Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S Pro L TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetnonso View Post

Since this rom is rooted, why not just install the android tv app REBOOT RECOVERY from the android tv playstore. it makes your life so much easier.
    Thanks for the quick response. I was able to access and restore the firmware. The problem remains, the box continues to block.

Comment

Hi,
      Received the box and installed TVStock Nexus ROM.

Can someone let me know how to open the "Live Channels" app?
      Also, can we customize the Home screen 'tiles' with random youtube videos?

I am new to Android TV and Noughat.

Thanks

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        You need to install one of the channel providers, such as Pluto or Haystack, and then the Live Channels TV app will be unhidden. (This always seemed a horrible UI decision by Google that destroys discoverability. After all, Google Play Movies comes with its own channel provider for previews. That should count, at least.)

Originally posted by jomagaar View Post

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to access and restore the firmware. The problem remains, the box continues to block.

Have you restored the original firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by jomagaar View Post

There's definitely something wrong somewhere, its just unfortunate Guest has as yet been unable to recreate the error his end. Like i said earlier, i swapped my hdmi cable with an old one last night, lets see whether that will help. Will feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by nitro82 View Post

Have you restored the original firmware?
          Yes: After accessing the TWRP I installed through the SD card

Comment

There's definitely something wrong somewhere, its just unfortunate Guest has as yet been unable to recreate the error his end. Like i said earlier, i swapped my hdmi cable with an old one last night, lets see whether that will help. Will feedback.

The problem is not that, I already used three different hdmi cables

Comment

Now I tried to change the power supply (taken from M8S PRO). I will let you know if there are news.

Comment

Hello, ive bricked my device :-(

I dont know what really happened, but ive tried to flash with the usb burning tool the Mecool M8S Pro Stock & Nano Nexus ROM because i dont like the ATV ones. But that bricked the device. So i opened the device and shorted the needed pins to go back to stock. I used the M8S_PRO_L-20170918.111557.V0619.img from the forum, but it stops at 2 % with usb error. ive tried 2 different usb cable.

now ive installed a serial to usb adapter and get this in loop:

GXM:BL1:dc8b51:76f1a5;FEAT:ADFC318C:0;POC:3;RCY:0; EMMC:0;READ:0;0.0;CHK:0;
                TE: 126196

BL2 Built : 13:38:48, Mar 8 2017.
                gxl g8e12692 - xiaobo.gu@droid05

set vdd cpu_a to 1120 mv
                set vdd cpu_b to 1050 mv
                set vddee to 1000 mv
                Board ID = 4
                CPU clk: 1200MHz
                DQS-corr enabled
                DDR scramble enabled
                DDR3 chl: Rank0+1 @ 912MHz - FAIL
                DDR4 chl: Rank0+1 @ 792MHz - FAIL
                DDR init failed...
                Reset...

has anyone an idea? has i killed the mecool? thank you

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's because the bootloaders for the M8S Pro and the M8S Pro L are INCOMPATIBLE. (It's how I bricked my first M8S Pro L.) That old .img file that I created for the M8S Pro L should no longer be available, since it doesn't work. (The u-boot binaries that I borrowed from the M8S Pro are also incompatible.)

If it's any consolation, I'm in the exact same situation. Without an .img file for the M8S Pro L, we can't recover by shorting pins for Mask ROM mode. We need those u-boot binaries. I'm using mine as a paperweight until they're available.

Originally posted by Gündogan View Post
                Hello, ive bricked my device :-(

I dont know what really happened, but ive tried to flash with the usb burning tool the Mecool M8S Pro Stock & Nano Nexus ROM because i dont like the ATV ones. But that bricked the device. So i opened the device and shorted the needed pins to go back to stock. I used the M8S_PRO_L-20170918.111557.V0619.img from the forum, but it stops at 2 % with usb error. ive tried 2 different usb cable.

now ive installed a serial to usb adapter and get this in loop:

GXM:BL1:dc8b51:76f1a5;FEAT:ADFC318C:0;POC:3;RCY:0; EMMC:0;READ:0;0.0;CHK:0;
                TE: 126196

BL2 Built : 13:38:48, Mar 8 2017.
                gxl g8e12692 - xiaobo.gu@droid05

set vdd cpu_a to 1120 mv
                set vdd cpu_b to 1050 mv
                set vddee to 1000 mv
                Board ID = 4
                CPU clk: 1200MHz
                DQS-corr enabled
                DDR scramble enabled
                DDR3 chl: Rank0+1 @ 912MHz - FAIL
                DDR4 chl: Rank0+1 @ 792MHz - FAIL
                DDR init failed...
                Reset...

has anyone an idea? has i killed the mecool? thank you
                If am not mistaken, the initial rom you tried flashing(m8s pro) must have corrupted your boatloader as it is a rom for a different reference board. You might have to wait for Guest to give you guidance, but suffice it to say that people should make sure they match the correct rom to the right reference boards before flashing.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, and I need to update the environment checks for my M8S Pro OTA updates to ensure they refuse to install on the M8S Pro L. While very similar hardware that's based off the same reference board, we now know the bootloaders are incompatible. Perhaps we can prevent the next person from making this same mistake.

UPDATE: The scripts have been updated so that you can't install M8S Pro to M8S Pro L and vice versa. Refresh your downloads from the existing links to get the change.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2017, 21:10.

Thank you for the quick reply. so its not totally dead? But we have to wait...

Comment

one thing i learned about andriod boxes over the years is how to read the update-script inside an OTA.zip
                  If people are going to try different roms i suggest people view/read it just to understand it abit better.

later on you'll be editing it and resigning in no time

Comment

@Magendanz
                  I have just purchased this Android box.
                  It arrives in a couple of days
                  What is the best way to put your rom onto the box ?
                  I was thinking usb flash drive and through the update panel on the box menu.
                  Thanks.

Comment

If am not mistaken, the initial rom you tried flashing(m8s pro) must have corrupted your boatloader as it is a rom for a different reference board. You might have to wait for Guest to give you guidance, but suffice it to say that people should make sure they match the correct rom to the right reference boards before flashing.
                    So I have a question ... if TWRP has been built for this model M8S Pro L, can I restore the dat file via TWRP instead of playing with flashing etc.? If I can restore via TWRP is it just "Restore" option? Magendanz "update_M8S_PRO_L-V0619_TVStock-20171001' this is the latest for M8S Pro L correct?

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What do you mean by "restore the dat file"? What file is that? Do you mean a TWRP backup?

Originally posted by korgix300 View Post

So I have a question ... if TWRP has been built for this model M8S Pro L, can I restore the dat file via TWRP instead of playing with flashing etc.? If I can restore via TWRP is it just "Restore" option? Magendanz "update_M8S_PRO_L-V0619_TVStock-20171001' this is the latest for M8S Pro L correct?
                    I am a bit confused what the archive package "update_M8S_PRO_L-V0619_TVStock-20171001" contains and the explanation you have provided in your first post under "TVStock variant includes" and "Notes: The updater is signed, and so can be installed in the Update app, the stock recovery, or TWRP". I assumed the updater could be restored by TWRP meaning dd the recovery.img (if it is TWRP image) and then from TWRP restore ROM. Am I going about this the wrong way? If I am wrong how would you go about installing your Nexus Rom on a brand new M8S Pro L?

Thanks so much.

p.s. I am far from a newbie when it comes to firmwares but not an expert as well

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can definitely Install the update in TWRP or stock recovery. You used the word "restore", which has a specific meaning in TWRP related to backups. My update is a standard Android block-based OTA update (https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/) that's signed with the right platform key so that it passes signature verification. It's not a TWRP backup.

To install on a brand new box, you'd just launch the Update app and select the .zip file, check Wipe Data, and click Confirm.

Oh great so do you have by any chance TWRP alone for this device as recovery.img? And to install the update in TWRP you would just use "install" option?

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just pull it from the OTA update by opening the .zip file and extracting recovery.img. And yes, you can also install in TWRP by clicking Install, selecting source, then swipe to install.
                  Working...
                  X