Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWM Recovery with UBIFS Support For Amlogic Nextbook Tablets (Support Thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWM Recovery with UBIFS Support For Amlogic Nextbook Tablets (Support Thread)

This thread contains links to CWM Recovery with UBIFS support for Amlogic based Nextbook Tablets. These are built from CM10 source, with Amlogic and UBIFS support forked from the Github repos of Christian Troy and Librehat. Thanks to both of them for sharing their source code! I plan to publish my Nextbook changes, once I learn more about the use of Github.

I will be adding custom versions to this thread for additional tablet models as I get them compiled and packaged with the proper kernels, etc.

Please make sure you download the correct version for your device!

While some versions may work on other tablets, differences such as partition layouts that are hard coded into the kernel could cause a flash to fail and brick your tablet. Because of this, I can not support the use of a custom recovery on a device that it was not intended for.

These files will be named in the format: "model"-"board"-CWM.zip

Verify these entries in your stock build.prop before downloading: ro.product.model and ro.product.board

Installation:

1. Download the appropriate version for your device below
    2. Unzip the downloaded file
    3. Remove the uImage_recovery file and place it in the root level of your external SD Card
    4. Insert External SD Card in your device
    5. Power on device while holding volume-
    6. PERFORM A BACKUP!!! This will backup everything except your bootloader.

Download Thread:

CWM-Recovery-with-UBIFS-Support-For-Amlogic-Nextbook-Tablets
    Last edited by shaunmt; 02-05-2014, 08:04.
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Warning!

Do not confuse the Next8HD8G-NXM8000ND_WM with the Next8HD8G-NXM8000NBD_WMN

The NXM8000NBD_WMN models are the ones that bricked when they flashed files for the NXM8000ND_WM.

I'll release files for the NXM8000NBD_WMN models next.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

i will try it now with my nextbook trendy 8 (next800t) also called (EBM8000ND)

Comment

IT DID A PERFECT BACKUP FILE in next800t---i will use the restore option when i need

Comment

Originally posted by thebiggboss180 View Post
          IT DID A PERFECT BACKUP FILE in next800t---i will use the restore option when i need
          Good to know, but I do not recommend using the Next8HD8G version with the Next800T. I can not promise it would flash update files or restore correctly because it is using a different kernel and drivers.

There will be a Next800T version, with the Next800T kernel and drivers eventually.

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I also asked in the Stock ROM thread, but...

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
            Warning!

Do not confuse the Next8HD8G-NXM8000ND_WM with the Next8HD8G-NXM8000NBD_WMN

The NXM8000NBD_WMN models are the ones that bricked when they flashed files for the NXM8000ND_WM.

I'll release files for the NXM8000NBD_WMN models next.

ShaunMT
            How can we (especially those with bricked tablets) tell the difference between the WM and WMN models?

Comment

Originally posted by locuraconsigueusted View Post
              How can we (especially those with bricked tablets) tell the difference between the WM and WMN models?
              How can we tell the difference (especially if we are bricked)?
              The only way to tell is to check the stock build.prop.

If you currently have a bricked Next8HD8G, you most likely flashed a NXM8000ND_WM ROM on a NXM8000NBD_WMN board, considering that I have not yet released any NXM8000NBD_WMN ROMs.

All of the current ROMs for the Next8HD8G are for NXM8000ND_WM boards.

I'll be releasing new stock ROMs for both boards within the next week or so, along with CWM and Unbrick Kits, depends on how long testing takes, considering I don't own one with a NXM8000NBD_WMN board.

The new ROMs will automatically back up your current bootloaders, build.prop, and dmesg output before installing, so as long as people do nandroid backups in CWM before installing, they'll have all the parts necessary to create a proper stock ROM and unbrick kit if they screw up and install the wrong ROM on a tablet that doesn't already have files available.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

The only way to tell is to check the stock build.prop.

If you currently have a bricked Next8HD8G, you most likely flashed a NXM8000ND_WM ROM on a NXM8000NBD_WMN board, considering that I have not yet released any NXM8000NBD_WMN ROMs.

All of the current ROMs for the Next8HD8G are for NXM8000ND_WM boards.

I'll be releasing new stock ROMs for both boards within the next week or so, along with CWM and Unbrick Kits, depends on how long testing takes, considering I don't own one with a NXM8000NBD_WMN board.

The new ROMs will automatically back up your current bootloaders, build.prop, and dmesg output before installing, so as long as people do nandroid backups in CWM before installing, they'll have all the parts necessary to create a proper stock ROM and unbrick kit if they screw up and install the wrong ROM on a tablet that doesn't already have files available.

ShaunMT
                Actually, I bricked it myself, doing too many file operations at once Thanks for the fast reply. Could I just try to boot CWM, seeing as it would probably be harmless?

EDIT: I attempted to boot CWM, and it only got as far as the hat icon and CWM-based Recovery v6.0.2.8 in the corner. Does this mean I have a WMN build?

Comment

Actually, I bricked it myself, doing too many file operations at once Thanks for the fast reply. Could I just try to boot CWM, seeing as it would probably be harmless?
                  Won't hurt to try, but If you can't currently boot recovery from SD card, then your bootloader is screwed and CWM isn't going to boot any differently than the modified 3e recovery did.

If that is the case, you're going to require an unbrick kit. When the unbrick kits are released, you'll just have to try both. One will boot your tablet and the other won't.

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Won't hurt to try, but If you can't currently boot recovery from SD card, then your bootloader is screwed and CWM isn't going to boot any differently than the modified 3e recovery did.

If that is the case, you're going to require an unbrick kit. When the unbrick kits are released, you'll just have to try both. One will boot your tablet and the other won't.

ShaunMT
                    I attempted to boot CWM, and it only got as far as the hat icon and CWM-based Recovery v6.0.2.8 in the corner. This rules out a broken bootloader, which I hadn't suspected anyway, as what I did was modify the system partition. Does this mean I have a WMN build? Is there any other way to fix it? I do not have adb access.

Comment

I attempted to boot CWM, and it only got as far as the hat icon and CWM-based Recovery v6.0.2.8 in the corner. This rules out a broken bootloader, which I hadn't suspected anyway, as what I did was modify the system partition. Does this mean I have a WMN build? Is there any other way to fix it? I do not have adb access.
                      Man, I can't even guess... I would actually expect this CWM to boot on either model, but it might brick a WMN if you used it to flash a ROM.

You wouldn't have gotten that far with a bad bootloader, but I don't know why it would hang when it started both kernel and recovery from SD card...

Maybe it failed to mount internal partitions or something?

You might have better luck with the unbrick kits. They will force the processor to boot ENTIRELY from external SD and prep the tablet for a fresh install of everything. Basically, on Amlogic hardware, if an unbrick doesn't work, the hardware has to be damaged.

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Maybe it's the SD Card?

Man, I can't even guess... I would actually expect this CWM to boot on either model, but it might brick a WMN if you used it to flash a ROM.

You wouldn't have gotten that far with a bad bootloader, but I don't know why it would hang when it started both kernel and recovery from SD card...

Maybe it failed to mount internal partitions or something?

You might have better luck with the unbrick kits. They will force the processor to boot ENTIRELY from external SD and prep the tablet for a fresh install of everything. Basically, on Amlogic hardware, if an unbrick doesn't work, the hardware has to be damaged.

ShaunMT
                        Is it possible that the SD Card is slow or damaged? I can't see why it would load that far and THEN hang, but... I'll try formatting the SD Card and checking the sectors and all that fun stuff... Thanks for the help

Comment

Is it possible that the SD Card is slow or damaged? I can't see why it would load that far and THEN hang, but... I'll try formatting the SD Card and checking the sectors and all that fun stuff... Thanks for the help
                          Yes, that's possible... could be a bad download, bad copy to the card, or the card could be corrupted or have bad blocks...

Reformat the card, redownload the recovery and try again.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hmmm

Yes, that's possible... could be a bad download, bad copy to the card, or the card could be corrupted or have bad blocks...

Reformat the card, redownload the recovery and try again.

ShaunMT
                            I'll do that. I'm about to make it even more confusing. I tried to boot to recovery again using the same download and all that, and it didn't even get to the CWM Logo screen. Just black. If I recopy the file to the SD Card, it makes it to that screen again...

Comment

I'll do that. I'm about to make it even more confusing. I tried to boot to recovery again using the same download and all that, and it didn't even get to the CWM Logo screen. Just black. If I recopy the file to the SD Card, it makes it to that screen again...
                              I'd guess that's hardware failure of some sort... hope it's the SD card and not the tablet... got another SD card to try?

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                              X