Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

There is an official firmware update for the new Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) on the www.nextbookusa.com website.

I'm downloading currently to take a look. Not sure if this is the promised 4.4.2 update or not.

Here is a direct download link from the nextbook website:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/5a2k9d758f3fedt/update.img

I'm off work this week, so if this is the 4.4.2 update, I expect to have a TWRP recovery and customized ROM available for testing this week.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Well, the update consists of an unmountable update.img file.

I'm assuming this requires a factory update tool to install, but there is no tool or instructions currently on the Nextbook website for this model.

I'll check again tomorrow, and if they haven't posted any additional information, I'll email Nextbook and request instructions regarding how to install the update.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Official Update Instructions

I figured out how to install the official update...

1. Download the official update file from: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5a2k9d758f3fedt/update.img
      2. Move the update.img file to your external SD card.
      3. Turn your tablet on while holding volume-.
      4. The tablet should boot into "Safe mode".
      5. A message box pops up indicating that the update file was found on your external SD card and asking if you want to install it.
      6. Choose OK.
      7. Tablet says it will Reboot.
      8. Update automatically installs.
      9. Tablet reboots.
      10. App optimization occurs.
      11. Startup wizard launches. (Data and cache were not wiped.)
      12. You are prompted to turn on google location services.
      13. You are prompted to delete the update (and advised that it will prompt for installation again each reboot if not deleted.)
      14. Upon completing or exiting startup wizard, the Android 4.4.2 launcher appears.

I'll post first impressions after I've had a chance to try out the new firmware.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Update Breaks Root & Kingo Root No Longer Works

FYI

The official update breaks root and Kingo root no longer works.

You may want to hold off on the update.

We'll have to make a pre-rooted ROM that can be flashed.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Internal Storage Doesn't Mount after Official Update

The internal SD card won't mount after applying the official update.

This would be another good reason not to update.

I'll try to fix this in a modified ROM.

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

That sucks for right now, and I was looking forward to updating both tablets today. Anyway, there is a custom KitKat rom out already for this device over at xda as shown here.

I haven't tested it yet, though so it is at your own risk. Pre-rooted and with Nova Launcher, too. Will update on my end later today hopefully, just with my tablet first before moving on to my sister's.
            NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Originally posted by RosaFang View Post
              That sucks for right now, and I was looking forward to updating both tablets today. Anyway, there is a custom KitKat rom out already for this device over at xda as shown here.

I haven't tested it yet, though so it is at your own risk. Pre-rooted and with Nova Launcher, too. Will update on my end later today hopefully, just with my tablet first before moving on to my sister's.
              Yeah, I haven't tried that yet either, but Oma makes good stuff. I'll probably be using some of his source code when I start compiling for this tablet.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I can't wait for a rom that lets me use more of my internal memory for apps.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                  I can't wait for a rom that lets me use more of my internal memory for apps.
                  Ha! The official update doesn't let you use any of the internal memory for anything!

This will be easy to modify in a custom ROM on these tablets though.

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

i bet this is why nextbook customer support says its not out for OTA yet, maybe it is being worked on. i sure hope they fix it before they go OTA with it, otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy people. on a side not something is up with nextbookusa.com on my end i just get a blank page.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyB123 View Post
                      i bet this is why nextbook customer support says its not out for OTA yet, maybe it is being worked on. i sure hope they fix it before they go OTA with it, otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy people. on a side not something is up with nextbookusa.com on my end i just get a blank page.
                      I'm guessing they don't know how to use the OTA feature...

I'm also betting they aren't working on it because I'm pretty sure Nextbook doesn't do any Android development... they use whatever the parent company and manufacturer Yifang Digital gives them...

Yifang Digital doesn't seem to know much about Android development either based on my experience with their sloppy ROMs....

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Update

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                        Ha! The official update doesn't let you use any of the internal memory for anything!

This will be easy to modify in a custom ROM on these tablets though.

ShaunMT
                        I hate the update is there anyway to revert back?

I found a way to get internal storage back, factory data reset with sd card erase but that still sucks.. One of my biggest complaints is the icon spacing on the home screen. They are placed way to far apart so you end up with multiple screens. Anyway, again is there anyway to revert back to previous version?

Comment

I hate the update is there anyway to revert back?
                          Not yet...

Wasn't planning to do any ROMs based on the original... hopefully I can address your concerns with a modded version of the update....

I found a way to get internal storage back, factory data reset with sd card erase but that still sucks..
                          I tried a factory reset, but not an SD card erase... is that an option in the stock recovery? (Nevermind... found it in the System Settings)

One of my biggest complaints is the icon spacing on the home screen. They are placed way to far apart so you end up with multiple screens.
                          It is a 5x5 icon layout for the stock launcher. You can also stack icons to make folders that popup.

You might want to consider using a 3rd party launcher from the play store. I like the Nova launcher, it's very similar to the stock launcher, but with lots of customization settings.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Update

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                            Not yet...

Wasn't planning to do any ROMs based on the original... hopefully I can address your concerns with a modded version of the update....

I tried a factory reset, but not an SD card erase... is that an option in the stock recovery
                            It is a 5x5 icon layout for the stock launcher. You can also stack icons to make folders that popup.

You might want to consider using a 3rd party launcher from the play store. I like the Nova launcher, it's very similar to the stock launcher, but with lots of customization settings.

ShaunMT
                            Shaun,

I did the reset thru settings which gives you the option. The reset in recovery does not give you the erase option

I tried Oma's custom but could not get my computer to recognize that my tablet was connected

Comment

Originally posted by wiseman9871 View Post
                              Shaun,

I did the reset thru settings which gives you the option. The reset in recovery does not give you the erase option

I tried Oma's custom but could not get my computer to recognize that my tablet was connected

I found the setting to erase SD... worked for me too...

I haven't tried Oma's custom, but I believe it requires some variety of the RK Flash tool to install from a PC, which would require drivers.

I used the Moborobo windows app which automatically installed drivers under windows 7 for me when I was trying to root the new update.

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                              X