Nexbook AMlogic root WORK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexbook AMlogic root WORK!

While Googling tonight I stumbled upon an update procedure that is intended to root an AMLogic based Smart TV device (Bluetimes M1). The author states that it "should work on other devices with Amlogic chipsets, but they are not tested."

I tried to attach the update file to my post here but it is, apparently, too large, even though it is barely 1MB in size. I opened the zip file on my Windows laptop and looked around. It seems to me like all it does is install SU and the Superuser.apk, but I would l would like another opinion before risking my tablet. If true, this could give us root capability, allowing us to dump firmware images.

Any opinions?

Is there is someone out there who is less risk averse than me who wants to go for it? If so, be sure to report your findings here.
    Last edited by eegorr; 12-15-2012, 19:12.
    Nextbook Premium 8 SE (Next8P12) - * ROOTED * (Sold on ****)
    AML8726-M3 Cortex A9 @ 1GHz

Nextbook Premium 8 HD (N0008HD8G) - * ROOTED *

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) - STOCK (unfortunately)

WAIT! New Nexbook AMlogic root idea!

OK so AMlogic always updates via SDcard .zip file.

I think I just figured out in my head how to give you guys root.

I make a simple update.zip that pushes SU and Superuser. NOTHING ELSE.

Will it work? I bet it might. Will it brick you? Maybe....... But I have high confidence it will not.

Give me a day or two to make this package and test it on my own AMlogic tab I have a stock ROM for.

I think I have a solution...

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

eegor! THIS IS EXACTLY what I was thinking to do JUST THIS MOMENT!

See my post here:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ogic-root-idea!

Give me the link the the thing your talking about and let me look at it.

SHIT... we may have come up with the same idea at the same time!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        eegor! THIS IS EXACTLY what I was thinking to do JUST THIS MOMENT!

See my post here:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ogic-root-idea!

Give me the link the the thing your talking about and let me look at it.

SHIT... we may have come up with the same idea at the same time!

Bob
        I got fancy with the links but they are not showing up in my post - mouse over the words "update procedure" and "update file" and you will find the links.

If you think it looks legit, I will try it right now!

EDIT: Give me an idea what I have to do to get my tab to read the update, too. Do I just download the zip file to the root of the external SD card and reboot, or what?

EDIT 2: When you get a chance, try to figure out why hyperlinks aren't showing up in the message text anymore. I've noticed you have been messing around with the site formatting a lot lately, maybe you turned something off by accident!
        Last edited by eegorr; 12-14-2012, 07:27.

Comment

Genius! Fooling the system, great idea! I hope it works

Could it really be something that simple?

Comment

I just tested and hyper links work

Just cut and paste the link into any post.

Bob

Comment

I just tested and hyper links work

Just cut and paste the link into any post.

Bob
              The links are there and they work fine. The problem is that the link text is not highlighted in any way. The text should be blue or red or something to indicate that it is a link. I am referring to embedded links created in the following way:

[ U R L = url] link text [ / U R L ]

Did you find the links and look at the procedure and update file I linked to? Mouse over the phrases I mentioned in my previous post and the link text will be highlighted, but it should look like that even when not pointed to.

Do you know how to get this tablet to read the update.zip file? Does it have to be named in a certain way?

Comment

OK so AMlogic always updates via SDcard .zip file.

I think I just figured out in my head how to give you guys root.

I make a simple update.zip that pushes SU and Superuser. NOTHING ELSE.

Will it work? I bet it might. Will it brick you? Maybe....... But I have high confidence it will not.

Give me a day or two to make this package and test it on my own AMlogic tab I have a stock ROM for.

I think I have a solution...

Bob
                Excellent! I've been doing random attempts at using the "upgrade" function on the tablet and various zip files (mostly various Gapps or Market / Play Store packages) but can't get past the signature verification on the recovery. It's fun to mess around with, but I haven't dug too deep for risk of bricking without a way to flash back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by eegorr View Post
                  The links are there and they work fine. The problem is that the link text is not highlighted in any way. The text should be blue or red or something to indicate that it is a link. I am referring to embedded links created in the following way:

[ U R L = url] link text [ / U R L ]

Did you find the links and look at the procedure and update file I linked to? Mouse over the phrases I mentioned in my previous post and the link text will be highlighted, but it should look like that even when not pointed to.

Do you know how to get this tablet to read the update.zip file? Does it have to be named in a certain way?
                  Based on my time putzing around with the tablet you can put any .zip file in the SD card directory and then run the "Update" app included with the stock image. Choose the "Local" option and it'll show a list of .zip files, choose the one you want and it'll go through a process and reboot into recovery to finish the install. Every zip file I've tried to run through it (Gapps packages, market / play store, etc) makes it to that point but fails at the "whole-file signature verification". I'll be out late tonight, but if there's a flash available that might work I'm more than willing to experiment, as I already have a Nexus 7 tablet and was going to give this Nextbook 8se tablet to my son for Christmas.

Comment

You bought it in person at an electronics market in Shenzhen?
                    Answer: YES
                    How much did you pay for it?
                    Answer: 750 Yuan (120$)
                    Maybe you have a model that is not for sale in the US.
                    Answer: May be (its possible)
                    Are you in Dubai?
                    Answer: YES

Comment

Hey, I was just looking around some more and found something you might be interested in. Have you tried loading this ROM yet? It is for a NEXT10P12, so it should work properly with your display resolution.
                      No, I didn't tried this yet... just downloading right now, after the flash I'll post the result...
                      thanks for the link...

EDIT: Now I did flash this ROM, the result is, when the tab boot, its show white screen for 3 seconds then power it off... so i guess this is not a correct ROM for my Next8P12 now I'm flashed back on Nextbook8SE Finless 1.2 Root and GPlay... (has display resolution issue)
                      Last edited by asaddotcom; 12-14-2012, 18:36.

Comment

Bob and I came up with the same idea at almost exactly the same time last night, only he thought of it on his own and I found something similar while Googling for a solution to our predicament.

While searching I stumbled upon an update procedure that is intended to root an AMLogic based Smart TV device (Bluetimes M1). The author states that it "should work on other devices with Amlogic chipsets, but they are not tested."

I tried to attach the update file to my post but it is too large, even though it is barely 1MB in size. I opened the zip file on my Windows laptop and looked around. It seems to me like all it does is install SU and the Superuser.apk, but I would l would like another opinion before risking my tablet. If true, this could give us root capability, allowing us to dump firmware images.

This is my post on another thread, and this is Bob's reply.

BTW, I have been trying to load this update myself but I can't seem to get my tablet to recognize it. Does anyone know the procedure for forcing an update on these tablets? if so, please reply here.

Feel free to try it yourself, or we can wait for Bob to come up with one for us. Of course, the usual disclaimers apply here - I am not responsible if you brick your tab trying this!

Comment

Originally posted by ozymandiaz View Post
                          Excellent! I've been doing random attempts at using the "upgrade" function on the tablet and various zip files (mostly various Gapps or Market / Play Store packages) but can't get past the signature verification on the recovery. It's fun to mess around with, but I haven't dug too deep for risk of bricking without a way to flash back to stock.
                          What is the procedure for getting the tablet to see the update.zip file? Does the file have to be named something in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by verucalise View Post
                            Genius! Fooling the system, great idea! I hope it works

Could it really be something that simple?
                            It's not really fooling anything, but it is a clever idea. It is a targeted update, like a patch, that only adds a few files, but since it is running as root it can do anything it wants to do. Once SU is installed by the update, we just execute it to get root then dump the ROM image files so Bob can cook us up a new ROM.

As a side benefit we could root the tablet permanently by changing some permissions (as superuser) which should allow us to get rid of some of the bloatware and install Google Play. If you are happy with that, it is as far as you need to go, I think.

Comment

What is the procedure for getting the tablet to see the update.zip file? Does the file have to be named something in particular?
                              I listed it out in the other thread (Nextbook ROMs), but basically you put the signed .zip file (EDIT: No need for a specific file name as far as I can tell, the Upgrade tool has recognized every zip file I've tried including some I named simply "Gapps.zip") on the root of the SD card directory and then open up the apps drawer and run the "Upgrade" tool. Choose the option for "Local Upgrade" as opposed to "Network upgrade" and it'll give you a list of zip files. Choose the one you want, it'll then reboot into recovery and go through the install process. Everything I've tried via that method has resulted in a "Whole file signature verification failed" error, but that was for items like Google Apps or the Market / Play store. This zip containing the SU binary / apk may or may not fail at the same signature verification (I don't have the tablet with me so I can't check until late tonight).

Comment

Working...
                              X