Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTEI don't have shaunmt;215729]FYI,

I'm currently wrapping up my first ROM for the NX785QC8G... should be uploading in just a little while...

ShaunMT[/QUOTE]

Yay. Only problem is I have no custom recovery installed

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
      [QUOTEI don't have shaunmt;215729]FYI,

I'm currently wrapping up my first ROM for the NX785QC8G... should be uploading in just a little while...

ShaunMT
      Yay. Only problem is I have no custom recovery installed[/QUOTE]

Don't need one... you'll be able to install this using the stock recovery. (just like the official update)

I'm still working on TWRP...

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
        Yay. Only prob is I have no custom recovery installed
        Don't need one... you'll be able to install this using the stock recovery. (just like the official update)

ShaunMT[/QUOTE]

Sweet. What mods did you do for the rom and what is version is it running

Comment

ShaunMT
          Sweet. What mods did you do for the rom and what is version is it running[/QUOTE]

It is based on the official 4.4.2 update.

Not a lot of mods, just the basics:

Pre-rooted (just download your preferred super user app)
          Replaced kernel logo with mine (fyi the 2nd boot logo is never displayed on this ROM)
          Enabled both ADB and mass-storage modes
          Enabled ADB Root access
          Enabled init.d support
          Minimal debloat (you've got root access so feel free to remove whatever else you like)

I think that's about it for now...

In the very near future, I plan to release patches to change the sizes of /data and /sd card. I'm guessing not everyone will want the same thing, so there will be a couple of different options offered.

I'm still working on TWRP recovery... not sure how long this will take...

After I finish TWRP, I'll probably look into building Cyanogenmod...

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmtcamera is sweet. What mods did you do for the rom and what is version is it running[/QUOTE

It is based on the official 4.4.2 update.

Not a lot of mods, just the basics:

Pre-rooted (just download your preferred super user app)
            Replaced kernel logo with mine (fyi the 2nd boot logo is never displayed on this ROM)
            Enabled both ADB and mass-storage modes
            Enabled ADB Root access
            Enabled init.d support
            Minimal debloat (you've got root access so feel free to remove whatever else you like)

I think that's about it for now...

In the very near future, I plan to release patches to change the sizes of /data and /sd card. I'm guessing not everyone will want the same thing, so there will be a couple of different options offered.

I'm still working on TWRP recovery... not sure how long this will take...

After I finish TWRP, I'll probably look into building Cyanogenmod...

ShaunMT
            Bluetooth and camera is broken in it. That's why I don't use it. But I will test it for you to find bugs in it.

Comment

Bluetooth and camera is broken in it. That's why I don't use it. But I will test it for you to find bugs in it.
              I assume that was in reference to Cyanogenmod?

Cyanogenmod should be simple to build for this model because it doesn't require any of the ubifs modifications that the previous models required and I don't believe it has any strange orientation issues either.

The NX785QC8G doesn't have internal bluetooth and I don't have any external bluetooth dongles to test.

I don't think the camera will present any problems, but if it does, it should be easier to resolve.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                I assume that was in reference to Cyanogenmod?

Cyanogenmod should be simple to build for this model because it doesn't require any of the ubifs modifications that the previous models required and I don't believe it has any strange orientation issues either.

The NX785QC8G doesn't have internal bluetooth and I don't have any external bluetooth dongles to test.

I don't think the camera will present any problems, but if it does, it should be easier to resolve.

ShaunMT
                Alrighty. So is there a way to fuse the memory in the tablet into one

Comment

Alrighty. So is there a way to fuse the memory in the tablet into one
                  Are you referring to /data and /sdcard or to /sd card and /external_sdcard?

I know for certain that /data can be made larger if /sdcard is made smaller.

It should also be possible to swap /sdcard with /external_sdcard or to eliminate /sdcard and use /external_sd card instead, but I haven't tested these possibilities yet.

I plan to release multiple patches for different /data & /sdcard size options, and hopefully the sdcard swap or eliminate options as well.

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by 215752
                    Are you referring to /data and /sdcard or to /sd card and /external_sdcard?

I know for certain that /data can be made larger if /sdcard is made smaller.

It should also be possible to swap /sdcard with /external_sdcard or to eliminate /sdcard and use /external_sd card instead, but I haven't tested these possibilities yet.

I plan to release multiple patches for different /data & /sdcard size options, and hopefully the sdcard swap or eliminate options as well.

ShaunMT
                    Hmm then whats with the nand flash storage that's separate from the internal and external storages

Comment

Hmm then whats with the nand flash storage that's separate from the internal and external storages
                      I don't remember which is which in the system settings... but one of them actually refers to the /data partition, while the other refers to the /sdcard (internal) partition... everything actually resides on partitions of the nand flash attached to various mountpoints, except for the external sd card.

The names are confusing... and for some reason, the system settings don't even display things like /system anymore...

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

So it might be data. Well these tabs may need to have a new partition layout

Comment

So it might be data. Well these tabs may need to have a new partition layout
                          /Data (the default [or only] install location for most apps) is unbelievably small on these tablets (and most other cheap tablets as well)

Some apps can't move to sdcard at all, and for those that can, they can only move to the internal sd card, because Android doesn't fully support multiple sd cards.

I suspect Google always expected sdcards would be of the physical, external variety only.

Manufacturers most likely started using internal sd card partitions because users couldn't easily mount unix file systems on windows PCs to copy photos, music and video files back and forth. Then as the demand for multi-media storage grew, so did the sdcard partitions.

Large internal memory is a selling point. (Just don't tell them that the firmware uses half it and only a fourth or so of the remainder can be used for downloading apps)

Expandable storage via external SD card is a selling point. (Just don't tell them that they can only use the extra space for file storage)

Now, many phones no longer have the option of replaceable batteries or external sdcards...

I'm sure the manufacturers must have realized that non-removable batteries and a single internal SD card were both easier to provide user support for and also that irreplaceable batteries and limited app space would fuel demand for newer devices.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

That was well thorough. I see and now understand from their viewpoint. But with those in place its harder for ppl to afford things like that. Is your ROM ready?

Comment

That was well thorough. I see and now understand from their viewpoint. But with those in place its harder for ppl to afford things like that. Is your ROM ready?
                              Agreed... the solution to the sdcard compaints is that Google needs to update Android to fully support multiple sd cards, and offer configurable location paths for applications.

I think I'm my final round of testing... I keep finding little things that I either forgot to change or forgot to include when packaging the ROM...

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

We REALLY need the entire internal storage to be the data partition and the external SD to be the only SD. This is how my Galaxy S4 is due to Cyanogenmod, and it's wonderful. I still managed to almost fill up my data (entire 16GB internal storage) with apps. It was a shock when I bought this tablet and how little apps I can put on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X