Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megatron ROM for ENY EM8 and K200 T8 boxes

Hello friends:

I've put together something special for ENY EM8 (square) and K200 T8 (rectangle) boxes. It's called the Megatron ROM because... well... it's mega with over 40 Android apps included. The name Megatron ROM was also chosen because I hoped this ROM would transform the S802 TV box landscape and bring the joy back to Android OS.

Watch the Megatron boot video on YouTube here
    (Thanks @coolwave_kodi)

Read installation instructions in post #2 very carefully! To download please visit http://mega-tron.tv and click the Download button for either M8 or T8.

If necessary, please use the following alternative links to download:

UNZIPME.M8-Megatron.zip

UNZIPME.T8-Megatron.zip

UNZIPME.Megaton.EMU-Installer.zip

This ROM is based on Stane1983's ENY EM8 build Version 2014-09-03 which includes:
    (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...e-by-Stane1983)

- Kernel 3.10.53
    - Rooted (SuperSU included)
    - Based on Amlogic SDK from 2014-08-23
    - XBMC 13.2 included
    - Wifi/Bluetooth/Ethernet working
    - Real sleep

I have added the following changes to the original build:

- Edited getprop to allow both eny_em8 and k200 devices
    - Debloated useless stock apps apps (e.g., live wallpaper)
    - Deodexed app, priv-app and framework folders
    - Added dozens of apps to pick and choose from
    - Offer choice between XBMC 13.2 or Kodi 14.1
    - Included several popular launchers
    - Extract tar.gz used to install sources for XBMC and Kodi
    - Custom Megatron boot image and boot video (Courtesy of @coolwave_kodi)
    - Set persistent timezone GMT via build.prop
    - Silenced Android Effect_Tick system sounds
    - Mapped conf file for both M8 and T8 remotes
    - Custom Megatron MBox settings and launcher
    - New default_wallpaper via framework-res
    - Enabled init.d support via boot.img
    - Added Xbox and PS3 KO modules (not tested)

I also created an Emulator update that can be flashed over-top of either M8 or T8 ROM. This update will install roughly ten game console emulator and game pad controller apps. This flash is also available at http://mega-tron.tv (see alterative link above).

When I look at other ROMs posted by the likes of Finless Bob and others, I recognize there are many more things that could've and perhaps should've been done to make this ROM better. I'll consider making further revisions to the ROM according to the feedback received.

There are two bugs that I am currently aware of: 1) Clock doesn't work on T8 boxes and 2) On-screen keyboard defaults to Chinese language. Fixing the clock issue could be fixed redoing Megatron with a T8 build as the base - but I'd much rather someone tell me how to modify the Stane ENY EM8 build to get the clock working on T8. As of now, I don't know how to fix the on-screen keyboard issue.

I hope this ROM is well received. Please send me a PM if you have concerns about it.

This project would not have been possible without the generous contribution of several important individuals. Thanks to Stane, Tony, Corey, Mike, James, Mark, Jason and Bob! Web design by http://sysclonedesign.com

Follow @megatrontv on Twitter at https://twitter.com/megatrontv
    Last edited by superfreak79; 02-13-2015, 04:48. Reason: Additional credits & boot video link

Installation instructions

1) Use at your own risk. This ROM has been tested many times on square ENY EM8 and rectangle K200 T8 boxes - however, that doesn't mean there won't be issues for some users with identical devices. Please follow the instructions provided and it should be okay.

2) Download the proper UNZIPME ROM for either ENY EM8 (square) or K200 T8 (rectangle) box from http://mega-tron.tv

If necessary, please use the following alternative links to download:

UNZIPME.M8-Megatron.zip

UNZIPME.T8-Megatron.zip

UNZIPME.Megaton.EMU-Installer.zip

3) Format (fat32) your sdcard and extract UNZIP ROM contents onto sdcard

4) There should be only three files on the sdcard: 1) factory_update_param.aml; 2) recovery.img; and 3) Megatron-M8.zip or Megatron T8.zip

5) Insert sdcard into the TV box and push reset button for approximately 10 seconds

6) The flash should take about 2-3 minutes with progress bar visible on screen

7) When the flash is complete, your box will reboot and the sdcard can be removed

8) Complete installation of Megatron can take upto 15 minutes. This is just enough time have a quick shag with your wife! Seriously, this ROM needs a lot of time to install and you'll jeopardize proper functioning if you rush it. Please give it some time

9) If you don't like some of the apps installed, no problem... just uninstall it! Note: Factory reset from recovery will restore all apps

10) Enjoy!

Note: One tester encountered black screen when flashing Megatron from Amlogic OpenELEC. The solution for him was to 1) remove sdcard and manually factory wipe box via recovery; and 2) Insert sdcard and auto-install worked after that. It may be necessary for some individuals to perform a factory wipe prior to using the auto-install method.

Follow @megatrontv on Twitter at https://twitter.com/megatrontv
    Last edited by superfreak79; 02-13-2015, 04:49.

Comment

Saved for bugs or fixes

(Moderator, please move this to post #3. Thanks)

This is a list of all reported issues with Megatron ROM for ENY EM8 and K200 T8 boxes as well as suggestions that have been made for future releases. I hope to do at least one more update to the ROM and address as many of the issues/suggestions discussed below. Thanks everyone for your contribution

Issues:

- Most importantly, there are many variations of M8-T8 devices out there and Megatron ROM can't predict or prevent all issues

- Clock doesn't work on T8 boxes. This ROM is based on a M8 build and will not support clock

- On-screen keyboard defaults to Chinese language. Apparently, there is a fix for this - but I haven't tried it yet

- Original "m8" devices don't flash. Will add "m8" to updater-script

- "Sleeping beauty syndrome" or "sleep/wake issue" wherein box goes to sleep and doesn't wake up (some devices)

- Blue light stays on after power off (some devices)

- Internet speed capped at about 30 Mb (some devices). Apparently new Acemax/ENY ROMs greatly improve speed

- Buffering issue wherein video appears to be slow motion after 10 minutes. Use Finless init.rc tweak for better streaming

- Can't connect to AC wifi

- Timezone is set to GMT (London). Other time zones need to change time in Android Advanced settings

Suggestions:

- Use "Standby Touch Advanced" app to fix "sleep/wake" issue (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.standbytouch)

- Incorporate newer ether/Wi-Fi transfer & graphics modules from later acemax/ENY ROMs

- Use Acemax new 20150119 firmware as base for Megatron M8 ROM (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?t=22196)
      Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 02-21-2015, 17:24.

Comment

Megatron Rom

I have had the pleasure of testing this ROM from conception to release and have been running on my T8 and M8. This ROM is awesome , many
        thanks for sharing your work , give this ROM a try guys as you will love it

Comment

Great rom, well done

Comment

As we know Stanes Rom has wake up issue, has it been fixed in this Rom?
            Thanx

Comment

mega-tron

Excellent ROM

Great work m8 (y)

Loving it ;-))))

Comment

sleep / wake issue

Originally posted by TMx View Post
                As we know Stanes Rom has wake up issue, has it been fixed in this Rom?
                Thanx
                Can confirm M8 sleep and wake function is working fine with original remote , and T8 powers on / off with original remote

Comment

Nice guys I'll get the m8 back from my daughter and install it for her

Comment

Originally posted by Megaworld View Post
                    Nice guys I'll get the m8 back from my daughter and install it for her
                    Won't be disappointed . it runs like a dream

Comment

Originally posted by Krankie View Post
                      Can confirm M8 sleep and wake function is working fine with original remote , and T8 powers on / off with original remote
                      Wow thats an exciting news Thanx !

Comment

Is this rom just for Square M8 with pcb no. M9&M8_V0.92 or will it be compatible to my M8N pcb no. M9&M8_V1.0..just to confirm b4 i try flashing it to my M8N...thanks in advance.

Comment

I still have the Wake Up issue

I guess its related to Wifi connection , box wakes up ,works ,trying to establish a wifi connection for a while but no success = Reboot

Original M8N.

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by TMx View Post
                            I still have the Wake Up issue

I guess its related to Wifi connection , box wakes up ,works ,trying to establish a wifi connection for a while but no success = Reboot

Original M8N.

Thanks for sharing
                            Testing I carried out was on a m8 and was hard wired and I had no issues

Comment

I'll try this tomorrow after backing up my apps with titanium & also copying Kodi add-ons & settings & also a TWRP Nandroid. Very good work reading the spec and after a long time an actual dev has taken up the challenge after Bob & stane gave up on M8. Good pro report write up too.

If the sleep/wake issue on M8 has been solved which defeated even stane, then this could be THE ROM for M8 that eluded everyone. The sleep/wake issue sometimes doesn't happen but is worse when trying it from inside xbmc (kodi) so I'll try standby sleep/wake from xbmc too. As I wrote in stane's thread, the Touch standBy app actually works most of the time as the box wakes up but it needs exiting xbmc to click it's icon to go to sleep. If fixed, this ROM will be ideal. Before factory reset & toothpick install, I'll try flashing this on top of stane's to see if it keeps current apps & settings.

Later acemax/ENY ROMs in the last several months though buggy apparently have faster ether/ Wi-Fi speeds & better graphics/video handling for 2GB M8 according to what some say. If they are right, it might be a good idea to incorporate the newer ether/Wi-Fi transfer & graphics modules into this build too. Stane apparently got those ROMs early to incorporate but never did release a second version as probably the sleep/wake bug couldn't be solved by him.

Thanks for your effort and time OP and everyone who helped you too.

Comment

Working...
                              X