Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix in HD is being killed in some of the Chinese boxes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trebor View Post
    Buy a MI Box, Amazon Fire TV, or other certified device if you need Netflix and Other paid streaming services to work as intended.
    Having a certified Unit as well as Non is the best of both worlds.
    You don't even need a Netflix or Google Certified device
    If you use LibreELEC on an Intel(HD, FHD), Amlogic S905x(HD) or Rockchip RK3399(HD, FHD) device, RK3328(540p,HD work in progress) then you can just install the Netflix Kodi addon or Amazon Prime Video and stream too if you don't mind booting two OS's.

Devices that are Android Netflix Certified don't support booting LibreELEC and the only Android device supporting actual Netflix 4K is the Nvidia Shield, other Android devices downscale/upscale 4K Netflix to 1080p as they don't run a 4K frame-buffer but you do get the HEVC codec instead of H264 and the picture is a little sharper.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

the only Android device supporting actual Netflix 4K is the Nvidia Shield, other Android devices downscale/upscale 4K Netflix to 1080p as they don't run a 4K frame-buffer but you do get the HEVC codec instead of H264 and the picture is a little sharper.
      What about the Vodafone TV (https://sites.google.com/view/droid-...tv-australia)?
      I thought that had 4K Netflix...

Comment

Originally posted by NewbBoxie View Post

What about the Vodafone TV (https://sites.google.com/view/droid-...tv-australia)?
        I thought that had 4K Netflix...
        Also an Amlogic S905D processor.
        You will get a 4K stream and quality but it's run on a 1080p frame-buffer and then further downscaled/upscaled again losing quality in the process.

Here is a test file to find out whether your videos are shown in true 4K or are downscaled to 1080p.

Some other info
        Now many products are sold on the market advertising 4K video output, but how to test and check if it just a lie with only part of the system support 4K

Comment

Did I get you right? Guest

I own a Box on S905D, Marshmellow. So true 4k netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by soldiaz View Post
            Did I get you right? Guest

I own a Box on S905D, Marshmellow. So true 4k netflix?
            S905D don't support 4K Netflix, let alone HD unless it was manufactured by SDMC and provided by a cable tv operator in your country.
            Google also only certifies Android Oreo(before 1 Nov 2018) and Pie, so if your device runs Marshmallow, you can forget about Netflix.

Check my previous post to see if the test videos play in true 4K on your device.

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
              Buy a MI Box, Amazon Fire TV, or other certified device if you need Netflix and Other paid streaming services to work as intended.
              Having a certified Unit as well as Non is the best of both worlds.
              Or buy a smart tv that already has those apps.
              My Samsung curved tv has incredible UHD Netflix and Prime .
              They're giving away 4k sets with Fire and Android built-in too.

Comment

If using the Netflix addon for KODI 18 does not work?

Comment

Originally posted by pégaso View Post
                  If using the Netflix addon for KODI 18 does not work?

No, it won't work on Android.
                  Only if your Android device has WideWine L1.
                  It works correctly on Windows, Linux and LibreELEC.

Comment

No, it won't work on Android.
                    Only if your Android device has WideWine L1.
                    It works correctly on Windows, Linux and LibreELEC.
                    My 1st and 2nd tv box (mecool m8s pro and pro L) is L1 but they dont play at all in kodi. My 3rd box (yoga kb3) is L3 and plays netflix in sd .

Comment

Originally posted by zenix View Post

My 1st and 2nd tv box (mecool m8s pro and pro L) is L1 but they dont play at all in kodi. My 3rd box (yoga kb3) is L3 and plays netflix in sd .
                      If you Widevine L1 has been blacklisted by Google which is the case with Mecool devices, then it will also not work.

Comment

If you Widevine L1 has been blacklisted by Google which is the case with Mecool devices, then it will also not work.
                        I know. Kodi doesnt work .Netflix app working fine but sd

Comment

I think this list for Android emulator for PC is most dvance solution to using Google Play Store apps on PC

Comment

Originally posted by zenix View Post

It works in SD (960x540) in Kodi 18 on my Mecool KIII pro, but I have to disable liboemcrypto.do (I use the magisk module to do this). But the Netflix app works in SD with L1 without having to disable liboemcrypto.so so I don't bother with the Kodi addon, which is temperamental and sometimes takes a couple of attempts to load. I also had to enable hardware encryption in kodi player settings to get the addon working.

Comment

You keep saying this but it's not true (see my post above) nor am I convinced it has anything to do with Google. I can get other restricted streaming apps working in HD without passing Google certification, which is not that hard to do anyway. More likely Netflix servers are checking device IDs and disabling HD streams for anything that's not on their list of approved devices.

Mecool L1 boxes only ever worked in SD UNLESS you also used a modded Netflix app that forced HD. Those apps are now blocked by Netflix, which will only work with apps that also stream SD.

The question is how does Netflix detection work? Is it something as simple as checking the ESN? If that's the case, why didn't they do it before, and surely some sort of device spoofing should get around it. Or is Netflix simply detecting attempts to force HD and blocking it? I'm sure there's a solution, and better advice than junking your android box and getting another device. Most of us already have other devices that stream Netflix in HD/4K.

Comment

Originally posted by sepa View Post

You keep saying this but it's not true (see my post above) nor am I convinced it has anything to do with Google. I can get other restricted streaming apps working in HD without passing Google certification, which is not that hard to do anyway. More likely Netflix servers are checking device IDs and disabling HD streams for anything that's not on their list of approved devices.

Mecool L1 boxes only ever worked in SD UNLESS you also used a modded Netflix app that forced HD. Those apps are now blocked by Netflix, which will only work with apps that also stream SD.

The question is how does Netflix detection work? Is it something as simple as checking the ESN? If that's the case, why didn't they do it before, and surely some sort of device spoofing should get around it. Or is Netflix simply detecting attempts to force HD and blocking it? I'm sure there's a solution, and better advice than junking your android box and getting another device. Most of us already have other devices that stream Netflix in HD/4K.
                                Wrong! In Brazil there is a stream called Telecine Play that uses Google Widevine and that also stopped working, and the error presented now in Netflix is different from the previous one when the blocking was of Netflix itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X