Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amlogic Next8HD8G (NX008HD8G) Modified Recovery - Stock Rom & Flashable Root

These files are for the Amlogic Nextbook Next8HD8G (NX008HD8G).

WARNING: These files are reported as not working on Next8HD8G tablets manufactured after August 2013. Check your serial number. If it begins YFG1013... YFG1113... or higher, do not use these files. You may try to root using Cydia Impactor instead. If you do root one of the newer tablets, please dump the ROM for the rest of us!

Here is what you get:

Modified Stock 3e Recovery:

This is the stock recovery, dumped from the device, unpacked, modified to use Google Test Keys instead of Private Nextbook Keys and then repackaged for your enjoyment.

Unzip and place the uImage_recovery file on your external SD Card. Reboot to recovery by holding Volume and Power. You won't notice any visual changes, but you can attempt to flash any .zip signed with Google Test Keys.

Your mileage may vary. If something won't flash there is a compatibility problem between the updater-binary or updater-script and our kernel/recovery.

Stock Rom:

This is a close as I could get to a flashable stock rom.

This contains a stock bootloader.img, boot.img, uImage_recovery, logo.img, and aml_logo.img dumped from the device. The system partition was also dumped from the device. I believe all of the Nextbook bloatware is here, with nothing added and NO ROOT. Everything has been packaged into an update.zip and signed with Google Test Keys. This WILL reformat System, Data and Cache. Backup any critical data before flashing.

Place the update.zip on external SD Card and flash using the modified recovery above.

Stock Internal SD Card:

This is just a .zip containing the stock files from the SD Card. It includes the .pdf manuals, intro video, free public domain e-books, demo photos, etc... If you deleted this stuff and wanted it back, just unzip and copy the desired files to your internal SD Card.

Root Package:

This is a flashable .zip that installs the su binary and has been signed with Google Test Keys.

Put it on your external SD Card and flash it using the modified recovery above. Then install your preference of Superuser.apk or SuperSu.apk from the Google Play store or elsewhere.

ROM Version History:

11-05-13 (Current)
    • Updated Stock ROM using dump of 07-01-13 system build date
      • build.prop - ro.ota.version.id=V2.0.18.JRO03C.user.root.2013070 1 added (Over The Air update firmware version ID)
      • build.prop - ro.ota.version, ro.build.date, ro.build.date.utc and ro.build.description - (updated with new build date)
      • build.prop - ro.vendor.name=YFMID added
      • system/etc/alarm_blacklist.txt added
      • system/etc/game_diminsion_list.txt added (Gameloft fix?)
      • system/vendor - face recognition support files removed

10-24-2013
    • Updated Stock ROM using dump of 04-12-2013 system build date
      • Build.prop revisions improve issues involving market compatibility and apps that won't launch or crash or freeze
      • Audio support changed from ALSA to TinyALSA

09-14-2013
    • Changes Necessary To Revert To Stock From Future Custom ROMs
      • Now Formats System, Data and Cache
      • Now Flashes Stock Recovery
    • Added additional on screen feedback messages to updater-script per user feedback
    08-25-2013
    • First Release (Based on dump of 04-02-13 system build date)
    Downloads have moved to the downloads forum where they belonged: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7010-Amlogic-Next8HD8G-%28NX008HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root

Thanks again to Finless Bob for hosting these files, and thanks to the Freaktab community for inspiring me to work on the Amlogic Nextbook series!

ShaunMT
    Last edited by shaunmt; 12-26-2013, 19:00. Reason: Added Compatibility Warning
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid1 View Post
      Nice work!
      Can we just flash your new recovery directly with fastboot?

Comment

Can we just flash your new recovery directly with fastboot?
        That should be possible. I haven't tested it though. I didn't see any point when we can boot it from SD card and I thought it would be better for most users to keep the stock recovery on their tablet in case Nextbook ever releases an official update.

I'm currently testing CWM and TWRP builds. When I get around to releasing custom ROMs, I'll probably include a new recovery so it flashes as part of the update.zip.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

In case anyone was waiting I just tested and the custom recovery and installed the stok ROM. Worked perfect.

It does take awhile and it's not a very visual install so be patient. When you see offset 0x3cc it is almost done.

Comment

In case anyone was waiting I just tested and the custom recovery and installed the stok ROM. Worked perfect.

It does take awhile and it's not a very visual install so be patient. When you see offset 0x3cc it is almost done.
            Thanks for the feedback!

You are correct, the install takes a few minutes, and there aren't many screen updates during the process. This was a pretty fast and dirty mod on the recovery and I had to learn edify scripting for the updater-script along the way.

I will try to include more on screen messages in any future releases, although I doubt that I will release any updates to the modified 3e recovery. My future development appears to headed in a different direction.

If all goes well, I believe my next releases for the Amlogic Nextbook series will involve an EXT4 conversion with CWM and Cyangenmod built from source. After that, I'll probably work on TWRP and either an upgraded AOSP build or a Paranoid Android port.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

I will try to include more on screen messages in any future releases, although I doubt that I will release any updates to the modified 3e recovery. My future development appears to headed in a different direction.

ShaunMT
              I don;t think it's an issue really, I think the only difference you might see is the format messages which only last a couple of seconds. When I tried to flash a custom root the animation wasn't working on the stock recovery either.

But one note for everybody. When you try to go into recovery make sure you do not have the USB connected. If you do it forces into a hardware flash mode insteqad of recovery using power + volume +.

Comment

Wish I had seen this thread before rooting my tablet. This is the method that I used, takes a little more effort.

Are there different versions of the NX008HD8G? All the writing on the box is in Spanish and lsusb gives me 18d1:4e22 Google Inc. Nexus S
                Plus I didn't have any free e-books.
                ​Archos Gen9 A80S cm-11.0
                Kindle Fire 2 cm-11.0

Comment

Originally posted by stevemp View Post
                  Wish I had seen this thread before rooting my tablet. This is the method that I used, takes a little more effort.

Are there different versions of the NX008HD8G? All the writing on the box is in Spanish and lsusb gives me 18d1:4e22 Google Inc. Nexus S
                  Plus I didn't have any free e-books.
                  I don't believe there are any "different" versions of the NX008HD8G. At least, I haven't heard of any.

You are correct, the NX008HD8G did not include any free ebooks on the SD card. I copied the SD card description from my release for the Next8P12, which did have ebooks on the SD card. The NX008HD8G came with Google Play Books store, which offers many free ebooks, including all of the ones that came with the Next8P12. (They are all books in the public domain due to copyright expirations.)

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Flashable image with full ADB acess

Standard Flashing Disclaimers Apply!! If you don't know what that means, maybe you should hold off on flashing.

I figured I would add this here. The download link below is to a flashable "mostly stock" image for the NX008HD8G NextBook 8HD. I edited the bootimg default.prop to
                    Code:
                    ro.secure=0
                    ro.allow.mock.location=1
                    ro.debuggable=1
                    This will give you full ADB access once rooted and should also allow you to use just about any of the JB compatible root utilites out there. I have tested Unlock Root, Motochopper, and Bin3ry Root Restore and they all worked.

This flashes using ShuanMT's bootable recovery found with the instructions in the first post in this thread. Once flashed you can use Shaun's root package or one of the tools I mentioned above.

This is "mostly" stock because I have only removed a couple of the bloat files and got rid of the stock bootanimation. I am working on a custom ROM using Shaun's recovery as well, but figured this will give people a start with a ROM that will be easier for them to theme and work with.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Comment

Nice work. Glad to see someone else also posting some mods. Thanks again to everyone who has helped root, dump files, test, etc on the Amlogic Nextbook line.

ShaunMT

Standard Flashing Disclaimers Apply!! If you don't know what that means, maybe you should hold off on flashing.

I figured I would add this here. The download link below is to a flashable "mostly stock" image for the NX008HD8G NextBook 8HD. I edited the bootimg default.prop to
                      Code:
                      ro.secure=0
                      ro.allow.mock.location=1
                      ro.debuggable=1
                      This will give you full ADB access once rooted and should also allow you to use just about any of the JB compatible root utilites out there. I have tested Unlock Root, Motochopper, and Bin3ry Root Restore and they all worked.

This flashes using ShuanMT's bootable recovery found with the instructions in the first post in this thread. Once flashed you can use Shaun's root package or one of the tools I mentioned above.

This is "mostly" stock because I have only removed a couple of the bloat files and got rid of the stock bootanimation. I am working on a custom ROM using Shaun's recovery as well, but figured this will give people a start with a ROM that will be easier for them to theme and work with.

DOWNLOAD HERE
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Mirror

Code:
                        ro.secure=0
                        ro.allow.mock.location=1
                        ro.debuggable=1

DOWNLOAD HERE
                        I would love to try your version but it seems to be having troubles downloading. Could you possibly post a mirror to a different sight. Also would it be possible to just extract the file and copy/paste the bootanimation change? Didn't this require some decompiling? Well regardless thank you for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3rdborn View Post
                          I would love to try your version but it seems to be having troubles downloading. Could you possibly post a mirror to a different sight. Also would it be possible to just extract the file and copy/paste the bootanimation change? Didn't this require some decompiling? Well regardless thank you for your time!
                          Are you getting an error message? It shows 29 downloads in the last 24 hours.

Comment

I would be surprised if most of those "downloads" weren't all of my failed attempts. I've tried different devices and different browsers. No specific errors but just a failed download. I'll keep trying though and let you know if I'm successful. Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

Got It

I succeeded in downloading the file so no worries about that. I'll try flashing in a little!

Comment

Working...
                              X