Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've installed the ADB driver correctly then it should be quite easy to root the M9. Most people having trouble is in the ADB driver installation step. Here's a quick steps:
    1. Download the root tool from http://www.putlocker.com/file/A755C9FA1CD8420E and extract it somewhere. This is my fixed version of the original Vondroid batch file which will install SuperSU correctly. You will see the file TPSparkyRoot.bat inside the RK3188_ROOT folder. You will need to run this later on step 4.
    2. Turn USB debugging ON in Settings -> Developer Options of the tablet
    3. Connect the USB cable to the USB port on the M9 and the other end to the PC
    4. Run the TPSparkyRoot.bat and follow the instructions. The tablet will reboot several times during the process.

Comment

Wish list for PiPo ROM's

The instructions for installing official firmware and Freaktab custom ROMs are different. They use different tools to flash.

The readme file within the RileyROM kit is very detailed. Have you seen that one? If you have problems after following those directions...give me specifics. The drivers for the flash kit are inside the ROM zip.

I'm sure there might be ways to root without flashing a new ROM, but I have never done it, myself. It is easier to just flash a custom ROM.

Randy
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Thank you for your reply. This is one of the methods I tried. Although the ADB driver finds the tablet, the .bat file produces the following in the Windows cmd module, and nothing happens in the tablet:

*---* VonDroid.com N101 II Root Tool based on work by sunnydavid *---*
        --- Plug in your device, make sure debugging is enabled in Developer Options
        --- This script will now copy files over to your N101 II

'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
        operable program or batch file.
        --- Reboot 1/3 - Press Space Bar once the device has rebooted
        Press any key to continue . . .

I double checked that USB debugging is ON, once connected to the USB port, Windows recognizes the device as an 'Android Composite ADB Interface' under Android Phone. I then start up the .bat executable as Administrator, but nothing happens...
        I would really like to get this method working, as I am happy with this ROM version, there are none of the issues so far with Wi-Fi disconnects or other anomalies - but I do want to flash CWM Recovery and be able to use all the apps that require Root, such as Titanium backup...
        It must be something simple that I am overlooking - I was able to root my smartphone with a one-click app with no problems a couple of years back when I was a complete noob to Android. Since then I have flashed many different ROMs and kernels and even managed to recover from partial bricks on my Samsung Galaxy Ace - I can't believe that this is so much more complicated .
        Can you or anyone suggest what might be the issue here please?

Originally posted by spectra9 View Post
        If you've installed the ADB driver correctly then it should be quite easy to root the M9. Most people having trouble is in the ADB driver installation step. Here's a quick steps:
        1. Download the root tool from http://www.putlocker.com/file/A755C9FA1CD8420E and extract it somewhere. This is my fixed version of the original Vondroid batch file which will install SuperSU correctly. You will see the file TPSparkyRoot.bat inside the RK3188_ROOT folder. You will need to run this later on step 4.
        2. Turn USB debugging ON in Settings -> Developer Options of the tablet
        3. Connect the USB cable to the USB port on the M9 and the other end to the PC
        4. Run the TPSparkyRoot.bat and follow the instructions. The tablet will reboot several times during the process.

Comment

Do you have ADB files installed in path, or do you have adb.exe, fastboot.exe, AdbWinAapi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll - in your directory? if not, I suggest you copy them there. If you don't have them at all - install Android SDK or find a slimmed-down version with just ADB.

Sent from my M8 pro using Tapatalk HD
          Support your local flasher
          Current devices : Pipo MAX M8 Pro - Samsung Galaxy S4 - Intel NUC

Comment

Thank you Randy. I did read the instructions, but I now realize that I became confused amid the plethora of other information I had already read . I don't have access to a printer, and I had to read this all on my laptop, which is far from ideal, given that I am also trying to carry out the flashing operation on the same screen and on the same system - otherwise it would mean going through the whole process of installing the drivers on my other laptop, which is my XBMC server, so far from ideal.

There are versions of instructions for using the same software for flashing littered about the Internet that do not include the same steps as yours, and obviously they do not work . So if I am unable to use the above method kindly provided by Spectra9 (which I would prefer, rather than having to flash another ROM, for the reasons I already mentioned), I will do my best to follow your instructions to the letter and see whether I can be successful in this endeavour to get my device rooted and CWM flashed.
            Thank you for your attention to detail - incidentally, btw I also had a problem with my anti-virus software not permitting the flashing software to be extracted from the .zip file - I have to check and see whether any other files were ommitted at the same time - I was really tired when I finally got around to that, and that is a good way of making mistakes. It might be useful to add this to your tutorial, as the antivirus did not even notify me that these files were being blocked, it was winrar complaining that adverted me, otherwise I would not have known.

Thank you for your patience.

David
            Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            The instructions for installing official firmware and Freaktab custom ROMs are different. They use different tools to flash.

The readme file within the RileyROM kit is very detailed. Have you seen that one? If you have problems after following those directions...give me specifics. The drivers for the flash kit are inside the ROM zip.

I'm sure there might be ways to root without flashing a new ROM, but I have never done it, myself. It is easier to just flash a custom ROM.

Randy

Comment

Hello Proxzen, thank you for your reply - not sure I understand, which path are you talking about? I used Moborobo to install the ADB drivers, then managed to get Windows to also install the USB drivers which recognize the device when USB debugging is OFF. But right now USB debugging is ON, so as I said above, the ADB drivers now recognize the device as an 'Android Composite ADB Interface' under Android Phone, and the actual drivers that appear in my Device Manager are:

winusb.sys
              WdfCoinstaller01009.dll
              WinUSBCoinstaller2.dll

I could not find an actual ADB directory anywhere in Program Files.

David

Originally posted by pr0xZen View Post
              Do you have ADB files installed in path, or do you have adb.exe, fastboot.exe, AdbWinAapi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll - in your directory? if not, I suggest you copy them there. If you don't have them at all - install Android SDK or find a slimmed-down version with just ADB.

Sent from my M8 pro using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Then you need to download the actual adb program. Either search for a slimmed-down version with just adb, or install Android SDK.

Sent from my M8 pro using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

OK Randy, I just tried the first few steps of your instructions....there is already a problem.
                  My Pipo M9 is connected via USB to the laptop with the USB debugging set to OFF. My device is recognized by the system as Rockchip_usb USB device on Port 2.
                  I started up the flash software, and it shows Found RKAndroid Mass Storage USB. Then I pressed the Reboot2Flash button and I get an error message: Device cannot do FlashMode, because of no drive.
                  So then I thought maybe my internal drive needed to be connected via USB, so I tried that via the drop-down menu, but still nothing - what am I doing wrong?

Comment

I'm afraid that in your attempts to install drivers for many different flash methods, you might have a driver conflict. I have seen that error before...and each time it was either a driver issue...or simply that I didn't have a good USB connection.

Try connecting your device as a mass storage and look and see if you can view the files on it in Windows explorer. Then, eject the device and close out the USB connection from the tablet. With it still connected try and see if you can reboot to flash mode from the flash tool.

Otherwise, you will need to follow the convoluted way to get into flash mode manually.

If there is a reset hole on the back of the device (I haven't seen an M9 in person to know for sure), I can tell you how to manually get in to flash mode....it's kind of a pain to do.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                    Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by DSCB57 View Post

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe try this, run the batch file in a command window instead of double clicking on it in Windows Explorer. Just run cmd.exe, change the folder to where the TPSparkyRoot.bat file is located and run it from there. If you're using Windows 8 you can just navigate to the folder via Windows Explorer and then type "cmd" in the address bar and press Enter.

Originally posted by DSCB57 View Post
                      OK Randy, I just tried the first few steps of your instructions....there is already a problem.
                      My Pipo M9 is connected via USB to the laptop with the USB debugging set to OFF. My device is recognized by the system as Rockchip_usb USB device on Port 2.
                      I started up the flash software, and it shows Found RKAndroid Mass Storage USB. Then I pressed the Reboot2Flash button and I get an error message: Device cannot do FlashMode, because of no drive.
                      So then I thought maybe my internal drive needed to be connected via USB, so I tried that via the drop-down menu, but still nothing - what am I doing wrong?
                      The easiest method I've found to get the M9 into flash mode is this:
                      1. Turn off the tablet
                      2. Connect the USB cable
                      3. Start the flash tool, in this case, RKAndroidTool.exe.
                      4. Press and hold the ESC button on the tablet and then while still holding the button down, press the Power button
                      5. The tablet should enter flash mode immediately and you can release both buttons. In RKAndroidTool you should see the status changed to "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb". In RKBatchTool, you should see the box turn green.

Hope that helps.

Comment

*Multi post*

Whoaa what happened? Pardon the multiple posts. One moment you can't see the post and the next you have 6 of them LOL.
                        Last edited by spectra9; 06-26-2013, 20:01. Reason: *Multi post*

Comment

Wow. Hepta-post ^^

Sent from my M8 pro using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Hi Randy, my wish is having a multi user option or a ROM where 3 or 4 accounts are predefined and users can delete what they dont want to use. I share the M8Pro3G with wife, kids and in the future from time to time perhaps guests. And, you know the Golden Rule of Computing: Never ever let your wife be the admin! http://www.freaktab.com/images/smilies/wink.png Or was this the Golden Rule of Marriage? http://www.freaktab.com/images/smilies/thinking.gif You probably know what I mean. So multi user is almost a must have. Thanks for all your work! It's the reason, why I decided for a Pipo.

Comment

I was reading something about that about a month ago...and I've slept since then. I'll have to do some research and see what it entails. I know it is possible.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Well, you should sleep, too.

That's great. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X