No announcement yet.

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what else I'd like to see in a ROM, I'd like to see customizable on screen soft key buttons. I have a Samsung phone and I'd like to have my Nextbook have he same soft key layout since I'm used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
      You know what else I'd like to see in a ROM, I'd like to see customizable on screen soft key buttons. I have a Samsung phone and I'd like to have my Nextbook have he same soft key layout since I'm used to it.
      I'd be surprised if there isn't an xposed module to take care of that for you.

If you don't know what xposed is, you should learn right now. Google it.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

More update questions

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

ShaunMT
        I also noticed that all my bookmarks that are supposedly stored in the cloud are now gone. When you add one it only has the option for "local" instead of my google account.

Anyone know a way to get them back?

Comment

ShaunMT
          I'll take a look. I played around with Xposed a little before on my Galaxy S4 before I decided to install Cyanogenmod 11. Thanks!

By the way, how is the ROM coming?

Comment

I'll take a look. I played around with Xposed a little before on my Galaxy S4 before I decided to install Cyanogenmod 11. Thanks!

By the way, how is the ROM coming?
            My ROM for this model is progressing quickly...

I've figured out how to make an update.img that is flashable using the stock recovery, which means we won't need a PC to install custom recovery or root. This is going to make it so much easier for everyone.

I've also figured out how to resize the partitions. It looks like I'll be able to offer several different options for the size of the /data and /sdcard partitions. This will just require a flash, followed by a factory restore and SD card erase.

All I've got left is to mod the system, test everything, package it all up, upload the files and post the links.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

My ROM for this model is progressing quickly...

I've figured out how to make an update.img that is flashable using the stock recovery, which means we won't need a PC to install custom recovery or root. This is going to make it so much easier for everyone.

I've also figured out how to resize the partitions. It looks like I'll be able to offer several different options for the size of the /data and /sdcard partitions. This will just require a flash, followed by a factory restore and SD card erase.

All I've got left is to mod the system, test everything, package it all up, upload the files and post the links.

ShaunMT
              With your mods, will it be possible to have the external SD card be the only SD partition and have the internal SD space (currently a extra 4.7 GB or so) be turned into app space? That's the only thing I would like to have happen since Nextbook/Yifang/Digiin just doesn't give us enough app space currently with only 1GB currently partitioned.

And when do you expect your custom rom out? I'll be one of your guinea pigs on this one.
              NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Re: Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Originally posted by RosaFang View Post
                With your mods, will it be possible to have the external SD card be the only SD partition and have the internal SD space (currently a extra 4.7 GB or so) be turned into app space? That's the only thing I would like to have happen since Nextbook/Yifang/Digiin just doesn't give us enough app space currently with only 1GB currently partitioned.

And when do you expect your custom rom out? I'll be one of your guinea pigs on this one.
                Yes, I have successfully moved some space from sdcard to data for more app space. I will be able to provide some different sizes to choose from.

I havent yet tried but it might even be possible to use the external sd card as the primary and only sd card space.

Im off work this week so I might have something ready for this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Yes, I have successfully moved some space from sdcard to data for more app space. I will be able to provide some different sizes to choose from.

I havent yet tried but it might even be possible to use the external sd card as the primary and only sd card space.

Im off work this week so I might have something ready for this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                  Sorry to be new to the community and already asking for things, but... Would it be possible to make an update.img to root the new 4.4.2? Just root, no modifications? Last night i managed to unpack the update image and the system.img inside that before realizing i can't add su without being able to set permissions. I'm on windows 7 and can't find a way to edit an ext4 img...
                  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile1975 View Post
                    Sorry to be new to the community and already asking for things, but... Would it be possible to make an update.img to root the new 4.4.2? Just root, no modifications? Last night i managed to unpack the update image and the system.img inside that before realizing i can't add su without being able to set permissions. I'm on windows 7 and can't find a way to edit an ext4 img...
                    Thanks for any help you can provide.
                    Yeah... I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it won't be long. Then entire ROM probably isn't very far away, but if I can't get it ready in the next day or so, I'll release patches with root and / or TWRP recovery.

The biggest challenge I'm seeing right now is a new one... The stock recovery has the really cool feature to flash Rockchip update.img files right from recovery. This usually requires a PC to do. If we replace the stock recovery with a standard TWRP recovery, we will lose that feature.

I really don't want to lose that feature, because it is the only way to flash the parameter file which defines the sizes for the partitions, and I expect that people will want to experiment with different parameter files with different sizes for /data and /sdcard.

I don't want to support the use of any of the PC flashing tools, because it would consume too much of my time. I also don't want people to have to flash back to stock recovery just to flash an update.img.

I found some Rockchip source code that includes the recovery with the rkimage flash feature. I'm hoping I can add the feature to a custom version of TWRP so we can have the best of both worlds!

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Rooting...

I found the setting to erase SD... worked for me too...

I haven't tried Oma's custom, but I believe it requires some variety of the RK Flash tool to install from a PC, which would require drivers.

I used the Moborobo windows app which automatically installed drivers under windows 7 for me when I was trying to root the new update.

ShaunMT

ShaunMT, how did you end up rooting this tablet? Just curious if 4.4.2 was a more difficult OS version to root.

Is this tablet worth buying? A custom ROM would sure go a long way. I wasn't interested this tablet until now!

MoeFoh

Comment

Originally posted by MoeFoh View Post
                        ShaunMT, how did you end up rooting this tablet? Just curious if 4.4.2 was a more difficult OS version to root.

Is this tablet worth buying? A custom ROM would sure go a long way. I wasn't interested this tablet until now!

MoeFoh
                        The 4.2.2 rom was rooted with Kingo root.

I haven't found any working exploits for the 4.4.2 ROM, but I am able to flash the unrooted tablet. I'm planning to provide a pre-rooted rom as well as a flashable patch like my kyser_root patch.

I think it is a nice device for $99 from the local Wal Mart. My local Wal mart recently redesigned their product displays and now has live demo tablets on display. You might be able to play with one on display at your Wal Mart.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Greetings all! I registered today to thank you ShaunMT for the development you are putting into this tablet. It is great so far for a budget device, but it needs some serious help in the partition department. I also have a question and hope to get a good answer:

Will your upcoming update.img file work on a tablet that was updated to 4.4.2 since that killed root? I updated before I rooted, and found out the hard way that kingo is now a no-go. I have ART enabled and that left me with only 500mb available for apps.

Looking forward to your ROM!

-Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by AMMO View Post
                            Greetings all! I registered today to thank you ShaunMT for the development you are putting into this tablet. It is great so far for a budget device, but it needs some serious help in the partition department. I also have a question and hope to get a good answer:

Will your upcoming update.img file work on a tablet that was updated to 4.4.2 since that killed root? I updated before I rooted, and found out the hard way that kingo is now a no-go. I have ART enabled and that left me with only 500mb available for apps.

Looking forward to your ROM!

-Jeff
                            Welcome to Freaktab!

Yes, I also updated to the official 4.4.2. It will still be possible to get root and everything else. It will also be possible to make the internal sd card smaller in order to make more space available for apps.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I haven't updated to the 4.4.2 stock KitKat firmware because I'm waiting for your ROM shaunmt. I am curious tho, is the way to access recovery the same on 4.4.2 as it was on 4.2.2?

Comment

I haven't updated to the 4.4.2 stock KitKat firmware because I'm waiting for your ROM shaunmt. I am curious tho, its the way to access recovery the same on 4.4.2 as it was on 4.2.2?
                                Yes it is.
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X