X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geppetto61 View Post
    Hi ! could you please post a link to the actual product ? Thanks a lot
    very nice ! which SW do you use to monitor the T of the cores ?
    Thanks a lot.

Thermal pad
    . When I bought it, the price was 7$.

I am using HWiNFO and AIDA64 to monitor sensors.

Comment

one of the best posts i ever seen about CPU thermal test

Update: March 12th, 2024 Preface The topic of processor temperatures can be very confusing. Conflicting opinions based on misconceptions concerning terminology, specifications and testing leaves users uncertain of how to properly check cooling performance. This Guide provides an understanding...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyrie View Post

Thermal pad
        . When I bought it, the price was 7$.
        I am using HWiNFO and AIDA64 to monitor sensors.
        Hi and thanks a lot indeed for the very kind and helpful advice
        Have a nice day !
        With the kindest regards, geppo

Comment

I ordered a small copper sheet to put between the CPU and the metal plate, with some thermal paste.
          I ordered 0.8mm and 1mm to see which one fits better.

I think it will be better than a "gummy" thermal pad

Comment

Originally posted by CRi View Post
            I ordered a small copper sheet to put between the CPU and the metal plate, with some thermal paste.
            I ordered 0.8mm and 1mm to see which one fits better.
            I think it will be better than a "gummy" thermal pad
            Hi it sounds very smart indeed. Please do not forget to upload pics !
            Thanks a lot !
            With the kindest regards, geppo

Comment

Originally posted by Kyrie View Post
              OK, I have got cheap thermal pad (5 mm) and waiting for heatsink.

Thermal pad at bottom side is fantastic!

Without thermal pad normal temperature was about 60 °C. LinX (Linpack, best CPU burn software) warmed up SoC up to 86 °C (trottling) in 1 min 30 sec.

With thermal pad normal temperature is about 50 °C. LinX needs 15 min 25 sec to burn (up to trottling) SoC!

AIDA and software 1080p decoding can not warm up CPU anymore.
              many thanks for the information, worried because I ordered the same model but thought that it would not do any work

Comment

Today I modded my pipo. I changed the thermal pads under the metal plate with phobya 1mm 7W/mK. I also attached 9 15x15x15mm heatsinks on the metal plate. I glued them with double sided thermal tape. The motherboard bends a little but I believe it is a good thing as it compresses everything together and lets the heatsinks have contact with the outer shell and thus transfer heat.

I did a stress test and had good results. At 100% cpu temps were 64-69 on all cores. Before the modding I would get 80+C.

I have ordered the 5mm thermal pad from germany for the bottom of the pipo. With that I believe I will get below 60C on 100% cpu load.

Comment

Originally posted by kgian76 View Post
                  Today I modded my pipo. I changed the thermal pads under the metal plate with phobya 1mm 7W/mK. I also attached 9 15x15x15mm heatsinks on the metal plate. I glued them with double sided thermal tape. The motherboard bends a little but I believe it is a good thing as it compresses everything together and lets the heatsinks have contact with the outer shell and thus transfer heat.

I did a stress test and had good results. At 100% cpu temps were 64-69 on all cores. Before the modding I would get 80+C.

I have ordered the 5mm thermal pad from germany for the bottom of the pipo. With that I believe I will get below 60C on 100% cpu load.
                  the PCB will bend from 15mm hight as you said ,do you think if i used a 14 mm copper heatsink block with height of 14mm i will get it to touch the box without bending the PCB i will use a very thin double face thermal tape ?!!

Comment

Originally posted by scropion86 View Post
                    the PCB will bend from 15mm hight as you said ,do you think if i used a 14 mm copper heatsink block with height of 14mm i will get it to touch the box without bending the PCB i will use a very thin double face thermal tape ?!!
                    I don't know and I don't think it matters, it is a slight bend. If you don't tighten the screws I don't think it will bend at all.

Comment

Could anyone tell me the recomended sizes of:

- 3 Thermal pad under the alu plate:
                      - Thickness: 1 mm
                      - Size: ?? mm x ?? mm

- Thermal pad on bottom:
                      - Thickness: 5 mm

Comment

Originally posted by albmart View Post
                        Could anyone tell me the recomended sizes of:

- 3 Thermal pad under the alu plate:
                        - Thickness: 1 mm

- Thermal pad on bottom:
                        - Thickness: 5 mm
                        Everybody cuts these by eye. I just got a phobya strip 120x20x1mm for under the alu plate and a 100x100x5mm for the bottom. Justy buy these sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by kgian76 View Post
                          Everybody cuts these by eye. I just got a phobya strip 120x20x1mm for under the alu plate and a 100x100x5mm for the bottom. Justy buy these sizes.
                          1mm is actually too thick for under the alu plate. The pads that come included with the Pipo x7 (stock blue ones) are 0.5mm

I have used the phobya strip 120x20x1mm and the plate does not quite clip back into the retention clips. This could be a non issue depending on the height of your heat sinks because if you use 15mm ones, like i did, they will contact the top of the case.

I am getting great temps now though down from a max of 80c to a max of 57c under normal use (streaming 1080p) with ambient temps in the mid 20's.

Comment

Thanks, I wanted to know the sizes to save some money buying the correct size (instead one bigger that I need).

I still have a doubt.... if the heat sinks are in contact with the top case, is better that not to be in contact with the top case????

thanks

Comment

I believe it should be better to be in contact with the top case. So everything is compressed together and some heat is transferred through contact.

Comment

Originally posted by albmart View Post
                                Thanks, I wanted to know the sizes to save some money buying the correct size (instead one bigger that I need).

I still have a doubt.... if the heat sinks are in contact with the top case, is better that not to be in contact with the top case????

thanks
                                I changed my mod by replacing 30x30x15 mm heatsinks with 25x25x12 and I am using 5mm thermal pad under pcb and the temp rose by 4 Celsius to 41 at idle vs 37 at idle with 30x30x15 heatsinks. Being that I lowered the height of the heatsinks used, i used thermal adhesive instead of thermal grease like in my first mod which could result in the increase in temp that I am seeing. I think I can gain back the lower temp by adding phobya pads over cpu and memory. I am not sure as to how much improvement I will gain by doing this because after looking under alum plate I realized there are only 2 small pads to replace as thermal grease was already applied to the memory chips in the factory, and I do not think the pads will be as efficient as the grease. By using the adhesive thermal compound instead of grease my heatsinks are permanently attached. I do not think I can undo this. I had to move a heatsink while it was setting and this was very difficult after 15 minutes and now it has been 24 hours later. I would definitely recommend the 15 mm high heatsinks and attaching by using thermal grease.
                                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X