This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scropion86 View Post
    very good idea to flip it it never come to my mind .
    now i know what i want , only thermal pads and flip it over
    i will try that when i got the pads

I flipped an unmodified unit over and placed it on an angle (chimney effect to increase air flow). Running Hulu under Chrome, with 20C room temperature, the core temperature is alway less then 13C from TjMax (about 55% processor utilization). Running the unit "un-fipped", it would overheat in about 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by fortran View Post
      I flipped an unmodified unit over and placed it on an angle (chimney effect to increase air flow). Running Hulu under Chrome, with 20C room temperature, the core temperature is alway less then 13C from TjMax (about 55% processor utilization). Running the unit "un-fipped", it would overheat in about 20 minutes.
      i just Googled it and that's what i found about chimney effect

In principle, a chimney stack is a tall pipe. Hot gas, from combustion, enters the chimney and rises to the top. The chimney is sealed against the furnace/fireplace and the only way for fresh air to get in is on the draft side of the fire. The rising air in the chimney stack creates a vacuum and air is pushed in, by the ambient pressure, into the system.

is that means i should make the device stand vertically on it's side ??

i really love this community in FreakTab

Comment

Originally posted by scropion86 View Post
        i just Googled it and that's what i found about chimney effect

In principle, a chimney stack is a tall pipe. Hot gas, from combustion, enters the chimney and rises to the top. The chimney is sealed against the furnace/fireplace and the only way for fresh air to get in is on the draft side of the fire. The rising air in the chimney stack creates a vacuum and air is pushed in, by the ambient pressure, into the system.

is that means i should make the device stand vertically on it's side ??

i really love this community in FreakTab

As not to block the side ventilation slits, I have the unit leaning at about 75 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by strix View Post
          I had the same issu like you do, same board 1.3
          I put this on Thermal pad XT 1mm, 7W/mk (120x20mm) Phobya

http://www.****.co.uk/itm/Phobya-The...-/331498394896

Now I have 52 C at full load for 30min
          So all you changed was the thermal pad on the processor and you dropped to 52 degrees? I did the same thing + heatsinks and I'm still pushing 70 degrees...

Comment

Originally posted by smokie171 View Post
            You're on the right track. You did like me and ordered prior to receiving the Pipo. I ordered the same heatsinks from ****. They are about 2mm to tall but will work, they are in mine currently. I have since ordered another set of heatsinks with dimensions of 25x25x12 mm so that they fit a little better. Good luck, Kevin
            hi friend,
            what is the model thermal pad you used in your mod,
            can you share link with us,
            thank you very much

Comment

I've modded my Pipo X7 with a 5mm thick CPU VGA heatsink silcone paste thermal pad, placed on the underside of the motherboard, placed 8 14*14* 6mm aluminum heat sinks on the CPU (I removed stock cooler pad), placed on top of the metal cover. Streaming a 1080 movie on Kodi over 1 hour and unit is running way cooler.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes that was all I did. The original therminal pad is a joke.

Originally posted by stevenjohns View Post
                So all you changed was the thermal pad on the processor and you dropped to 52 degrees? I did the same thing + heatsinks and I'm still pushing 70 degrees...

Comment

http://www.****.co.uk/itm/Phobya-The...-/331498394896

use this

Originally posted by Vinchenzo View Post
                  hi friend,
                  thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman55 View Post
                    I've modded my Pipo X7 with a 5mm thick CPU VGA heatsink silcone paste thermal pad, placed on the underside of the motherboard, placed 8 14*14* 6mm aluminum heat sinks on the CPU (I removed stock cooler pad), placed on top of the metal cover. Streaming a 1080 movie on Kodi over 1 hour and unit is running way cooler.

http://www.****.co.uk/itm/251735856827

http://www.****.co.uk/itm/111341699657
                    Last edited by fisherman55; 03-12-2015, 21:37. Reason: update

Comment

hi friend,
                      thank you very much
                      I can't get the link to work. I would use the 100x100x5 mm, 5w/mk, blue pad posted by Loko yesterday. I don't believe my pad is a very good one because they do not display what w/mk the pad is. As a matter of fact I will be upgrading my pad to this one. Good luck my friend.
                      Kevin

Comment

Hi everyone,
                        it's there anyone who already order this thermal pad
                        http://www.****.com/itm/EC-360-BLUE-...68&mfe=sidebar
                        and like me will not use more then 30mm*50mm
                        Scooby-Doo post 126,

and it's agree to sell what are it's left from the thermal pad!
                        Don't understand me wrong I just want save money,
                        because I'm pretty sure there is no one here,who are thinking,
                        will have to mod his box and gave maybe 1/2 from the real price of the box!
                        I hope you understand me what I wanted to tell,because my English it's very bad!
                        Thank you
                        I would use the blue pad you were asking about.
                        Kevin

Comment

Finally, I got good thermal results.

I bougth 1 mm pad: http://www.****.de/itm/121159893475

Pictures of thermal pad, heatsinks 12 mm and 15 mm

Click image for larger version

Name:	pads.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	437352Click image for larger version

Name:	disipador 15mm - copia.jpg
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	437353

For the box cover downside, instead this pad mix Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-05 20.08.02.jpg
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	437354 I put 5 pad pieces of 1 mm pad, that was very useful.

Now, only extrem stress* goes up to 70º, normally 50º-60º on heavy load.

* Play youtube 1080/60 video with chrome.

Here, a imageshot running Prime95 stress test:

And here another cap comparing Netflix running with chrome and IE, the higher are chrome, the lower are IE:

Comment

Originally posted by Vestiaz View Post
                            Finally, I got good thermal results.

I bougth 1 mm pad: http://www.****.de/itm/121159893475

Pictures of thermal pad, heatsinks 12 mm and 15 mm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10693[/ATTACH]

For the box cover downside, instead this pad mix [ATTACH=CONFIG]10694[/ATTACH] I put 5 pad pieces of 1 mm pad, that was very useful.

Now, only extrem stress* goes up to 70º, normally 50º-60º on heavy load.

* Play youtube 1080/60 video with chrome.

Here, a imageshot running Prime95 stress test:

And here another cap comparing Netflix running with chrome and IE, the higher are chrome, the lower are IE:

I am glad to hear about your improved performance. By using a 100x100x5 mm thermal pad on the bottom, I believe the temp should drop by another 15-20 degrees Celsius . Good luck. Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
                              There are some tiny holes on the metal plate, so you cannot use Arctic Silver 5, because it may enter the holes and short some circuits underneath. The chances of this happening are close to zero, but better be on the safe side.
                              Make sure that the heat sink cannot slip out of its place, because it will short some circuits and fry your device.
                              I'm not sure if I did a right thing by buying a Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive to connect heatsink with metal plate. On official webpage it says:
                              "It is NOT intended to be used between a CPU and the CPU heatsink. On a CPU please use a thermal compound such as Arctic Silver 5, "
                              What do You guys think?
                              I've also read opinion that removing a metal plate can be difficult and it's better not to do so unless it's required.
                              But than again isn't it more risky applying thermal adhesive on metal plate without removing it first? I mean this can result of getting thermal adhesive inside metal plate via the holes as you don't have any control.
                              In my opinion it is more reasonable to firstly remove the metal plate, stick heatsink and than remove overdosed Thermal Adhesive.
                              Can You please guys advice how to remove metal plate? Can I do it with just fingers (pushing in specific direction) or do I have to use specific tool?

Thanks in advance.
                              Michal

Comment

I just took the plate off with my hand

Comment

Working...
                                X