No announcement yet.

Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been through this before on S89.
    CPUz does not read correctly. Use Antutu CPU master. Mooncake also does work correctly.
    Anything else doesn't seems to read the CPU properly.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I maybe didn't say it properly in my post but 1.9 is unlocked. When you look at tables showing the various frequencys used however it is not used a lot. 1.6 is used most of the time, 1.9 hardly ever. I'm not sure why. Don't take my word for it though, best to let the expert guys on here stress test it etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
          I maybe didn't say it properly in my post but 1.9 is unlocked. When you look at tables showing the various frequencys used however it is not used a lot. 1.6 is used most of the time, 1.9 hardly ever. I'm not sure why. Don't take my word for it though, best to let the expert guys on here stress test it etc.
          It's really quite simple and this is what I mod to set low CPU and interactive instead of hotplug.

the file init.amlogic.board.rc which is in boot.img has this

write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq 1608000
          write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq 96000
          write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor hotplug
          write /sys/class/freq_limit/limit 0

write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_dflt_freq 1608000

If scaling max freq is changed to 1992 then it tends to use that more.
          Also upping dflt freq to 1992. This is the default it uses.

My patchers do not change dflt freq. I was worried about heat build up.

Bob

Comment

Re: NEW - Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            It's really quite simple and this is what I mod to set low CPU and interactive instead of hotplug.

the file init.amlogic.board.rc which is in boot.img has this

write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq 1608000
            write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq 96000
            write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor hotplug
            write /sys/class/freq_limit/limit 0

write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_dflt_freq 1608000

If scaling max freq is changed to 1992 then it tends to use that more.
            Also upping dflt freq to 1992. This is the default it uses.

My patchers do not change dflt freq. I was worried about heat build up.

Bob
            Ahhh OK, so its scaled so it uses the 1.6 as a kind of max but will goto 1.9 if pushed? It seems it only hits 1.9 when I'm running Antutu or doing something really intensive. Most of the time it hits 1.6.

I think raising the min frequency to 800 using the CPU fix is too much as the temp goes up to 65 at idle. Perhaps raising the scaling freq to 1.9 will cause thermal problems too as you said.

Comment

seeing the same results as batfink. it throtles to 1200 when temps are near 70c . but, at least when the minix throttles, it doesnt drop as low as my s89. so everything is still usable within the interface, save for a couple 1 min lockups ive had while streaming spotify and browsing chrome with a few tabs open. temps hover from 60 to 75 while using.
              i saw temps reaching 98c when on my s89 so thats why i own a minix now
              cant believe how long its taken for no_spam to get his.
              ☆sent from a finless bob rom powered MINIX X8h android tvbox w/tapatalk☆
              Last edited by cuezaireekaa; 06-21-2014, 18:42.

Comment

Why are you worried about hulu+ when the x8 comes with the best build of XBMC for android. And SHOWBOX also runs like a dream

Originally posted by pawnslinger View Post
                Yes, a VPN would give that ability. And no, I don't expect any company to test 1000s of apps. That would be extremely hard to do. But I do expect them to test the apps that show up in their advertizing material, or that they claim work on their website.

For example, Minix on their own official website claims that a modded version of Hulu+ will run on their equipment (they do not specify which equipment). They provide a download link. I obtained the package and installed it. It works all the way up to actually watching a video. You get the video ad from Hulu+ and that plays okay, but the actual content does not play. Any programmer that actually had used the Hulu website for more than cursory examination would have known that the app wouldn't play the content, just the ad and the html front end of the website. For the record, I tested the modded Hulu app on an X7.

If it doesn't work properly, don't tell people that it does. It just becomes obvious that they never tried to actually use it like a customer would. It is all just marketing smoke.
                mm

Comment

Hi Bob,
                  I cannot install your Finless 1.0 ROM (having a Neo X8-H). "Wrong footer" comes up?!

Comment

Originally posted by Skylinebasser View Post
                    Hi Bob,
                    I cannot install your Finless 1.0 ROM (having a Neo X8-H). "Wrong footer" comes up?!
                    READ THE README IN THE ZIP

First post where you got the download what do I say?

DO NOT just copy this download ZIP to SDcard and expect it to work!
                    UNZIP it and read the README for instructions!

Bob

Comment

Re: NEW - Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post
                      seeing the same results as batfink. it throtles to 1200 when temps are near 70c . but, at least when the minix throttles, it doesnt drop as low as my s89. so everything is still usable within the interface, save for a couple 1 min lockups ive had while streaming spotify and browsing chrome with a few tabs open. temps hover from 60 to 75 while using.
                      i saw temps reaching 98c when on my s89 so thats why i own a minix now
                      cant believe how long its taken for no_spam to get his.
                      ☆sent from a finless bob rom powered MINIX X8h android tvbox w/tapatalk☆
                      The temps I'm getting with the X8 are very similar to the ones I got with a modded S89 with new heatsink (the first kernel releases).

Comment

Welp, installed Finless 1.0 and the device id patcher (stock) and I must say you really have outdone yourself! It runs buttery smooth. I use the minix more for emulation than movie or music playback (although I do use it alot for this purpose as well) and I am really happy to report that emulators that did not work well with the X7 (particularly Mame) run flawlessly on the X8 with this rom. I did not install the Xbox controller patch yet, as I am receiving the controller tomorrow (wireless "for windows" 360 controller) and I plan on testing it without the patch first and see what happens. I will let everyone know tomorrow how it works out.

Once again, MUCH appreciated for the rom. This device would not be worth it without it!!

Comment

Question

Originally posted by zektor View Post
                          Welp, installed Finless 1.0 and the device id patcher (stock) and I must say you really have outdone yourself! It runs buttery smooth. I use the minix more for emulation than movie or music playback (although I do use it alot for this purpose as well) and I am really happy to report that emulators that did not work well with the X7 (particularly Mame) run flawlessly on the X8 with this rom. I did not install the Xbox controller patch yet, as I am receiving the controller tomorrow (wireless "for windows" 360 controller) and I plan on testing it without the patch first and see what happens. I will let everyone know tomorrow how it works out.

Once again, MUCH appreciated for the rom. This device would not be worth it without it!!
                          Did you test your emulator without the rom and it not work?

Comment

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
                            Ahhh OK, so its scaled so it uses the 1.6 as a kind of max but will goto 1.9 if pushed? It seems it only hits 1.9 when I'm running Antutu or doing something really intensive. Most of the time it hits 1.6.

I think raising the min frequency to 800 using the CPU fix is too much as the temp goes up to 65 at idle. Perhaps raising the scaling freq to 1.9 will cause thermal problems too as you said.
                            At s89 with 192 min and max 1992 I get relative good results...
                            The max 1992 doesn't matter because it will only be accessible for short times because the cpu "management" at rising temperatures reduce the possible max freq...
                            But with min > 192 you will reach immediately temperatures that will reduce the max freq, so it is really useless!
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post
                              ... cant believe how long its taken for no_spam to get his.
                              maybe Monday (touched German ground at Friday) ...
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by Garrettmfnmoody View Post
                                Did you test your emulator without the rom and it not work?
                                No, what I am saying is that the RK3188 in the X7 was a dog with mame. It is more likely that iMame4all is just not optimized for that processor. But, with the S802 it runs great.

I did find an issue however. I have a 2TB hard drive connected, and I found it odd that Poweramp would not find any of my MP3 files. I verified they were ok and can navigate to them with a file browser, but Poweramp will not play them from the default mounted location. I installed stickmount and mounted it with that, and poweramp now picks up the folders and it works fine. Something is really screwy with the drive mounting here. It appears some programs really do not like where the drive is mounted by default.

Comment

Working...
                                X