Minix Neo X7 - Finless 1.8 ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK let me answer a few...

1) I correct the first post so it says 1.8 above the download links. Thanks for letting me know. That's what I get trying to save time and cut and pasting from the 1.7 post.

2) Home screen lag. I had not noticed it. Is it just the center screen or do all screen of the launcher lag? Minix put in some garbage APPS in the provision service I removed. The launcher was hiding those APPs. On this 007e release I did not replace the launcher this time as I did not see those apps anymore. I bet if you took the launcher I rebuilt from my 1.7 ROM and put it in 1.8, the lag maybe fixed. If someone is willing to try this, I will provide the launcher.

3) When I compared the files from 007 to 007e MANY and I mean MANY files were updated by Minix. Framework, APPS, libs, etc. So yes there is a significant difference.

4) Whenever you get download failures from Google Play, make sure your time is set right!!!! This is a know issues. On first boot your time might be 1970. So either connect and if your router updates time great. If not set time manually.

5) Sloppy? I have always been a little sloppy

6) Hard drive un-mounting. Unfortunately this has been an issue with Google AOSP since 4.1.1. Why this got removed is beyond me. It use to be in Gingerbread. Most people use the free Mount Manager APP to unmounts hard disks.

I think I got most of the questions?

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      I am still working on the sixaxis thing but at this point I have not found a solution.

Bob
      Hi Finless,

just got an neo x7 and the first thing I did was flash you 1.7. Was very pleased with it but I do use sixaxis, so I have just flashed 1.6. Question, can I use the kernels from 1.8 or 1.7 on 1.6 rom? I get random reboot on 1.6 rom with 1080p air kernel, which I dint get on 1.7 with 1080p kernel. Wonder if the new kernel would make 1.6 rom more stable when running 1080p.

kind regards and thanks for an awesome rom. Oh, I do prefer the new boot animation, is there a flashable zip?

Comment

T428 with Finless 1.8 rom

This is the best rom yet. Netflix works, surround sound works and video is flawless. I also installed Lewy20041's justxbmc rom, now I have surround sound via hdmi. This T428 is running great now. Thanks to Finless Bob and Lewy20041 and all the other devs that make these android devices do what they are capable of doing. I recall back about 6 months ago, the video was horrible, and the wifi and ethernet would constantly loose connections. It was even said that these devices would never have surround sound. the only thing left for me to wish for is to have my Logitech C310 webcam working.
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Has anyone tried updating 1.7 to 1.8 by flashing just boot, kernel and system and then booting to CWM recovery to wipe the system and Dalvik caches?

In essence I'm asking whether an update is possible without having to wipe out user data? My current setup works so smoothly that I probably won't be bothering with a full install and Titanium restore if this partial procedure is not a recommended way for upgrading.
          NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
          NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
          Buy me a beer?

Comment

Minix Neo X7 shut down problem

Hello all,
            I flashed both the Finless 1.7 and 1.8 ROM (just last night) and on both of them encountered the problem of Minix shutting down in the middle of operation. This usually happens when I use Netflix or stream a movie using another application, but it also happened to me while browsing using the file explorer.
            I don't know if this is because I am using the ethernet connection and not Wifi (via PLC), or because I use the SPDIF and HDMI sound output option, or because I flashed the 1080p ROM while my TV supports 720p.
            Has anyone else encountered problems using ethernet? has anyone else encountered this problem at all?

Comment

Originally posted by roeegrb View Post
              Hello all,
              I flashed both the Finless 1.7 and 1.8 ROM (just last night) and on both of them encountered the problem of Minix shutting down in the middle of operation. This usually happens when I use Netflix or stream a movie using another application, but it also happened to me while browsing using the file explorer.
              I don't know if this is because I am using the ethernet connection and not Wifi (via PLC), or because I use the SPDIF and HDMI sound output option, or because I flashed the 1080p ROM while my TV supports 720p.
              Has anyone else encountered problems using ethernet? has anyone else encountered this problem at all?

Hi, did you flashed any overclocked 1080P kernel and if yes witch one?

Comment

Originally posted by Killerdude View Post
                Hi, did you flashed any overclocked 1080P kernel and if yes witch one?
                No, I flashed the default 1080p kernel, not overclocked ones

Comment

No, I flashed the default 1080p kernel, not overclocked ones

Try to flash the justXBMC 1.2.1 rom from lewy, use the rock chip batch tool.
                  after that use finless rom 1.8 rom flash tool to just flash the kernel from finless rom 1.8
                  use a basic not overclocked kernel. This will work.

Comment

X7 smooth 1080p video achievable with which formats + player + connection?

I've installed the Finless 1.7 OC'd firmware to my new X7. I plan to try out the 1.8.

Before doing that I wanted to confirm with the group what encoding / player / connection method others have used to achieve 'smooth' 1080p video playback. I'm struggling.

I've tried various options including:
                    - Wifi or fixed cable
                    - SMB or NFS
                    - Archos player / justXBMC
                    - different display settings in terms of refresh rate etc

I've been unable to get my OC'd X7 to play a ripped blue ray in .mkv format without major stuttering ie. it's not acceptable for viewing.

If it helps the typical encoding (as per File Info from Archos) is:
                    H.264 1920x1080 26693kb/s 23fps ....typically 20GB to 30GB file size.

If I play lower res movies of the encoding below they are better but still not perfect
                    MPEG-2 720x576 6940kb/s 25fps / AC3

I really don't want to re-encode and I'd hoped the Minix X7 would replace my bulky HTPC for media consumption.

Question 1: are others playing similar mkvs successfully?
                    Question 2: if so, any suggestions where I'm going wrong / what combination of the above are you using?

All suggestions welcome, and thanks to Finless for a much snappier experience over the shipped firmware I started with.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                      This is the best rom yet. Netflix works, surround sound works and video is flawless. I also installed Lewy20041's justxbmc rom, now I have surround sound via hdmi. This T428 is running great now. Thanks to Finless Bob and Lewy20041 and all the other devs that make these android devices do what they are capable of doing. I recall back about 6 months ago, the video was horrible, and the wifi and ethernet would constantly loose connections. It was even said that these devices would never have surround sound. the only thing left for me to wish for is to have my Logitech C310 webcam working.
                      Hi, what kernal are you running with your T428 and is it running hot with 1080p?

Comment

Originally posted by sbarriba View Post
                        I've installed the Finless 1.7 OC'd firmware to my new X7. I plan to try out the 1.8.

Before doing that I wanted to confirm with the group what encoding / player / connection method others have used to achieve 'smooth' 1080p video playback. I'm struggling.

I've tried various options including:
                        - Wifi or fixed cable
                        - SMB or NFS
                        - Archos player / justXBMC
                        - different display settings in terms of refresh rate etc

I've been unable to get my OC'd X7 to play a ripped blue ray in .mkv format without major stuttering ie. it's not acceptable for viewing.

If it helps the typical encoding (as per File Info from Archos) is:
                        H.264 1920x1080 26693kb/s 23fps ....typically 20GB to 30GB file size.

If I play lower res movies of the encoding below they are better but still not perfect
                        MPEG-2 720x576 6940kb/s 25fps / AC3

I really don't want to re-encode and I'd hoped the Minix X7 would replace my bulky HTPC for media consumption.

Question 1: are others playing similar mkvs successfully?
                        Question 2: if so, any suggestions where I'm going wrong / what combination of the above are you using?

All suggestions welcome, and thanks to Finless for a much snappier experience over the shipped firmware I started with.

hi, the solution now for XBMC is install lewy justXBMC rom 1.2.1
                        after that use finless rom 1.8 and flash 1080P kernel, choose the 1.8Ghz CPU, 600Mhz GPU and 800Mhz DDR3 MEM. After that let the x7 start up, this will take some time but it's worth it.
                        after this XBMC. Should run very well, even pass trough digital sound works. This means DTS or DD5.1 works smooth as silk.

on question 1: the best way to play full HD on a neo x7 is the use of ES explorer.
                        go to the folder where the MKV are placed. Play the MKV file with MX player.
                        don't forget to install MX player v7 neon codec, this will make it work very good.

to answer your second question, the best version of software for running XBMC on x7 is just like I told flash lewy justXBMC ver 1.2.1 and after that flash kernel from finless rom 1.8
                        this is a rock solid stable way to run XBMC. With full HD Support and digital pass trough sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerdude View Post
                          Try to flash the justXBMC 1.2.1 rom from lewy, use the rock chip batch tool.
                          after that use finless rom 1.8 rom flash tool to just flash the kernel from finless rom 1.8
                          use a basic not overclocked kernel. This will work.
                          Thank you killerdude. Won't that make my X7 XBMC only?
                          Can I ask why you reccomend flashing this ROM? have you encountered stability issues with the Finless ROM?

Comment

Originally posted by Molle View Post
                            Has anyone tried updating 1.7 to 1.8 by flashing just boot, kernel and system and then booting to CWM recovery to wipe the system and Dalvik caches?

In essence I'm asking whether an update is possible without having to wipe out user data? My current setup works so smoothly that I probably won't be bothering with a full install and Titanium restore if this partial procedure is not a recommended way for upgrading.
                            Yes i always flash boot, kernel and system imgs with cwm without wipe the user data. If some app have problem then i use titanium.

Comment

t428 running cool

Originally posted by freshjustin View Post
                              Hi, what kernal are you running with your T428 and is it running hot with 1080p?
                              I have not tried running any 1080P video. I am using Finless 1.8 stock rom, and it runs without any change in temperature of the stick. Heat is always one of my concerns when trying a new rom, so I am reluctant to do any overclocking on this stick.
                              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Thank you killerdude. Won't that make my X7 XBMC only?
                                Can I ask why you reccomend flashing this ROM? have you encountered stability issues with the Finless ROM?

No XBMC will work if you click on the icon. With the new lewy justXBMC 1.2.1 it is possible to let XBMC auto start when the x7 starts, you can find this setting in the setting menu of android.

Comment

Working...
                                X