Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
    Welcome to Freaktab!

Yes, I also updated to the official 4.4.2. It will still be possible to get root and everything else. It will also be possible to make the internal sd card smaller in order to make more space available for apps.

ShaunMT
    Shaun, if all we want is the stock v4.4.2, rooted and with a larger app space (say 2GB), should we update now and wait for your tweak?
    Nextbook Premium 8 SE (Next8P12) - * ROOTED * (Sold on ****)
    AML8726-M3 Cortex A9 @ 1GHz

Nextbook Premium 8 HD (N0008HD8G) - * ROOTED *

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) - STOCK (unfortunately)

Comment

Does anyone have recommendations for a case?

I'd like to get one that protects the corners, since it appears this is where my last tablet made contact with a tile floor and cracked the entire screen. Yes, it was in the case when it broke!

I've seen a lot of cases on **** and Amazon.com but nothing made by Nextbook. Walmart sells the tablet but no case for it, of course, just like the last one.

FYI, I'm leaning towards this one:
      Nextbook Premium 8 SE (Next8P12) - * ROOTED * (Sold on ****)
      AML8726-M3 Cortex A9 @ 1GHz

Nextbook Premium 8 HD (N0008HD8G) - * ROOTED *

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) - STOCK (unfortunately)

Comment

Re: Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Originally posted by eegorr View Post
        Shaun, if all we want is the stock v4.4.2, rooted and with a larger app space (say 2GB), should we update now and wait for your tweak?
        You can update now if you want.

Just be aware that you will have to do a factory reset to install the rooted version or change the partition layout.

I should have some sort of rooted update available by tonight.

Maybe a few days for twrp recovery, partition size changes and a fully modified rom. Not sure how long it will take to get all of it ready.

So far development is going smoothly and relatively quick considering my limited time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) + Towel Root

Has anybody used Towel Root on their Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) tablet to see if it can root their tablet?

Works on kernels earlier than June 3, 2014.

Exploit is from George Hotz, the famous iOS jailbreaker and PS3 hacker.

No PC needed, just download the tr.apk to your tablet from the website, install and run.

I just rooted my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet which runs KK 4.4.4 using Towel Root. Worked great. SuperSu, Busybox, ROM Tool Box Pro and Titanium Backup Pro all installed without incident.

MoeFoh

Comment

Originally posted by MoeFoh View Post
            Has anybody used Towel Root on their Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) tablet to see if it can root their tablet?

Works on kernels earlier than June 3, 2014.

Exploit is from George Hotz, the famous iOS jailbreaker and PS3 hacker.

No PC needed, just download the tr.apk to your tablet from the website, install and run.

I just rooted my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet which runs KK 4.4.4 using Towel Root. Worked great. SuperSu, Busybox, ROM Tool Box Pro and Titanium Backup Pro all installed without incident.

MoeFoh
            I tried it on 4.4.2... didn't work.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

My ROM for this model is progressing quickly...

I've figured out how to make an update.img that is flashable using the stock recovery, which means we won't need a PC to install custom recovery or root. This is going to make it so much easier for everyone.

I've also figured out how to resize the partitions. It looks like I'll be able to offer several different options for the size of the /data and /sdcard partitions. This will just require a flash, followed by a factory restore and SD card erase.

All I've got left is to mod the system, test everything, package it all up, upload the files and post the links.

ShaunMT

Any update on the status of the img for 4.4.2 I know I hate when people keep asking me for updates but im just curious if you hit a roadblock on this

Comment

Originally posted by jrubin View Post
                Any update on the status of the img for 4.4.2 I know I hate when people keep asking me for updates but im just curious if you hit a roadblock on this
                No roadblocks, just really busy this week with work, school and family... been too exhausted to stay up and work on it at night instead of sleeping.

I'm pushing hard to get at least some of the files released tonight or tomorrow, but I've also got household chores to do and a business event to attend tomorrow.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

No roadblocks, just really busy this week with work, school and family... been too exhausted to stay up and work on it at night instead of sleeping.

I'm pushing hard to get at least some of the files released tonight or tomorrow, but I've also got household chores to do and a business event to attend tomorrow.

ShaunMT
                  Shaun,

Is it possible to configue the update so that we have the option to save what we download directly to the external SD Card?

Comment

Originally posted by wiseman9871 View Post
                    Shaun,

Is it possible to configue the update so that we have the option to save what we download directly to the external SD Card?
                    I assume you are referring to app downloads from the play store? Files downloads from a web browser and such should already be able to download to external sd, unless the app doesn't support KK permissions.

For app installs, it should be possible to load a modified parameter file to move most or all of the internal SD space to /data for apps and then load another patch to either swap the internal and external mount points or mount the external card only. I have not yet tested these scenarios though.
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

i was just about to update my firmware. i have 6 min before the dl is complete. guess i will be holding off for now.

ditched the ipad for a nextbook nx785qc8g-b from walmart. the ipad was my son's and the problem was you give him the tablet and tell him to work on some math and before you know it he's trying to explain how angry birds is just basic geometry. needless to say i needed something where i can put the games on an external card and the school stuff on the internal storage. that way i can remove the game option from the device by just taking the card. everyone said "you can do it", however i am running into some problems.

first question: what's the purpose of telling me that i'm moving to sd card when really i am moving to NAND? second: what's the purpose of two internal partitions? when i reset to factory default it all goes bye bye.
                      third: is it possible to store and run apps off of an sd card? school has already started here and my son benefits from having the device due to his

i have figured out how to get into the developer options to set usb debugging (what ever that's for) and i have tried to follow anything i can find, however nothing i have come across is successful. this is what i am currently frustrated with... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVOj2WnEeLw.

Comment

Originally posted by rraustin2 View Post
                        i was just about to update my firmware. i have 6 min before the dl is complete. guess i will be holding off for now.

ditched the ipad for a nextbook nx785qc8g-b from walmart. the ipad was my son's and the problem was you give him the tablet and tell him to work on some math and before you know it he's trying to explain how angry birds is just basic geometry. needless to say i needed something where i can put the games on an external card and the school stuff on the internal storage. that way i can remove the game option from the device by just taking the card. everyone said "you can do it", however i am running into some problems.

first question: what's the purpose of telling me that i'm moving to sd card when really i am moving to NAND? second: what's the purpose of two internal partitions? when i reset to factory default it all goes bye bye.
                        third: is it possible to store and run apps off of an sd card? school has already started here and my son benefits from having the device due to his

i have figured out how to get into the developer options to set usb debugging (what ever that's for) and i have tried to follow anything i can find, however nothing i have come across is successful. this is what i am currently frustrated with... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVOj2WnEeLw.
                        The problem is that the Android operating system doesn't fully support multiple SD cards.

Many devices today, including all of the Nextbook tablets, have an internal NAND partition mounted as an internal SD Card, plus an external SD card reader...

Android only supports installing apps in /Data or /SD Card (the primary internal SD card).

On this model, it might be possible to create a patch to remove the internal SD card partition, increase the size of the /data partition, and then mount the external sd card as the primary SD card, but I haven't done any testing of this yet...

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Is there anything that I could test for you. I did a lot of testing for the ROM on xda developed by OMA

Comment

I'm running a rooted 4.4.2 from there with xposed

Comment

The problem is that the Android operating system doesn't fully support multiple SD cards.

Many devices today, including all of the Nextbook tablets, have an internal NAND partition mounted as an internal SD Card, plus an external SD card reader...

Android only supports installing apps in /Data or /SD Card (the primary internal SD card).

On this model, it might be possible to create a patch to remove the internal SD card partition, increase the size of the /data partition, and then mount the external sd card as the primary SD card, but I haven't done any testing of this yet...

ShaunMT
                              having an external card slot is in my opinion is one of the main thing that seperates android devices from apple device. i'm suprised that the makers of andriod haven't fully embraced this fact. i am hoping that i have peaked your interest or that maybe you may be able to direct me in the right direction.

Comment

FYI

The official update breaks root and Kingo root no longer works.

You may want to hold off on the update.

We'll have to make a pre-rooted ROM that can be flashed.

ShaunMT
                                i heard a program called towelroot roots many kitkat roms. have you tried that yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X