No announcement yet.

Tronsmart TV Box Ara X5 in August with Cherry Trail Z8300 Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just attempted to install the first major Windows 10 upgrade (build 10586) and it requires that seems to be 9.50Gb of free space on the C: drive to be able to install.

Interestingly there is an option to use an external drive with 10Gb free but even after choosing one the update process still states that I need an additional 4.08Gb of space on the C: drive, regardless of the space available on the external drive.

I guess we are now seeing the limitation of having only a 32Gb storage space.
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Fully updated out of the box mine still has 16gb free room. Is the upgrade free? recall reading that they were making w10 as light as possible to try to keep with the mobile trend. Maybe the upgrade is a desktop version Also I contacted the merchant about those troubles I've been having with mine. I don't think they really understood but suggested updating the firmware from the tronsmart site. I looked but don't see any new firmware just the a driver download pack. My replacement adapter still hasn't arrived was hoping it would come today.​
      Last edited by watties; 11-13-2015, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by watties View Post
        Fully updated out of the box mine still has 16gb free room. Is the upgrade free? recall reading that they were making w10 as light as possible to try to keep with the mobile trend. Maybe the upgrade is a desktop version Also I contacted the merchant about those troubles I've been having with mine. I don't think they really understood but suggested updating the firmware from the tronsmart site. I looked but don't see any new firmware just the a driver download pack. My replacement adapter still hasn't arrived was hoping it would come today.​
        I am not sure there are any differences between what is installed from the factory and from the MS website. I downloaded the Windows 10 OS directly from MS website and created an OS on the pen drive, then used that OS to install on my box. So I am using the Windows 10 OS that comes directly from MIcrosoft and not from Tronsmart. I did use the drivers from the Tronsmart website.
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Yes the upgrade is free and is the same as the one that you would install on an average desktop.

It is essentially service pack 1 by any other name.

I did notice that after a couple of filed attempts at installation, Windows then reports that updates are up to date, which makes me think that they have pulled it for now as I have seen on other blogs that many people have had issues with the upgrade.

Update: In the end I went for a clean install of the latest version and setup again from scratch.

On my desktops/laptops I noticed significant improvements in speed but on the X5 there is probably somewhere in the region of 5% improvement if I have to put a figure on it.
          Last edited by bluesmanuk; 11-17-2015, 03:53.

Comment

Tronsmart say their barrel jacks are 5mm/2.5mm center + . I hadn't heard of 5mm only 5.5 that's all I can get so I hope this is what they meant.
            Havent got a Vernier lying around but know that the originals a tight fit anyone able to verify the size?​

Comment

This box is on sale at Geekbuying for $124.99 with free shipping. Awesome buy.
              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                This box is on sale at Geekbuying for $124.99 with free shipping. Awesome buy.

It says $ 119.99 when I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by tantrums View Post

It says $ 119.99 when I checked.
                  Yes, it said that for me also, but when you go to check out it is $124.99, error or their website.

Comment

I updated to the latest BIOS and now, whenever power is presented to the box is automatically boots up, which is a pain.

Anybody else having the same issue?

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
                      I updated to the latest BIOS and now, whenever power is presented to the box is automatically boots up, which is a pain.

Anybody else having the same issue?
                      Why did you update the bios?

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Why did you update the bios?

Just to see what changes may have been made to improve functionality.

Comment

Had mine for a week..updated the bios...updated to latest win 10 preview...wi-fi drops many times a day...default user id has different permissions to created accounts...octane 2 score only 6900....box reboots a least once a day without warning...prior to this I have had various PIPO boxes X7, X8 , Tablet and none of them were as bad as this...I was expecting a much better box than this

Comment

Had my Tronsmart Ara X5 for about 6 weeks now, and very impressed with it. Been keeping an eye on this thread and its been very helpful and informative.

No problems with the Windows 10 update, as I hadn't filled the hard drive up. I have a USB 2.0 Samsung 750GB drive on the rear USB 3, and that's working without issues.

The only problem I am having is with my 2.4g wireless keyboard. The keyboard wont initialize (become usable) for some 5-10 minutes. When in Devices and Printers I can see that there is a small clock icon next to the keyboard, and when that disappears, it works. Using a Bluetooth keyboard to log in. I have checked the wireless/bluetooth HID box under the Services tab, and disabled any power saving option for the keyboard. I suspect it may be a bios issue, or more likely a Windows 10 problem, as there seems to be a lot of problems with wireless keyboards and mice with the O/S.

Comment

Try using if you can an extension cable M to F for the keyboard dongle I have found some can be nasty and cause all sorts of problems.
                              Cheers
                              treboR
                              Please consider
                              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thanks trebor for the suggestion, no joy. But I think I have resolved the issue. The Samsung external hdrive was USB 2, and windows reported a problem with an 'unknown device'. The suggestion that I should use a USB 3 device. Plugged in my Western Digital USB 3 'My Passport' 2 TB drive and so far no issues with the wireless keyboard. I restart the Ara X5 and the keyboard initializes straight away.

This fix has introduced a new problem. With the Samsung drive I could complete a system backup no problem. With the Western Digital, I have had two errors, one which is odd as one error code is typically associated with network drives, and the second was a 'time out' code. I will keep at it, and if I find a solution will post here.

Just an update. I have purchased a newer version of the Western Digital USB 3 external hard drive (Ultra) and whilst it has introduced a little delay in the wireless keyboard initializing, the backup process is now working. I suspect its a Windows 10 issue, and hoping that over time the issue will be resolved.
                                Last edited by androidcymru; 12-01-2015, 15:31. Reason: Now using a newer Western Digital USB 3 drive

Comment

Working...
                                X