No announcement yet.

Big Lots Releases Polaroid 4.3" Touch MP3 With Android 2.2 - PTAB 4300 - $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just purchased this today. I've been doing a lot reading and things have lead me to here. This is my first Android device and I figured this would be a good entry point for me at $60. It has the Rockchip RK2818 CPU (600MHz) and probably for all intensive purposes is very similar to the 7200 devices discussed here. I am not sure about the resolution last article I read said its 480×272 though. I was first tempted to try to download the 7200 drivers from Southern Telecom but in the back of mind I thought there might be issues. I truly hope bricking this thing is hard to do. I wanted to play around today so I thought I'd take it easy.

About Device report this info:

Model Number
    PTAB4300

Android Version

Kernel version

Build number

Internal Flash Storage
    4GB (I'm down to 2.55 playin around today)

I'm a noob to Android devices curently have a Blackberry Tour haven't done much to that though since it belongs to my job. Used to do a lot of phreaking to my Moto Razor though (Fun Times). XDA Developer forums led me here. You guys have been busy. Probably later on this week after doing more reading and understanding of the OS I'll see if anyone has any input here and then get down to the nitty gritty.

Do you know if the stock firmware is available for download on Polaroid site?
    If so, I may be able to make a ROM for it. If not, then the only way is to dump the stock ROM from the tablet using either ADB or Linux RKDump.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

The only firmware I see on the Souther Telecom site is for the PTAB 7200 and the PMID 7200. When you say ADB do you mean Android Debug Bridge? Being a noob not used to all the Android acronyms yet.

Comment

I think it may technically be called the pmid4300 and there is no update for it yet: http://southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/updates.html

Comment

Was wondering when the first one would hit FreakTab, I saw the link for Its manual on their site last week.
          Sent from my PTAB7200 using Tapatalk and Finless' 1.4 ROM

Comment

Yes ADB Bridge and it is a tool that can dump a stock ROM from the tablet. ADB is a Windows app so you would need to try and get a "simi root" to do it. RK Dump is a set of tools that can dump a ROM in flash mode but you need linux to do it.

Bob

Comment

60 dollars is a GREAT deal!!!

Comment

I thought it was a great deal too. Went back yesterday they had one left so I got one for my 17 year old daughter. She's a FB and Twitter junkie so she was ecstatic. I look at the manuals for the other devices yesterday too. I guess since the 4300 is 61% smaller than the 7200's they only get 61% of the manual that the 7200 customer get. Because everything that the 7200 manuals cover regarding functionality is ditto for 4300. Seem like 7200s have buttons around the bezel I have 3 buttons (Power, Back and Menu) all located under the display. The 7200c has component out(Don't need that my Roku and my Plex Server handle that for me). Overall I think I'm in good company here with you guys. Hope some other 4.3" users get on board too though. I got a USB cable but not the USB stick adapter but I don't think I'd be using it anyway. I like SD & MicroSD Cards and I have a slew of adapters to make them do my bidding.

Comment

HELP with Wi fi

I purchased a PATB4300 and can not get it to connect to Wi FI? Does anyone know how? Everytime I try it says connecting then says disconnected??

Comment

Some of the other ROMs out there have had this issue before. Try setting a Static IP address rather than letting it get one from the router. This usually solves this kind of issue.

Bob

Comment

Bob, I convert my old laptops to Linux mint for the kids. If I want to open the hood on my wife's tablet does RKDump work without root? (assuming my wife will let me any were near it, she knows me so well).

Sent from my NXM726HN using Tapatalk

Comment

You need to get a file on /data.
                        /data is where user APPS get installed so it is r/w by the system. Some tablets will allow you to write there and some will not with out SU ability. First install some kind of file manager that allows writing to this area (ES FIle explorer or somehting). See if you can then copy the needed file to /data. If not then you will need to see if you can get SU by doing a "semi" root. Try z4root or gingerbreak. Then see if you can install superuser.apk.

Bottom line you need to get the needed file on /data per the instructions.

Bob

Comment

Thanks

Sent from my NXM726HN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                            Some of the other ROMs out there have had this issue before. Try setting a Static IP address rather than letting it get one from the router. This usually solves this kind of issue.

Bob

Thanks, not to sound like a complete idiot but how do I do that? I am not the most savy computer guy!

Comment

Having trouble with lack of Android Market

I got a PTAB4300 too and was excited till I discovered several problems I think are related to the lack of Android Market. I added Amazon App Market, hoping I'd be able to get what I wanted from there, but several apps are noticably missing (Gmail app, Overdrive, and a decent calendar app). I did install Executive Assistant Free version, which helped me work around the calendar problem, but I can still only view my "agenda" for a couple of days (I can't see or add appointments for the future). I also find I can't sign into my audible account having installed the audible for android app (yea, I checked the password and everything first).

I'm a bit of a noob myself, but have flashed a new rom to an older (m001) tablet. I tried, unsuccessfully, to run SuperOneClick on this to see if I could use the instructions for adding the Google Framework API to a Kindle to get the standard calendar, contacts, and market.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X