Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
    Yes, I've used the 1200 fix also but the temperature on my box rises at idle to around 65-70deg C using this fix (I think the throttle limit is 65deg c can anyone confirm?) This temperature causes the CPU speed to throttle and reduces the max speed to reduce the temperature. Does the temp on your box not rise quite high?
    I was running at 86F last time I checked. I will check it more thoroughly when I get home, but to be honest, temps did not seem to be affected.

EDIT: Yep, still running at 86F. It is cool to the touch and has been on for three straight days. I would say the 1200 fix is perfectly safe. It runs everything I have thrown at it flawlessly, and I also watched two 2hr 1080p movies in XBMC Finless Edition (which is a GREAT version BTW, no crashes at all!) and it keeps on chugging away
    Last edited by zektor; 06-24-2014, 04:44.

Comment

Re: NEW - Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Originally posted by zektor View Post
      I was running at 86F last time I checked. I will check it more thoroughly when I get home, but to be honest, temps did not seem to be affected.

EDIT: Yep, still running at 86F. It is cool to the touch and has been on for three straight days. I would say the 1200 fix is perfectly safe. It runs everything I have thrown at it flawlessly, and I also watched two 2hr 1080p movies in XBMC Finless Edition (which is a GREAT version BTW, no crashes at all!) and it keeps on chugging away
      86F is 30deg C. That's far too low to be the CPU, that's probably the battery temp. Download the Mooncakes CPU temp app to get the CPU temp. On stock settings most people are getting around 50C CPU temp (122F).

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
        At s89 with 192 min and max 1992 I get relative good results...
        The max 1992 doesn't matter because it will only be accessible for short times because the cpu "management" at rising temperatures reduce the possible max freq...
        But with min > 192 you will reach immediately temperatures that will reduce the max freq, so it is really useless!
        But you can fix that behaviour easily with a heatsink+fan, righ? Then the max 1992 will work without problems.

Comment

Yes, I've used the 1200 fix also but the temperature on my box rises at idle to around 65-70deg C using this fix (I think the throttle limit is 65deg c can anyone confirm?) This temperature causes the CPU speed to throttle and reduces the max speed to reduce the temperature. Does the temp on your box not rise quite high?
          maybe check to see if your cores are staying maxed out. i am on the 002beta2 by hardware guru and the 'tweaked' zip by bob. BUT, i flashed bobs cpufix/id patcher and it works. my clock runs at 1296 min and 1992 max and when idle, im around 48c to 50c. when im pushing the box, i.e. 1080p video/xbmc/spotify/chrome it runs around 52c to 65c max but rarely gets that high. but its so much snappier since the min is 1296 and im not seeing any extra heat that hinders the device.

☆sent from a finless bob rom powered MINIX X8h android tvbox w/tapatalk☆

Comment

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post
            maybe check to see if your cores are staying maxed out. i am on the 002beta2 by hardware guru and the 'tweaked' zip by bob. BUT, i flashed bobs cpufix/id patcher and it works. my clock runs at 1296 min and 1992 max and when idle, im around 48c to 50c. when im pushing the box, i.e. 1080p video/xbmc/spotify/chrome it runs around 52c to 65c max but rarely gets that high. but its so much snappier since the min is 1296 and im not seeing any extra heat that hinders the device.

I'll have a check. I was watching the temps earlier and and I was up at 55 idle using the new stock beta 002 and as I said when I flashed the 1200 min it sent me up to 65-70 idle. Bobs Rom tweaks don't do anything to the CPU temps do they? I know the CPU fixes alter the governor etc.

I was able to keep the CPU temps down on the S89 using a new heat sink and new paste on firmware 1 and using the 1200min,that was super fast so it would be nice to be able to do it on the X8.

Comment

I just updated to this. I can no longer connect to x8h using the remoteIME app. Any one having this issue

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Comment

wifi not working

I just upgraded my minix x8h to this rom, and clearly followed all the instructions.
                I connected to my wifi, and it worked for about 5 minuttes, then it dropped out, and now there's no connection at all. the wifi is working fine on my phone.

I restarted the box, and restarted the router as well, there's still not any connection.
                Any fix to this?
                Also how to restore to the orginal minix rom? I have to do that if I can't get wifi to work

I also tried to forget the network, and connect again, and then it works for about 1 minute, and then drops the connection again

Comment

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post

Well, I've flashed HWG ROM with Bobs tweaker. With the 1200 CPU fix I'm still up at 65degC idle. With the 800min I can get it to idle at 55deg C now whereas before I was idling at 55degC on stock. I wonder if the hardware has some differences that causes extra heat on some boxes although now I seem to have HDMI problems with lines going across the screen sometimes. I may have to send it back.

Comment

I've had to flash back to the stock kernel. Temps were sitting at 60deg C and my CPU had been throttled to a MAX of 1.2Ghz. I can't understand how you guys are getting such cool temperatures with the 1200MIN CPU fix. Its strange.

Comment

I would say better not to exaggerate since these devices are normally fast enough; all these benchmarking seems to be more a sports event to me in the meantime. I am looking forward to added features that most of us have expected or are waiting for. But please feel free on your own risk.

Comment

fantastic rom

Thanks bob for this fantastic rom.Everything works perfect.And i wonder if this is the first rom for the x8 what is going to happen in the future!!!!

Comment

I have not had a chance to test, but have anyone tried an NTFS formatted hard drive for write support? I know read support is in Android by default, but does this rom contain support for writing to NTFS drives? If not, can it be added? I have a 4TB drive that is formatted NTFS obviously and I require write support for some things. I have been preparing the drive for a few weeks and have yet to bring it to the X8-H, which is why I am asking about compatibility.

Comment

Well, I've flashed HWG ROM with Bobs tweaker. With the 1200 CPU fix I'm still up at 65degC idle. With the 800min I can get it to idle at 55deg C now whereas before I was idling at 55degC on stock. I wonder if the hardware has some differences that causes extra heat on some boxes although now I seem to have HDMI problems with lines going across the screen sometimes. I may have to send it back.

Maybe it's the HWG rom? I had no luck with Beta 002 at all. While initially it appeared to run well, strange things would happen like reboots while playing movies in XBMC. I went back to Finless 1.0 and installed the 1296 patch from the device ID patcher zip (not the patch that is included with the rom mind you) and the xbox patch as well as XBMC Finless version. Everything has run perfectly, and the Minix is cool to the touch even when on and watching movies for hours. No reboots either.

I will grab Mooncakes CPU Temp when I get home tonight and check temps, as you are right, I am probably looking at some other sensor. I will let you know exactly what I am getting. I would be surprised if the CPU idle is over 50C.

Comment

I have not had a chance to test, but have anyone tried an NTFS formatted hard drive for write support? I know read support is in Android by default, but does this rom contain support for writing to NTFS drives? If not, can it be added? I have a 4TB drive that is formatted NTFS obviously and I require write support for some things. I have been preparing the drive for a few weeks and have yet to bring it to the X8-H, which is why I am asking about compatibility.
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

...I will grab Mooncakes CPU Temp when I get home tonight and check temps, as you are right, I am probably looking at some other sensor. I will let you know exactly what I am getting. I would be surprised if the CPU idle is over 50C.
                                Cpu Temperature
                                RK3288 Devices
                                - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                                - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                                UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                                Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                                Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                                Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Working...
                                X