she said she would if that's what it takes to make me happy so I was impressed with her attitude and customer service skills. I told her what was up about how the box says it has a jack and the newer ones don't but the older ones do and we got lucky with the only box in the display that was a I model so anyone thinking about getting one and wanting or needing the video out may have to open a few boxes. I don't think there is any way to tell on the outside of the box. The one I have now is the same artwork and description that the new one without the jack had. The C boxes are slightly different. Good luck and it's still a awesome tablet for the money.

Comment

So does flash work on the 4.0? Cause if it does I'm returning mine ASAP

Comment

If your referring to adobe flash, yes in some situations. I am able to use mine to play games on kongregate

Comment

Originally posted by ghostfayce View Post
            If your referring to adobe flash, yes in some situations. I am able to use mine to play games on kongregate
            Have you tried streaming video at all? netflix?

Comment

Netflix works great on mine actually. Im not on stock firmware anymore though. On stock firmware I seen a small bit of lag, but not much. I'M NOT SAYING TO FLASH NEW FIRMWARE. ITS RISKY!!!!!

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but I have to ask: people talk about the jack being there on some ("early") 4.0/'I' versions, but, is it functional? Maybe there's a reason for it's physical disappearance; i.e., it wasn't going to be operational. (So "early" versions were the last of 'C's hardware with video-less 4.0 firmware.)

Comment

I guess I'll have to check mine out. Pretty sure the cable for my WDTVLive should work, I'll be back in a bit.
                  OK, It works but you have to play with the cables to get the color output right as it appears that the colors on my cable don't match what the tablet is putting out.
                  No sound of course unless you also hook up the headphone jack or maybe it needs a cable with audio tied in too. It does still play sound through the built in cheap speaker and it sounds OK. SO far it plays a 1280x720 HD MKV and a MOV file just fine too but file transfers from USB to the SD card I have in it are painfully slow.
                  This is why I was hoping some units show up with a HDMI out jack as sound and everything would be taken care of but at least it works and can be dealt with.
                  The video appears to be full res and smooth by the way Guess I'll need to use my card reader to transfer big files but everything does work if you have at least a breakout component cable from something. Maybe the camcorder style ones or the one they want to sell you has the audio outs too, don't have anything like that to try here that I know of.
                  Last edited by Dartman; 04-21-2012, 22:13.

Comment

I have not actually tried my video out yet. Dont currently have a cable available to me. Hopefully getting one from a friend

Comment

Originally posted by smokey861 View Post
                      Im located in Dayton. It seems like the west coast got them first
                      Hi I am in Columbus Oh and picked up 2of the I's at the BL located at 5419 Robert Rd. They both have the video jack.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
                        I hear ya. At least your Netflix is watchable (I'm assuming with the latest netflix app). Mine, like many others, was just unwatchable on the 701c. It would start to play for a minute or two and then the audio would get out of sync...then it would just freeze.

I had to download and install an older version of Netflix (1.5.2) to get a watchable version of Netflix. There is still a very slight audio sync issue but it's not terrible.

One of the things I always wonder about with these budget tablets is quality control. From what I've read it seems like performance can really vary from individual tablet to tablet with the same model number.
                        Hi how did you get the 1.5.2 ver to work?? when i downloaded that ver. i was to update to the newer ver and it would not allow me to go any further until i did update. thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by mgrankin View Post
                          Hi how did you get the 1.5.2 ver to work?? when i downloaded that ver. i was to update to the newer ver and it would not allow me to go any further until i did update. thanks in advance
                          I just hit "Cancel" instead of "OK" when it asks about updating.
                          It typically asks you to update every time you open it, start a video or return to the main menu to browse. Just tapping "Cancel" every time works for me.

Are you saying its trying to force you to update when installing 1.5.2? I don't remember mine doing that when I installed...but if it did I'm sure I just cancelled out and didn't hit "OK" for any updates.

Comment

Follow up

Pretty much just an update on my previous post about this

I have since been able to use livesuite to successfully flash over shawns stock rom from pmid701c. Ginger bread runs nice I have to say. Antutu gave it 3189 overclocked scaling at: max: 1200mhz min: 870mhz scaling: performance. ONCE AGAIN DO NOT TRY THESE SETTINGS AS I CANNOT PROMISE WHAT IT MAY DO TO YOUR DEVICE.

Just flashed over to onda ics 4.0 v5. About to load on Antutu and see what I can get from this one

Unfortunate bit of news, Im unable to get this one into a recovery mode

odd bit off new:
                            Safe mode???? what????

Last edited by ghostfayce; 04-21-2012, 23:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartman View Post
                              I guess I'll have to check mine out. Pretty sure the cable for my WDTVLive should work, I'll be back in a bit.
                              OK, It works but you have to play with the cables to get the color output right as it appears that the colors on my cable don't match what the tablet is putting out.
                              No sound of course unless you also hook up the headphone jack or maybe it needs a cable with audio tied in too. It does still play sound through the built in cheap speaker and it sounds OK. SO far it plays a 1280x720 HD MKV and a MOV file just fine too but file transfers from USB to the SD card I have in it are painfully slow.
                              Not every mini-3 to RCA3 seems to work. I have two - one from a Canon camera which kind of worked but the blue signal never passed through properly (and I know the cable does work on the camera) and a cable from a Airlink 101 digital converter box which worked fine, once I got the cables correct. Looking at the two cables, the mini plug on the Canon is shorter physically than the airlink. The airlink also does not go all the way in to the plug - about 1/8" of shaft sits out.

I guess there is a "perfect" cable from the mfg but I haven't looked for it. Sure a mini-hdmi would have been great as would a camera but you can't have everything.

In my case yellow = Pr, white = Pb and red = Y.

I had to plug directly into the TV as extensions - even RCA female/female extenders did not work. I have a feeling the tablet "sees" a signal of some sort to open the monitor pass through.

With pictures and browser, pic appears on both TV and tablet. With video, the tablet goes blank and video only appears on the TV. If you start the video with the TV connected it appears like sound "looks" for the TV and nothing comes out of the tablet. If you start the video and then plug in the TV, sound comes from the tablet.

I got the microphone to work with skype, after a few tries. Skype has a round mic icon with a slash through it that I thought meant NO MIC, but if you click on it, the mic icon turns blue (still with the slash) and the mic records sound, although not too loud. There is also a google play/android market sound recorder that works too. Unfortunately a google play software called Soundback, which might let you control the table with voice will not download as the Polaroid tablet is not recognized and rejects the install. Maybe someone can extract the apk file, if there is one, on another device to try it.

So, for the price it is OK to pretty good to play with. Google play games work fine. The accelerometer works fine with stock install. I just added Google play so I have another place to download apps.

Wish it had a camera and a mini-hdmi port but you can't have everything.

Comment

I'm just glad I got a unit that still has the video port but I am surprised they didn't just do a mini HDMI instead, probably not any more money to include it instead. I'm making a small HD video I like into all sorts of containers to see what it can and can't play. I can say it will not play WTV files but I don't think too many players can anyways, it will play DIVX files just fine as I have a bunch of those and it played a few.
                                I'm really happy with mine for the money so far and I have compared the screen directly to my dirt cheap 7" Sylvania mini tablet that Big Lots also sells and this guy is way brighter and just looks way better, but I only paid 70 shipped for that one and it also plays most video files to my TV well. The capacitive touch screen is a treat after dealing with the resistive screen on the other one and the USB port works on my win7 64 PC just fine. It also will work with a SD card formatted as exfat and pretty sure NTSF though I haven't tried that one yet. I charged this one till it was full and it ran off and on from 7 am or so this morning and still had about 35 percent battery left at 3 or so. I think this one will one another fun ride to see how far it can go for what it is and am having fun playing with it, plus so far the WiFi has been rock solid on mine too. The Sylvania was fun to play with and got a few goodies like being able to root and play angry birds pretty well and this one seems much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X