Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
    i heard a program called towelroot roots many kitkat roms. have you tried that yet?
    Yeah... that was the first thing I tried after Kingo root failed... didn't work either...

I intend to get my modified and pre-rooted ROM uploaded sometime tonight... gotta get my daughter to bed first...

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
      Yeah... that was the first thing I tried after Kingo root failed... didn't work either...

I intend to get my modified and pre-rooted ROM uploaded sometime tonight... gotta get my daughter to bed first...

ShaunMT
      ill look for more kitkat rom rooting. i downloaded the update but am holding off until proper root comes from it. dis cwm recovery or twrp built for this device

Comment

ill look for more kitkat rom rooting. i downloaded the update but am holding off until proper root comes from it. dis cwm recovery or twrp built for this device
        Root on KK requires running su as a daemon service... which means either a modified init.rc or an init.d script... the best way to do either requires flashing a modified boot image, which my ROM has...

My ROM is just a modified version of the stock update. It can be installed via the stock recovery, or by PC using any of the various rockchip flashing tools.

I'm working on TWRP... it's currently bootable, but needs to be tweaked to support our partition layouts. It should be ready soon.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          Root on KK requires running su as a daemon service... which means either a modified init.rc or an init.d script... the best way to do either requires flashing a modified boot image, which my ROM has...

My ROM is just a modified version of the stock update. It can be installed via the stock recovery, or by PC using any of the various rockchip flashing tools.

I'm working on TWRP... it's currently bootable, but needs to be tweaked to support our partition layouts. It should be ready soon.

ShaunMT
          hmm id that image available?

Comment

hmm id that image available?
            Not yet...

I just need to package everything together into a full update.img, test it to verify everything installs correctly (so far I've only flashed individual partitions) and then I'll upload it. I'll be working on it later tonight after the kid is asleep.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ok. then after that we can get a custom rom built for this tab to get rid of pesky things like bloat and or us to take full use of out of our storage partition

Comment

ok. then after that we can get a custom rom built for this tab to get rid of pesky things like bloat and or us to take full use of out of our storage partition
                Removed some of the bloat from my ROM. With root access, you'll be able to remove whatever else you want.

I also plan to release some optional patches to change the size of /data and /sdcard, and possibly to change the mountpoints to swap the sd cards or use the external SD card only.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

yeah i noticed many were upset that the storage partition is well confusing and sorts and it doesnt make sense. hopefully we can get a rom on here for us to take advantage of it

Comment

yeah i noticed many were upset that the storage partition is well confusing and sorts and it doesnt make sense. hopefully we can get a rom on here for us to take advantage of it
                    At least rockchip firmwares make it easy to change the parition sizes... on the amlogic models the partition layout is hardcoded inside the kernel.

On these all you have to do is flash a new parameter file and then wipe them to reset them with the new sizes.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

cool. what model is your tablet?

Comment

cool. what model is your tablet?
                        I've got all of the following:

Rockchip based:
                        NX785QC8G

Amlogic Based:
                        Next8HI8G
                        Next8HD8G
                        Next7HD8G
                        Next8P12

I've also worked on several other Amlogic based Nextbook models as well a few various TV boxes.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

i see. the first model the nx785qc8g i have. but the storage is confusing. it has flash storage and its a first for me
                          plus whats the build number of 4.4.2 for that tablet

Comment

i see. the first model the nx785qc8g i have. but the storage is confusing. it has flash storage and its a first for me
                            All of the Nextbooks do... in fact, most modern android devices do. Most tablets, especially cheap ones, have both internal and external storage.

The lack of full support in Android for both internal and external SD cards is why so many of the newer phones don't have SD card slots. By making them internal storage only, they don't have to answer support questions or complaints about external cards, can charge more for phones with more internal storage, and make people want to upgrade to newer models with more internal storage.
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

a major fail on their part in android. not to mention many are complaining due to the sdcard slot being unavailable. plus there is a whole forum on sdcards with android. theres so much support on the forums for sdcards online in android forums. so yeah we can help those who need it. customer support sucks badly and its the modders and developers that are the real support. plus the model nx785qc8g is a new tab. so i couldnt do much yet. but will still look for exploits. but yeah sdcards have a lot of support from us. so we can help alot.
                              Last edited by mel4787; 08-13-2014, 05:54.

Comment

Making a few last minute tweaks to my first ROM for the NX785QC8G

FYI,

I'm currently wrapping up my first ROM for the NX785QC8G... should be uploading in just a little while...

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X