Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drtek View Post
    Yes. Exactly. I am trying to run it on my X8-h with Finless 1.0 on it but it refuses to start.
    Did if you read the instruction ? You have to install device ID patch first.

''OK here is a patched Minix XBMC that will ONLY work on my Finless 1.0 ROM and ONLY if you applied my Device ID patch.''
    Last edited by f_p; 06-20-2014, 14:33.

Comment

Thank you for the rom.. this is a very good rom. The errors that i have with rhe stock are solve with this... for example internet speed are more faster that the stock.. i hope for the new version of finles..

Thank you again for this rom.. and excuseme for my bad english.. im from spain

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 mediante Tapatalk

Comment

Great stuff! Thank you Bob for adding Xbox and PS3 controller support. My X8-H just arrived today and in light of the patch I ordered a wireless Xbox 360 controller and receiver. Just awesome. Thanks for all of the hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by zektor View Post
          Great stuff! Thank you Bob for adding Xbox and PS3 controller support. My X8-H just arrived today and in light of the patch I ordered a wireless Xbox 360 controller and receiver. Just awesome. Thanks for all of the hard work!
          Be aware, we have not confirmed the xbox patch works on the Minix ROMs yet. Someone posted the module is not installing. However that might mean it is there already. Waiting for someone with a X8 to test a real xbox controller wired and wireless. No one has reported in that thread it is working or not.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            Be aware, we have not confirmed the xbox patch works on the Minix ROMs yet. Someone posted the module is not installing. However that might mean it is there already. Waiting for someone with a X8 to test a real xbox controller wired and wireless. No one has reported in that thread it is working or not.

Bob

Understood. If nobody tests it before Sunday. I will (as mine arrives on Sunday). Do you mean that the xbox controller support might already be in the Minix X8 rom, and this is why it is reported s not installing? I plan on flashing the X8-H immediately with your rom. I can try the controller before attempting the patch and let you know. If it does not work, I will then install the patch (or try to)

Comment

Re: NEW - Finless 1.0 ROM for the Minix X8

Originally posted by zektor View Post
              Understood. If nobody tests it before Sunday. I will (as mine arrives on Sunday). Do you mean that the xbox controller support might already be in the Minix X8 rom, and this is why it is reported s not installing? I plan on flashing the X8-H immediately with your rom. I can try the controller before attempting the patch and let you know. If it does not work, I will then install the patch (or try to)
              I haven't got it to work with my ps3 or Xbox 360 controller. wired. I didn't try before I flashed the patch though. doh! gonna try another clean flash this weekend and try again.

Edit: I will post my results in the other thread when I'm done

Sent from my SM-N9005

Comment

AND I will say Minix put a lot more work into this ROM that any of the others so far! There are all kinds of changes to audio and video decoding both at a low level and at the framework level! They for sure invested some programming $$$ into the product much more so than other ROMs so far.

Bob
                I am glad to hear this... but as a retired programmer, I have often thought that Minix suffers from having programmers located in a region where many of the USA apps don't work... because of regional licensing restrictions. I mean how can we expect software that runs Hulu smoothly, if the programmers can't actually see it work?

But I am just guessing, I don't know where the Minix programmers are located. For all I know they are in Palo Alto, or Silicon Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by pawnslinger View Post
                  I am glad to hear this... but as a retired programmer, I have often thought that Minix suffers from having programmers located in a region where many of the USA apps don't work... because of regional licensing restrictions. I mean how can we expect software that runs Hulu smoothly, if the programmers can't actually see it work?

But I am just guessing, I don't know where the Minix programmers are located. For all I know they are in Palo Alto, or Silicon Valley.
                  OK well first off, Google KK has removed most of any kind of check for where you are. e.g. like IP range, time zone, etc. So it's not really a Android OS issue. But I say this lightly because there is some stuff still in there!

APP makers can and are allowed to restrict use of an APP based using many "Android" properties. e.g. time zone, language setting, Google account registration of where you are, Location Service, etc etc etc...

I am 99% sure Minix Dev's are in China. But that does not matter. Any company worth it's salt has a VPN to servers in country they can use to test all the restrictions.

Now do they test Hulu? Do they test the 1000's of APPs out there?
                  HELL NO... I don't even do that.

Please understand. To test all the APPs, Video Players, etc out there would take FAR MORE HOURS to do than develop code! It is simply a impossible ask!
                  So what they and I do it listen to feedback, hear about a problem APP, and go try to fix it AND HOPE you don't break some other of the 1000 APPs!

Really, people need to understand the complexity of all this..... It's just not that freakin simple!

If you want a OS that has forward and backward compatibility with APPs (which even then is not 100%) then buy something with Windows, MAC OS, or iOS where probably millions were spent in R&D to make it work..... Your just NOT going to get that from Android right now. Google is trying but they got a ways to go.

Bob
                  "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                  "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                  "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                  "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                  "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                  "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                  "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                  "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                  "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

OK well first off, Google KK has removed most of any kind of check for where you are. e.g. like IP range, time zone, etc. So it's not really a Android OS issue. But I say this lightly because there is some stuff still in there!

APP makers can and are allowed to restrict use of an APP based using many "Android" properties. e.g. time zone, language setting, Google account registration of where you are, Location Service, etc etc etc...

I am 99% sure Minix Dev's are in China. But that does not matter. Any company worth it's salt has a VPN to servers in country they can use to test all the restrictions.

Now do they test Hulu? Do they test the 1000's of APPs out there?
                    HELL NO... I don't even do that.

Please understand. To test all the APPs, Video Players, etc out there would take FAR MORE HOURS to do than develop code! It is simply a impossible ask!
                    So what they and I do it listen to feedback, hear about a problem APP, and go try to fix it AND HOPE you don't break some other of the 1000 APPs!

Really, people need to understand the complexity of all this..... It's just not that freakin simple!

If you want a OS that has forward and backward compatibility with APPs (which even then is not 100%) then buy something with Windows, MAC OS, or iOS where probably millions were spent in R&D to make it work..... Your just NOT going to get that from Android right now. Google is trying but they got a ways to go.

Bob
                    Yes, a VPN would give that ability. And no, I don't expect any company to test 1000s of apps. That would be extremely hard to do. But I do expect them to test the apps that show up in their advertizing material, or that they claim work on their website.

For example, Minix on their own official website claims that a modded version of Hulu+ will run on their equipment (they do not specify which equipment). They provide a download link. I obtained the package and installed it. It works all the way up to actually watching a video. You get the video ad from Hulu+ and that plays okay, but the actual content does not play. Any programmer that actually had used the Hulu website for more than cursory examination would have known that the app wouldn't play the content, just the ad and the html front end of the website. For the record, I tested the modded Hulu app on an X7.

If it doesn't work properly, don't tell people that it does. It just becomes obvious that they never tried to actually use it like a customer would. It is all just marketing smoke.

Comment

CPU Performance

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that the cpu never seems to get over 1.60ghz?

Never gets to 1.99 ghz - even with your patches, and the fourth core doesn't seem to kick in.

Using CPUz to test. I'm probably missing something obvious ......................

Also - wifi seems to give 65mb no matter what I do. I have a ASUS 68u router which gives up to 800mb on all my other devices. Even 2.4g band only gives 65mb?

Comment

Got everything up and running.

Thanks Finless, you're the heart and the soul of this scene!

Comment

Originally posted by pablo11 View Post
                          Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that the cpu never seems to get over 1.60ghz?

Never gets to 1.99 ghz - even with your patches, and the fourth core doesn't seem to kick in.

Using CPUz to test. I'm probably missing something obvious ......................

Also - wifi seems to give 65mb no matter what I do. I have a ASUS 68u router which gives up to 800mb on all my other devices. Even 2.4g band only gives 65mb?
                          Got my MINIX x8 yesterday and I've been looking at the CPU max values etc.

It seems that 1.9Ghz is unlocked, if you look at Trickstermod there is a frequency table and it shows after you run Antutu that 1.9 has been used. However, 1.9 doesnt seem to be used during normal operation, using the mooncakes CPU graph the max CPU value never rises above 1.6Ghz . Also, if you try and change the max CPU value using Trickster or SetCPU to 1.9 it immediately jumps back to 1.6. This seems to mimic the behaviour we saw early on on the S89. It seems the kernel needs reworked and with Minix releasing the source we hopefully will see an optimized one.

Regarding temps, my X8 sits at roughly 50degC idle and rises to 65-70max. Using the min 800mhz CPU fix it sits at 65-70 deg C idle and starts to throttle with use. I don't think there is room temperature wise to raise the min freq without a lot of throttling. I also wonder if the box can handle the full 1.9Ghz with all 4cores on without thermal throttling.

Comment

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
                            ... Using the min 800mhz CPU fix it sits at 65-70 deg C idle and starts to throttle with use. ...
                            Also same bs at the minix? Really? I get mine the next days and will have a look at it...
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

It seems to be I'm sad to say. Hopefully kernel will help

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                                Also same bs at the minix? Really? I get mine the next days and will have a look at it...
                                With the CPU fix of 800mhz minimum mine was sitting at 65-70 idle. I gave up after 5min waiting for it to go down and flashed the stock kernel again.

Comment

Working...
                                X