Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

OK boys and girls, my very first ROM for the Minix X8.
    I needed to do it because of some of the bugs in the latest release from Minix on 5/30.
    For instance the Gplay update bug. All fixed

So even though this is my first and is 1.0, your getting all the fixes, updates, enhancements that I have learned since doing S802 A9 ROMs starting with the Tronsmart S89. So you have everything in it I know so far.

Enjoy!

DO NOT just copy this download ZIP to SDcard and expect it to work!
    UNZIP it and read the README for instructions!

__________________________________________________ _______

Features and release notes for my 1.0 ROM:

1) Properly rooted using SuperSU. What does properly mean?
    Android 4.4.2 requires SU to be running as a daemon now. There are many ways to run this as a daemon.
    Most roots so far are using a install-recovery.sh script or if init.d is enabled, a init.d script.
    This means you could lose root if messing with these scripts which some rooted apps do!
    What I have done is started the daemon in init.rc thus eliminating the need for boot scripts!
    This took me a while to learn to do! Enjoy a BETTER ROOT!

2) Updated Google framework and Play Store core files. The ones in the stock ROM were out of date.
    On first boot NOTHING will need to be updated once you logon to Google Play.
    That is as of this date.
    This does FIX the Google Play update issue in the current Minix ROM

3) Debloated of junk APPs and Google Apps you can get from Google Play.
    I did remove XBMC and other pre-install APPs as well except AirPin Pro.
    I like a CLEAN ROM that you the user can setup the way you want.
    Having APPs in /system leaves that junk in there forever (unless you delete them by hand with a root explorer).

4) init.d support was already in this ROM but I cleaned it up to work so it uses the correct init.d folder.

5) Build.prop edit to open up the Google Play store to APPs that normally say "not compatible".
    I am spoofing a Samsung device (Nexus 10) that will show almost any APP as compatible.
    This should also allow Netflix HD but I have not tested it.
    Your device will show up in google play as Nexus 10 device not a X8! Understand this please.
    I also left the original build.prop in the ROM called build.orig.
    If you want to go back, just use ES FIle Explorer or a root file explorer and rename build.prop to build.old
    Then rename build.orig to build.prop.
    Go into settings, apps, all and go into the Google Play app. Clear the cache and data.
    Reboot! You should be back to showing up as a X8.

7) I added a reboot APP that will allow optional reboot options like reboot to recovery for easier updates.

8) Carrier spoofs for better APP compatibility.

9) The usual tweaks I do for better performance e.g. TCP buffers sizes, etc etc.

10) Added bonus! CPU fixer patches!
    In this ZIP is a CPU_fixer folder. These zips can be used to adjust your minimum CPU frequency and Governor.
    See the README.txt in that folder for an explanation and how to install them.

11) XBMC Notes:
    I did remove the Minix XBMC.
    This is because it wont work on my ROM due to build.prop edits spoofing a Nexus 10.
    However if you want to use the Minix XBMC then copy it from the stock ROM BEFORE you flash this ROM!
    Use EX File Explorer and in the stock ROm copy the XBMC app from /system/preinstall folder to your sdcard.
    Then using instructions from #5 above, rename the build.prop files to change you back to a X8 and reboot.
    Then just install the XBMC APP from sdcard.
    Or just edit the build.prop file using EX File explorer and change this line:
    ro.product.model=Nexus 10
    to
    ro.product.model=NEO-X8
    Alternative!!!! Forget the Minix XBMC and use a special one made for the S802 by Oman.
    Get it here:

Maybe later I will patch the Minix XBMC to work on my ROMs.

OK so here is the download!

READ the README.TXT in the zip for instructions!

ROM -> Minix Neo X8 - Finless 1.0 ROM (343 megs)

UPDATE! 6/7/2014

Device ID FIX patchers available. Go to this post to get info about them and downloads:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post190184

UPDATE! 6/8/2014

Patched Minix XBMC for Finless ROM 1.0. Go to this post to get info about them and downloads:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post190286

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 06-09-2014, 00:42.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Interesting. I just noticed something.

Minix hard coded NEO-X8-H as the device.
    Then to keep people from easily modding it, they odex'ed it

That wont stop me....

I will have a patcher update.zip for you that really want the device to be a Nexus 10 to Google Play and Netflix, etc.

Hang tight... working on it now.

Bob

Comment

WOW, they hid this device model ID really well! I have yet to find where it is hard coded

I hate that crap honestly.... But OK the challenge is on!

SO.... All these views and downloads an NO ONE has anything to say about the ROM?

Bob

Comment

Re: NEW - Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Unfortunately i'm off this weekend, will give it a go monday of tuesday.

Tapatalked
        if [ $up.post.type = $type.two.lazy.to_use_google ] || [ $up.post.type = $type.silly_question ];
        then mv $user.contact.up.post /.trash; set response($response.type = ignore);
        $user.up.post.ignore_in_future = true; fi;

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
          WOW, they hid this device model ID really well! I have yet to find where it is hard coded

SO.... All these views and downloads an NO ONE has anything to say about the ROM?

Bob
          First time I view this thread (and have to wait for my box)
          But this is really nice, so maybe minix xbmc also can used at the other devices, but if not, no matter, it will be nice to use it with your rom's...
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Will this work for Minix X8-H?

Comment

NEW - Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Hi Bob, the ROM we ship is capable to update apps from Play Store, it should be a bug of the engineering ROM only. Thanks.

Comment

Interesting. I just noticed something.

Minix hard coded NEO-X8-H as the device.
                Then to keep people from easily modding it, they odex'ed it

That wont stop me....

I will have a patcher update.zip for you that really want the device to be a Nexus 10 to Google Play and Netflix, etc.

Hang tight... working on it now.

Bob
                Hi Bob, we don't understand what do you mean by hard coded, we didn't do anything special to avoid users modding it. We just make our own settings to enable one ROM for 2 products which is better for users to upgrade and less work for developers.
                And to avoid such confusion, maybe you could chat with us before making the conclusion, I think it's a better way. Thank you very much.

Comment

Bob
                  You know us... You could just ask us... We will tell you straight away...

Comment

Originally posted by MINIX View Post
                    Hi Bob, we don't understand what do you mean by hard coded, we didn't do anything special to avoid users modding it. We just make our own settings to enable one ROM for 2 products which is better for users to upgrade and less work for developers.
                    And to avoid such confusion, maybe you could chat with us before making the conclusion, I think it's a better way. Thank you very much.
                    Nice to hear/read this !!!
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Always on the defensive - I'm still not sure what is different between the minix and the others?

I assume this rom will work on tronsmart with a slight tweak like before?
                      are there any benefits to this over the finless 1.6 ROM (which i assume people can also install on the minix as well?)

Comment

Ok I've got a really simple noob question. Is the hardware decoding only available for the xbmc app as compiled by MINIX or can all apps that play video, Plex for example take advantage of the S802s features.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I found the hard coding. And yes the ROM is hard coded so ro.product.model= is not honored in build.prop. You can change that all day in build.prop but settings (also MBox settings) will still always show NEO-X8-H. Even from a terminal emulator typing getprop ro.product.model returns NEO-X8-H.

Maybe you did not know that your programmer did this but they did. They hard coded that as a persistent selinux property. I found it and now can change it. It was not easy to find as I have never seen something like this hard coded at such a low level before!

So maybe you should ask me
                          I don't need to know now but thanks. Next time I will ask as it did take me a while to find it but you also might not know like this time.
                          You know what an Easter Egg is? Programmers do that without telling management

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dandroid534 View Post
                            Always on the defensive - I'm still not sure what is different between the minix and the others?

I assume this rom will work on tronsmart with a slight tweak like before?
                            are there any benefits to this over the finless 1.6 ROM (which i assume people can also install on the minix as well?)
                            1.6 will not run on the Minix and visa versa! It more than a small tweak!
                            Hardware is different and thus kernels are not fully cross compatible! ROMs can always be ported between boxes if you spend enough time.

AND I will say Minix put a lot more work into this ROM that any of the others so far! There are all kinds of changes to audio and video decoding both at a low level and at the framework level! They for sure invested some programming $$$ into the product much more so than other ROMs so far.

Bob

Comment

So far everything seems to be working well, thanks for all your hard work!

Comment

Working...
                              X