Tronsmart Vega s89 Standard/Elite FAQ - READ THIS FIRST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tronsmart Vega s89 Standard/Elite FAQ - READ THIS FIRST

Okay, so it seems like I am answering the same questions and giving the same instructions over and over again in this section so I figured I'm make a FAQ with all of the information we know so far about the Tronsmart Vega s89 devices. Please post any other topics you believe should be added to the FAQ and I'll update as necessary! Thanks everybody!

The Physical Hardware
    • Tronsmart Vega s89 Standard
      • CPU: AMLogic S802 Cortex-A9 (2.0GHz)
      • GPU: Mali-450 (8-Core)
      • RAM: DDR3 2GB
      • ROM: eMMC 16GB
      • Video: HDMI Up to QFHD 2160p (3840x2160), Composite A/V up to 576cvbs.
      • WIFI: AP6330 2.4/5.0GHz 802.11a/b/g/n (Antenna Built-in)
      • BT: Bluetooth 4.0 handled by AP6330
      • ETHERNET: 10/100mbps LAN supplied by {unknown chipset}
      • IR: Yes, customizable to any NEC remote.
      • PSU: 5volt/2amp Required, shipped with 3amp PSU.
      • BUTTONS: 1xPhysical Power Button, 1xReset/Bootloader inside A/V port.
      • CEC: Supported
    • Tronsmart Vega s89 Elite (Differences)
      • ROM: eMMC 8GB
      • WIFI: AP6210 2.4GHz 802.11a/b/g/n
      • BT: Bluetooth 4.0 supplied by {unknown chipset}

Known Issues
    • [*=left]Ethernet
      • [*=left]Working for most. Check your DMESG for "eth0 have no attached PHY" as you may need to exchange your device as this is a hardware issue AFAIK. Follow this guide to get your DMESG.
        [*=left]UPDATE: This has reportedly been fixed in latest 101K4 build released by Eric of Geekbuying.

[*=left]Google Play Store Paid Apps
      • [*=left]UPDATE: This has been resolved by latest 101K4 build released by Eric of Geekbuying.

[*=left]XBMC REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS
      • [*=left]​Okay I'm sorry for the red title, but if you want to use XBMC without having many, many issues then you're going to need to root your device due to some permissions issues. Read the FAQ below for instructions to root your device.
        [*=left]I recommend hiding notifications from SuperSU about XBMC so it doesn't toast you every time you start XBMC.

[*=left]Unable to select default audio output device (Remotes with headphone port)
      • [*=left]​Due to the way that this rom has been set up there is no sound devices manager to allow you to select your default audio output source. Because of this if you have an RF remote that has a speaker or headphone port you may think you're stuck listening to everything through your remote. There is a fix.
        [*=left]According to saor11 you can fix this issue by installing the SoundAbout app from the play store and you can select your correct output there.

General FAQ
    • [*=left]Where do I get one? What are these clones?
      • [*=left]My Opinion? Save yourself potential hassle and just buy it from Geekbuying.
        [*=left]I don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to figure out if my hardware is a knock-off, poorly made clone or already somebody else's returned problem.
        [*=left]I've done the **** Russian Roulette and the Aliexpress Tango before and each time I've just ended up wanting to snap it in half. Incidentally, I have a device graveyard. I'm done taking chances that almost always end up in disappointment. I've ordered more MK808 devices from Geekbuying and their Amazon account than I can count and in the rare occasion i've had an issue they've taken care of it; slowly but in the end it was fair. I'm sure some of the knock-offs work, but I don't trust them.

[*=left]Does this device support 5.1 DD/DTS audio passthrough?
      • [*=left]Yes, and no. This device has a S802 SoC, so the physical hardware does not support 5.1 audio decoding. It would need to have S802-H for that.
        [*=left]However, XBMC does software passthrough audio and it works perfectly for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.
        [*=left]UPDATE: There is now a s89-H model that includes the S802-H SoC and can do hardware decoding.

[*=left]Does this device really do 4K video?
      • [*=left]​Another yes, and no. This device supports output in QFHD, and while this is basically four times the resolution of 1080p it is not true 4K. Manufacturers have jumped at the chance to label their equipment 4K, even though it's technically 2K. This is where the 4K2K comes from. Another term you might see is UltraHD, that is a catch-all for anything higher than 1080p.
        [*=left]Currently QFHD content does not work in XBMC. You'll need to use the included 4KPlayer app.

[*=left]Is there a remote app for my phone?
      • [*=left]Yes! You can download the official remote from AMLogic here.
        [*=left]This device also has Google Anymote support so you can also just download the Google TV Remote app and use that. Not all buttons work with Anymote... yet.
        [*=left]NEW You can follow these instructions to make your Vega IR receiver work for any remote. This is very, very handy as I like to have my air mouse separate from my media center remote.

[*=left]What ROMS are available and how do I get root access?
      • [*=left]Please install Finless 1.2 ROM to root your device. Instructions are included in each download. Please note you can use a USB thumb drive instead of SD Card or use ADB Sideload (Tested, confirmed working by myself.)
        [*=left]DO NOT FLASH M8 ROMS AS YOU MAY LIKELY HARD BRICK YOUR VEGA
    • [*=left]What are the actual resolutions that this device can support?
      • [*=left]HDMI: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p50, 720p60, 1080i50, 1080p50, 1080i60, 1080p60, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p30, 2160pSMPTE (1080p24 is not in stock rom, but is supported in kernel)
        [*=left]VGA CVBS: 480i, 576i

[*=left]What's the best kernel to use?
      • [*=left]HDAt this time the current kernel sources just do not have what we need to build a working kernel. Worse yet we really don't even know how to build an image in the AMLogic image format or even completely understand the boot loader. Please urge AMLogic, Tronsmart and Geekbuying to release useful sources for the kernel soon or this device may never see it's true potential.

[*=left]Should I buy it or should I wait?
      • [*=left]I don't regret getting mine at all, it's exactly what I thought it'd be for the first launch device of the s809 SoC. Does it have some flaws? Sure, but I really don't see that any of them are ones that are deal breakers. Almost everything can be fixed in firmware. I'm still likely to tear mine apart once my warranty period is up (okay, so maybe sooner) and document how to add an external WiFi antenna - but not really because it needs it. The remote that comes with it could use some work but I really dig the customizable IR port on the front, and to Rockchip for their crappy IR kernel module across all devices and all brands.
        [*=left]You probably already knew what you were going to do before you read this anyway but if you put up with the bumpy road we had with the rk3066 and rk3188 then you're going to enjoy it.

XBMC Support FAQ
    • [*=left]Which version of XBMC should I use?
      • [*=left]Currently the recommended version is to just use the latest gotham nightly.
        [*=left]XBMC 12.0 Frodo will not work, it does not support hardware video decoding.

[*=left]How do I configure hardware video decoding?
      • [*=left]Okay, if you've downloaded the latest nightly then your hardware decoding preferences should already be set. XBMC will use the AMLogic decoder to give you perfect 1080p playback.
        [*=left]Remember, skipped frames are intentional, dropped frames are not. If you're seeing skipped frames this is okay and will not cause any issues with your video.

[*=left]How do I get 5.1 Surround Sound audio?
      • [*=left]Navigate to XBMC Settings.
        [*=left]Navigate to System.
        [*=left]Change your Settings Level to Expert.
        [*=left]Navigate to Audio output.
        [*=left]Set Number of Channels to 5.1
        [*=left]Set Keep audio device alive as you like. (This will keep your AVR from turning on and off when there is no sound playing in XBMC.
        [*=left]Make sure Enable passthrough is selected.
        [*=left]Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
        [*=left]Enable DTS capable receiver.
        [*=left]Exit out of settings and enjoy your 5.1 surround sound!

[*=left]Help! My audio is out of sync and I can't change aspect ratio! How do I fix it?
      • [*=left]If you're experiencing this issue please make sure you are rooted and have given XBMC root access. To check this open the SuperSU app and make sure XBMC is listed and has a GREEN # number/pound sign.
        [*=left]If you're rooted and this continues to happen lets try a few different settings to see which one helps.
        • [*=left]​Navigate to XBMC Settings, Video, then Playback.
          [*=left]Enable Sync playback to display.
          [*=left]Set A/V sync method to Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)
          [*=left]You can also try A/V sync method Video clock (Resample audio) if the first setting isn't working.

[*=left]I can't change the aspect ratio of my videos!
      • [*=left]That would be because you didn't root your device! Go back to the General FAQ and root your device before using XBMC.

[*=left]All of my add-ons now say Incompatible! What gives?
      • [*=left]Ahh, you must have been using XBMC 12.x Frodo. The XBMC developers changed the requirements for add-ons and have bumped the XBMC python include from 2.0 to 2.1.
        [*=left]You will find some add-ons are marked Incompatible, and they very well may be. However, if you're desperate enough you can modify the python include in each add-on's XML file to 2.1. There is no guarantee that this will work as these add-ons are marked incompatible for a reason.
        [*=left]You can also install XBMC 12.x Frodo, set up all of your add-ons the way you want them, and then upgrade to XBMC Gotham, this'll leave the add-ons installed and they MAY work.
    Last edited by noderat; 05-03-2014, 11:05.

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Great job noderat

Comment

Very good information.

Comment

Thanks for this really informative
        Still waiting on the postman to bring mine 😤
        MXQ Amlogic S805
        VOYO Mini PC Windows 8.1 Intel Z3735F
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Telos Allwinner A80
        -Finless ROM 1.1 - BETA2
        Tronsmart Vega S89 Amlogic S802
        -Finless 2.1 ROM

Comment

Originally posted by roolmapool View Post
          Great job noderat
          +1
          THX
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I've got one of the lower spec ones, rather confusingly called Elite!
            Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
            Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
            Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
            Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
            CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
            Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
            RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

Nice job, Noderat!

Comment

Re: Tronsmart Vega s89 Standard/Elite FAQ - READ THIS FIRST

Originally posted by d33 View Post
                Glad to hear you received yours! I'm working on seeing if there is any way I can get Linux to boot on this device right now.. Not having a ton of luck.

Sent from my Nexus7, apologies for any typos.

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Comment

Are you going to be doing some kernel magic on it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
                    Are you going to be doing some kernel magic on it?
                    +1
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I've got the released kernel sources but I fear AMLogic have done the minimum possible for GPL compliance.

In general it seems better written than RK but on first look it appears it is skeletal and their first 'cut'. I suspect kernels I build from this source will be poorer that 'stock' releases.

When the clever ROM guys (Finless, Lewy, Daemonium etc) work out how to build images from 'scratch' and incorporate custom kernels I'll see what I can do.
                      Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
                      Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
                      Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
                      Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
                      CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
                      Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
                      RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

I've got the released kernel sources but I fear AMLogic have done the minimum possible for GPL compliance.

In general it appears better written than RK but on first look it appears it is skeletal and their first 'cut'. I suspect kernels I build from this source will be poorer that 'stock' releases.

When the clever guy work out how to build images from 'scratch' and incorporate custom kernels I'll see what I can do.
                        Its a tablet kernel isn't it? The fact it only reaches 1.6ghz is bad news for a start. Tronsmart will have to release a 2ghz kernel at least.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

In general it seems better written than RK but on first look it appears it is skeletal and their first 'cut'. I suspect kernels I build from this source will be poorer that 'stock' releases.

When the clever ROM guys (Finless, Lewy, Daemonium etc) work out how to build images from 'scratch' and incorporate custom kernels I'll see what I can do.
                          Disappointing. But i'm sure we'll figure something out especially once minix releases the X8

Comment

agreed.. the naming structure is confusing.. I was searching everywhere for specs for comparison as the 'Elite' has the lower specs (less ROM and only 2.4GHz wifi). It did not make sense.

As is I've ordered a Beelink 16GB version of this device, I figured I would have it to experiement with for at least a month (or two) before the 'full' 4K playback devices were available (I consider these Amlogin S802 devices as interim 4K playback devices - I was mainly after smooth 1080p playback without needing chipset specific builds of playback software, also I don't have or am planning on buying a 4K TV any time soon (ie: 5 years or more)).

Comment

What Okay I have the s89 Not the elite one with 1.2 Finless Rom and the ethernet doesn't connect, can anyone who has this box confirm that? Or try it to connect and see if it get connected on his Rom?
                              "Known IssuesEthernetWorking for most. Check your DMESG for "eth0 have no attached PHY" as you may need to exchange your device as this is a hardware issue AFAIK"
                              What this means? ??I don't see any PHY at the options I see select eth0 but the ethernet doesn't connect?

Comment

Working...
                              X