Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttrax321 View Post
    Do you have the nx785qcg drivers cause the tabs mtp mode which is a lucky break cause you need to be to flash omas ROM cpu recognizes rockusb I think if I had the stock USB drivers I'd be good to go still getting no found rockusb message with rktools
    The drivers are included in Oma's ROM package

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
      How are things going with TWRP?
      No progress recently. I just returned from vacation with the family.

I do have some updates regarding battery issues though... I'll be posting my latest findings as soon as I finish responding to people.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
        How are things with twrp and ROM management?
        No progress recently. I just returned from vacation with the family.

I do have some updates regarding battery issues though... I'll be posting my latest findings as soon as I finish responding to people.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Possible Battery Solution: Check the battery cable connection inside the tablet

While on vacation, I was forced to use my tablet to do college course work because I forgot my laptap power cord...

My tablet would not turn on or charge properly. Normally, I have to reboot to recovery and factory reset or wipe data & cache, but at the time, I had a non-bootable test copy of TWRP installed... I couldn't reflash because my laptop was dead also...

In frustration and desperation, I carefully popped the back cover off the tablet and guess what I found... the battery cable was not firmly plugged in... I unplugged it, plugged it back in firmly and completely... and my battery has seemed normal ever since!

It charges quickly and no longer sticks at 100% before the battery level starts draining at a what I consider a normal rate. I'm still testing draining the battery until shutoff and recharging from that point... I will update results again later.

ShaunMT
          Last edited by shaunmt; 09-29-2014, 02:40. Reason: typos
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
            While on vacation, I was forced to use my tablet to do college course work because I forgot my laptap power cord...

My tablet would turn on or charge properly. Normally, I have to reboot to recovery and factory reset or wipe data & cache, but at the time, I had a non-bootable test copy of TWRP installed... I couldn't reflash because my laptop was dead also...

In frustration and desperation, I carefully popped the back cover off the tablet and guess what I found... the battery cable was not firmly plugged in... I unplugged it, plugged it back in firmly and completely... and my batter has seemed normal ever since!

It charges quickly and no longer sticks at 100% before the battery level starts draining at a what I consider a normal rate. I'm still testing draining the battery until shutoff and recharging from that point... I will update results again later.

ShaunMT
            Will check it out asap. Let you know the results.

Comment

My tablet would not turn on or charge properly. Normally, I have to reboot to recovery and factory reset or wipe data & cache, but at the time, I had a non-bootable test copy of TWRP installed... I couldn't reflash because my laptop was dead also...

In frustration and desperation, I carefully popped the back cover off the tablet and guess what I found... the battery cable was not firmly plugged in... I unplugged it, plugged it back in firmly and completely... and my battery has seemed normal ever since!

ShaunMT
              I have one problem remaining with my battery... the low battery warning doesn't appear until 15%, at which point the tablet also dies (real battery level must be zero). Then the tablet won't restart until the battery is charged to 6% (apparently the safety shutoff to protect the battery from full discharge is configured for 5%).

I'm currently recharging and will try to recalibrate the battery to see if I can get the low end battery level and low battery warning to work correctly.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I have one problem remaining with my battery... the low battery warning doesn't appear until 15%, at which point the tablet also dies (real battery level must be zero). Then the tablet won't restart until the battery is charged to 6% (apparently the safety shutoff to protect the battery from full discharge is configured for 5%).I'm currently recharging and will try to recalibrate the battery to see if I can get the low end battery level and low battery warning to work correctly.ShaunMT
                That's always happened to me since day one. Now my tablet shuts off at about 50%. At this point, I'll settle for the same results as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandoamg360 View Post
                  That's always happened to me since day one. Now my tablet shuts off at about 50%. At this point, I'll settle for the same results as yours.
                  Mine is at least consistent now... I've fully charged and fully drained it twice now... exact same results both times...

Previously... it shutdown sooner each time like yours...

I'm hoping this change will make the recalibration work to fix it fully and permanently (assuming the battery cable connection doesn't work itself loose again).

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Mine is at least consistent now... I've fully charged and fully drained it twice now... exact same results both times...

Previously... it shutdown sooner each time like yours...

I'm hoping this change will make the recalibration work to fix it fully and permanently (assuming the battery cable connection doesn't work itself loose again).

ShaunMT
                    Well... couldn't turn on again... popped cover off and battery connection appeared loose again... push it in and tablet powered up at 18%... going to have to try taping or glueing batter cable connector to keep it firmly plugged in...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Well... couldn't turn on again... popped cover off and battery connection appeared loose again... push it in and tablet powered up at 18%... going to have to try taping or glueing batter cable connector to keep it firmly plugged in...

ShaunMT
                      Really? I've dropped my tab a couple of times. Nothing serious. Not enough to crack the screen. I wonder if that somehow contributed to loosening the wire? Or is it faulty by default? By the amount of reports of battery problems, I'm guessing it's a faulty wire. Has anyone else dropped their tab?

Comment

Really? I've dropped my tab a couple of times. Nothing serious. Not enough to crack the screen. I wonder if that somehow contributed to loosening the wire? Or is it faulty by default? By the amount of reports of battery problems, I'm guessing it's a faulty wire. Has anyone else dropped their tab?
                        Just a guess... but I'm guessing that popping the cover on puts enough pressure on the battery cables to cause one side of the cable connector to pop loose... If my guess is correct, it's a design flaw in the connector, cable, and case combination that probably affects almost every unit...

I'm planning to try some electrical tape to hold it together... if that fails, I'll use some low temp hot glue on it... either will be easy to peel off in the future if necessary...

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ShaunMT
                          With the cover off, and the battery cable firmly connected... low battery warning pops up when battery changes from 15% to 14%... tablet remains on... currently at 11% and waiting to see when emergency shutdown occurs...

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

With the cover off, and the battery cable firmly connected... low battery warning pops up when battery changes from 15% to 14%... tablet remains on... currently at 11% and waiting to see when emergency shutdown occurs...ShaunMT
                            You're a genius bro! I knew you'd figure this thing out!

Comment

You're a genius bro! I knew you'd figure this thing out!

Currently at 8% and still waiting for emergency shutdown...

I also noticed that one of the 4 wires on the battery cable is taped over the corner of the battery (the one on the end of the connector that pops loose). The extra pressure between the corner of the battery and the back case probably causes it to pull loose... will reroute it before taping / gluing the connector... If popping the case on doesn't cause it to pull loose, I bet just a gentle squeeze in the right spot while holding the tablet would do it...

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

With the cover off, and the battery cable firmly connected... low battery warning pops up when battery changes from 15% to 14%... tablet remains on... currently at 11% and waiting to see when emergency shutdown occurs...

ShaunMT
                                If this really does fix all the battery issues, I'll probably have to take some photos or even do a short video demonstrating the problem and fix...

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X