General AML S802 Device release discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddragon72 View Post
    I just want to step in here really quick.

Seems that there is still some confusion with the whole Dolby and DTS decoding thing pass through thing.

The S802 chip does not have hardware decoding. It requires the software to do it's part. As for pass through this is not an issue and is actually being thought of completely wrong which I will cover in the last part.

The S802-H(S802DD) does hardware decoding. This does not require the software to do anything with the audio tracks. It does however require that the software know how to pass off the decoding to the hardware. These chips are not yet on the market. I want to also point out that hardware decoding is not a special magical thing. For these chips the "hardware" decoding will simply be a small portion of the CPU to use the built in decoder firmware to perform the actual decoding. Less CPU overhead and all that comes with it. However there will be restrictions on this and if your AC3 and DTS soundtracks are not within the codec restrictions it will not be hardware decoded.

Now for the pass through dilemma.
    Both chips do pass through. The only differences here are the current market chip, S802, cannot do hardware decoding so the software must step up to the plate.

So when you ask about pass through and decoding please remember that they are two totally different things and are independent of each other.

On a side note Netflix requires Android 4.3 and above for HD due to it's built in DRM. I am not sure that these ROMS have the required DRM files as it has to be done with a Google signature thing. Considering that they have issues with the play store it wouldn't surprise me that they goofed that up as well or simply left it out. Aslo for Netflix HD to work you must have a consistent 1.75m inbound bandwidth signal. If you have that then you should be ok to get HD if the rom has the right DRM parts.
    Thanks for this valuable information.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by reddragon72 View Post
      I just want to step in here really quick.

Seems that there is still some confusion with the whole Dolby and DTS decoding thing pass through thing.

The S802 chip does not have hardware decoding. It requires the software to do it's part. As for pass through this is not an issue and is actually being thought of completely wrong which I will cover in the last part.

The S802-H(S802DD) does hardware decoding. This does not require the software to do anything with the audio tracks. It does however require that the software know how to pass off the decoding to the hardware. These chips are not yet on the market. I want to also point out that hardware decoding is not a special magical thing. For these chips the "hardware" decoding will simply be a small portion of the CPU to use the built in decoder firmware to perform the actual decoding. Less CPU overhead and all that comes with it. However there will be restrictions on this and if your AC3 and DTS soundtracks are not within the codec restrictions it will not be hardware decoded.

Now for the pass through dilemma.
      Both chips do pass through. The only differences here are the current market chip, S802, cannot do hardware decoding so the software must step up to the plate.

So when you ask about pass through and decoding please remember that they are two totally different things and are independent of each other.

On a side note Netflix requires Android 4.3 and above for HD due to it's built in DRM. I am not sure that these ROMS have the required DRM files as it has to be done with a Google signature thing. Considering that they have issues with the play store it wouldn't surprise me that they goofed that up as well or simply left it out. Aslo for Netflix HD to work you must have a consistent 1.75m inbound bandwidth signal. If you have that then you should be ok to get HD if the rom has the right DRM parts.
      what is the main benefit of hardware decoding audio signals if the software can do the job just fine? Everyone is so concerned about this H chip but i have no problem playing 1080P videos in surround sound and it is in sync. Obviously, hardware decoding is essential for video but audio is a different story unless im missing something?

Comment

Re: General AML S802 Device release discussions

Originally posted by rlaursen View Post
        what is the main benefit of hardware decoding audio signals if the software can do the job just fine? Everyone is so concerned about this H chip but i have no problem playing 1080P videos in surround sound and it is in sync. Obviously, hardware decoding is essential for video but audio is a different story unless im missing something?
        Not every application supports it like xbmc does, this would allow users without any DTS/DD decoding hardware (like an AVR) to have audio work. Passthrough works which is great but it's only passing through the audio not decoding it - that is done by your AVR. If you don't have an AVR then you need software/hardware to decode and then convert to 2.0 PCM

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Comment

Originally posted by noderat View Post
          Can you enable debugging in xbmc, enable verbose for audio and ffmpeg and post xbmc.log while playing videos in AMLogic decoder. Also can you send me dmesg I'm interested to see what's causing your decoder to not work.

Hello it's true, the decoder can't work because of the security level. We are launching the X8 with the S802-H and we've managed to make 4K HW decode working @ XBMC right now, so users don't have to root. We're still working hard to make it better
          Click image for larger version

Name:	4K.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	433601

Comment

Originally posted by kenofstephen View Post
            Hello it's true, the decoder can't work because of the security level. We are launching the X8 with the S802-H and we've managed to make 4K HW decode working @ XBMC right now, so users don't have to root. We're still working hard to make it better
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6308[/ATTACH]
            Impressive. Excited to see the results.

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6308[/ATTACH]
              I'm excited hope it would be also priced reasonably

JustMe
              Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

New firmware that wa sjust released can anyone confirm that the m8 wifi signal has become better and in a more stable and stronger signal?

JustMe

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

JustMe

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                  New firmware that wa sjust released can anyone confirm that the m8 wifi signal has become better and in a more stable and stronger signal?

JustMe
                  dude, hardware weaknesses can never be improved through software...
                  make a hardware mod, drill a hole and put an antenna on it.

Comment

dude, hardware weaknesses can never be improved through software...
                    make a hardware mod, drill a hole and put an antenna on it.
                    Yeah that's what I did with my ouya the 8gb rom revision had the solder terminals there for ULF RF Coxaial connector all I did was solder the connector and and turned the resistor to face towards it and added external antenna it boosted the wifi a great deal.

Eric can you confirm your stock has small hardware mods that Shenhzen Tomato are mentioning they have done to their units.for wifi wows

also noderat that box looks awesome from Shenzhen Tomato with the wave effect but min 500 pcs order for them to make it

JustMe
                    Last edited by JustMe; 04-24-2014, 08:39.

JustMe

Comment

Yeah that's what I did with my ouya the 8gb rom revision had the solder terminals there for ULF RF Coxaial connector all I did was solder the connector and and turned the resistor to face towards it and added external antenna it boosted the wifi a great deal.

Eric can you confirm your stock has small hardware mods that Shenhzen Tomato are mentioning they have done to their units.for wifi wows

also noderat that box looks awesome from Shenzhen Tomato with the wave effect but min 500 pcs order for them to make it

JustMe
                      Yeah, sometimes I'll do 50+ but never 500

Comment

JustMe
                        I guess all those boxes are using same motherboard than this model:

I'd NOT recommend choosing this over the Beelink M8 or similar.

I'm going to compare both boxes and believe me, this hardware is "the cheapest version" of the Beelink M8...
                        Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

Comment

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post

I'm going to compare both boxes and believe me, this hardware is "the cheapest version" of the Beelink M8...

Sorry little confused? with your last 2 statements

JustMe

Comment

These boxes:

I think they mount same motherboard (99.99% sure)

That motherboard is not as good as Beelink M8 (and other products based in same board).

Let me some days... I'll show why
                            Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

Comment

These boxes:

I think they mount same motherboard (99.99% sure)

That motherboard is not as good as Beelink M8 (and other products based in same board).

Let me some days... I'll show why
                              I look forward to it, because I cannot see the difference apart from the bootloader chips and the m8 Is harder to get at the moment due to stock. but then again who am I to judge I don't even own any of them at the moment

JustMe

JustMe

Comment

And what about tronsmar vega s89? It is good?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X