Big Lots Releases Polaroid 4.3" Touch MP3 With Android 2.2 - PTAB 4300 - $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

android market

I just brought this from Groupon from RM499, and but unfortunately it did not come with the android market apps and apparently it can’t be installed also. So after surfing the net and trying …

got android market working and install apps with this

Comment

Ok gang I'm having problems. I finally got this thing rooted at least a temporary root that is. I tried Z4Mod with no luck. I am able to get a temporary root with SuperOneClick 1.8 using the Root Shell option. I can go to ADB type in ADB Shell and get the infamous "#" sign. Funny thing though in USB Debugging mode it identifies my tablet as an HTC Dream. I tried going in to the the usn inf file and creating my own entry but something went wrong. So I just figured go ahead and try it anyway since it identified it as an Android device. For all intensive purposes I don't think it made a difference since it worked in ADB and the ADB Devices showed a listing for it.

Ok now I'm stuck getting the ROMs. Can I copy them in ADB shell from Win 7 to my sdcard? Or do I really need to use linux. I have installed Ubuntu to another SD card. So it will boot off the SD card if I put in my computer's SD slot at boot up. It works but I don't even know how to get to a command line prompt. In addition will I need to install drivers for the tablet in Linux so I can acces it?

I saw some other post somewhere mentioning using the "dd" command to copy the Recovery directory to his SD card. So i fugured I could just modify it and run it in ADB shell. But it failed saying something about the destination was invalid or soemthing like that.

Comment

You can do it from windows. Follow this guide:

It is more work to do it from Linux as you have to learn to compile packages etc.

FYI to get a command line in Ubunto, on the left panel are some icons. Near the bottom of that list is a black box icon with a white border. That is your terminal window.

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I think I got it. Do you need anything besides the "update.img" file? Now it did give be a message that said "crc found (4 bytes, 0x3ae67949)". I guess that's a hex code for the crc check? I did so much dancing around with dd command I forgot where you had sent me to first. My apologies I been a little innundated with all this info out there.

Comment

Yes update.img should be all I need!

Do you have a place to upload it?

Bob

Comment

I just sent you a PM with the DropBox(Nice Service!!) link. It will be a few minutes though because I have lousy uplaod speed.

Comment

Downloading it now!

I will let you know if it is good or not. I may not get to rooting it today though. We will see

Bob

Comment

Success! I was able to unpack update.mg with no errors!

Good job. Expect a ROM as soon as I can get to it.

Bob

Comment

OK this tablet is a RK28 processor not a RK29

I may not be able to give you ext4 and possibly not ext3. I tried to do that to a RK28 Arnova 10b (non-G2) and it never worked. The person I was working with gave up with me trying so I never got too far with it.

But I will see what I can do with it. I BET with a good tester especially someone that has ADB setup, we can do it!

So I need you to do something and test your update.img

Download this RK28 Batch tool.

http://video.freaktab.com/?subpath=f...8batchtool.zip

You will need to get the rk28 drivers installed. Then use it to flash your 4300 with the update.img you have. The tool can tell if it is a good ROM. I ran it and it said your update.img was OK. So you should be able to flash it no problem.

Once this test is complete, I will see if with baby steps about rooting it and making at least the /system RW and ext3.

Let me know how the first test goes,
                    Bob

Comment

crazy12know.....

WAIT!!!

Before you flash if you have not already. I think I am going to need a dump of system.img.
                      The system.img in that update I have NO CLUE what it is!
                      Boot.img is mounting it as cramfs which is normal but system.img is NOT CRAMFS. I cant mount it, extract it or anything. So they are doing something funky with it. Probably to block fully rooting it.

However a DUMP of it after it is loaded ont he tab is probably right on. The updater they use must be uncompressing it or something first.

So if you flashed like I asked.. You maybe bricked

I hope not.

So please dump system.img FIRST!

Bob

Comment

Never mind... False Alarm....
                        I got it! It was encrypted. Idiots... WHY do they do that
                        I forgot about that and used rkdecrypt and all is well...
                        I have seen that used on RK28 for update.img but NEVER on system.img. Bastardo's
                        Trying to keep me from rooting this thing! NOT

So on to more work on rooting this beasty

Again I am going to want you to take baby steps here. But first step is that you can flash your Update.img and it works. That is the important part! You need to be able to recover if I make a brick ROM.

So waiting on you and first test.....

Bob

Comment

Hi All,
                          I just joined this forum because of my interest in the Polaroid PTAB4300, which I have now owned for 2 weeks. IMHO it's a good and most importantly a very small and pocketable tablet. Of course, I want to root it, but that is complicated by the lack of a published stock ROM and cramfs on /system. So, I am very glad to find that Finless and crazy12know are working on this.

Although I have relatively little experience with Android tablets, I have successfully rooted 3 of them so far:
                          Velocity Micro CRUZ T103 (Froyo 2.2)
                          Velocity Micro CRUZ R102 (Eclair 2.0)
                          Craig CLP281 (a 7" netbook w/Ethernet plus Wi-Fi, Froyo 2.2)

These were done using instructions I found on slatedroid.com or, in the case of the Craig, a ROM that I found on the XDA developers site. Full credit goes to those who published these instructions or ROM, since I knew nothing beforehand and just followed others' instructions.

The most easy and simple method, which worked on the CRUZ T103, simply involved running the following commands using adb.exe in Windows XP, after installing standard Google Android drivers and verifying the device was present with the command "adb devices":

adb shell
                          #Then, within the shell:
                          mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
                          cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su
                          chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
                          sync
                          reboot Unfortunately, this method won't work with cramfs, since from what I have read it is compressed and truly read-only. I was able to get a root shell in ADB using Superoneclick, but all further efforts to change /system to RW were futile.

The following command did nothing because cramfs apparently cannot be made RW:
                          mount -o rw,remount -t cramfs /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

Although I have a bit of Linux knowledge and a couple of machines running Xubuntu 10.4, in addition to Windows XP, I haven't tried dumping an Android ROM, much less unpacking or repacking an img file, which I don't yet know how to do.

So, I'm very glad you're working on this PATB4300 project and I would like to participate, albeit somewhat cautiously, since of course I don't want to hard-brick the device.

I have a couple of suggestions about removing bloatware, based on my experience Any pre-installed 3rd party apps in /system could be removed, because they could be reinstalled later in /data (where they belong) instead of in /system, if desired.

Also, a couple of suggestions about unneeded system apps that are in /system but most likely not needed on this device:
                          Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk (This is the Dialer, but it's not a phone, just a tablet, so not needed)
                          PicoTts.apk and TtsService.apk (text-to-speech converter)
                          I have removed these system apps from 2 of my other devices without any bad consequences.

Producing 2 ROMs, one with full Google apps added, and one without, is a very nice touch.

I hope I haven't written too much for a first-timer. Thanks for reading.

Comment

Well I staerted to work on this but where did everyone go? No testers willing, I guess I will put it on the side lines.

Bob

Comment

I'm sorry Bob, I missed where you uploaded the test files?

Comment

I have not done the work yet. crazy12know has not responded.

Do you want to test? Trust me this will be small steps 1 at a time. I will probably make a brick ROM on some of the steps. You will need to be comfortable with that and be able to flash the dumped update.img to recover which I do not know if it works 100% either because crazy12know never responded to my forst test.

If you willing I can start.

bob

Comment

Working...
                                X