This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing...

I've noticed something odd that was happening even before I flashed your ROM, Shaun.

Whenever the tablet is rebooted in portrait orientation, there is room for 8 icons across the page. If your page is set up for 7 icons, you might just think it is not centered, but you can actually put an icon over in the rightmost column.

As soon as you turn the tablet into landscape orientation and back to portrait, the rightmost column disappears and there is only room for 7 icons across, centered horizontally on the page.

Is this a quirk of JB or what?
    Nextbook Premium 8 SE (Next8P12) - * ROOTED * (Sold on ****)
    AML8726-M3 Cortex A9 @ 1GHz

Nextbook Premium 8 HD (N0008HD8G) - * ROOTED *

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) - STOCK (unfortunately)

Comment

Rooted and verified with Terminal Emulator. I installed SuperSU instead of Superuser just because it has been updated a lot more recently. Which one do you use?
      I prefer SuperSu. No real reason though.

Any comment on FAT vs FAT32 at the bootloader level? Is this something I should have known?
      I'm not sure it matters. Haven't tested though.

BTW, I one casualty so fer - I can no longer load Google Keyboard because the latest version is "not compatible" with my tablet. There were several apps I was able to run on the NEXT8P12 that Google Play won't allow me to install. I was able to install some of them via apk files I downloaded.

Any progress on coming up with a fix for this?
      Edit the device fingerprint in the build.prop, or download an app from Play store to spoof the device fingerprint.
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by eegorr View Post
        I've noticed something odd that was happening even before I flashed your ROM, Shaun.

Whenever the tablet is rebooted in portrait orientation, there is room for 8 icons across the page. If your page is set up for 7 icons, you might just think it is not centered, but you can actually put an icon over in the rightmost column.

As soon as you turn the tablet into landscape orientation and back to portrait, the rightmost column disappears and there is only room for 7 icons across, centered horizontally on the page.

Is this a quirk of JB or what?
        I haven't noticed this, but I'd bet it's related to the screen size and resolution of the tablet.
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Root update abortion

read through this whole post, and cant figure this out. i am relatively new to rooting, and i am wanting to get rid of the bloat ware on my nx8HD. followed your instructions from the first page, but whenever i try to update, the fill bar hits the 1/5th mark, then i get a dead android picture and it says the installation aborted. any ideas? ask for info of the tablet, im not too sure what would be of use.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Berenost View Post
            read through this whole post, and cant figure this out. i am relatively new to rooting, and i am wanting to get rid of the bloat ware on my nx8HD. followed your instructions from the first page, but whenever i try to update, the fill bar hits the 1/5th mark, then i get a dead android picture and it says the installation aborted. any ideas? ask for info of the tablet, im not too sure what would be of use.

thanks.
            First, please verify that your tablet still boots into Android normally?

Second, you only want to root correct?

Assuming both of those answers are yes...

Download the modified recovery. Unzip it and put the uImage_recovery on your external SD card.

Download the Kyser_Root.zip Do NOT unzip it. Just place the zip file on the SD card with the uImage_recovery

Reboot to recovery.

Install the Kyser_Root.zip from SD Card.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

if by boot into Android normally, you mean does it work like it always has, then yes, it boots and runs just fine. i am formatting my sd card now.

one thing i noticed though, i did a factory wipe/reset, and the recovery screen still had the <3e> at the end, even though the sd card wasnt even in it.

i have this funny feeling i botched somewhere. >.<

will retry after the format of the card.

Comment

if by boot into Android normally, you mean does it work like it always has, then yes, it boots and runs just fine. i am formatting my sd card now.

one thing i noticed though, i did a factory wipe/reset, and the recovery screen still had the <3e> at the end, even though the sd card wasnt even in it.

i have this funny feeling i botched somewhere. >.<

will retry after the format of the card.
                The stock (internal) and modified (sd card) recovery look exactly the same. The only difference is the stock one will only install things signed by Nextbook. The modified will install anything signed with google test keys.

No harm yet. We just need to figure out why your root attempt didn't work.
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

SCard

does the sdcard need to formatted by the tablet in order to work, or should i put the files onto it BEFORE i put the card into the tablet, and then try to use the files without letting the tablet format and mount?

Comment

does the sdcard need to formatted by the tablet in order to work, or should i put the files onto it BEFORE i put the card into the tablet, and then try to use the files without letting the tablet format and mount?
                    Make sure the SD card is formatted properly and readable by the tablet before putting the files on it.

Once you know the SD card can be read by the tablet, then put the files on it.
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

did as you said, installed the Kyser file, and it said completed, reboot. i did so, and it booted into the os like normal.

i downloaded supersu from the play store, but when i open it, it says that there is no SU binary installed, and that it can not install it. is there something on my end that i can check to see id the su is in fact there?

Comment

did as you said, installed the Kyser file, and it said completed, reboot. i did so, and it booted into the os like normal.

i downloaded supersu from the play store, but when i open it, it says that there is no SU binary installed, and that it can not install it. is there something on my end that i can check to see id the su is in fact there?
                        Open a file browser app and navigate to /system/xbin and see if su is in there.
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

SU

navigated to the /system/xbin directory. no file named su.

is it safe to try the install again?

Comment

navigated to the /system/xbin directory. no file named su.

is it safe to try the install again?
                            can't hurt. Watch carefully for any error messages.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

WORKED!!

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                              can't hurt. Watch carefully for any error messages.

ShaunMT
                              it worked! took the second install, no errors, and after reboot, the su file was there. got supersu on it now, and full root access! thanks sooo much!

another query:

is there a list of the prepackaged software for the nextbook8hd that can safely be removed? if so, can you please link? i dont use ANY of the google plus bull that is on here, and flixster and the like wouldnt be missed.

thank you again shaun for your help! def sending people to this thread now!

Comment

it worked! took the second install, no errors, and after reboot, the su file was there. got supersu on it now, and full root access! thanks sooo much!

another query:

is there a list of the prepackaged software for the nextbook8hd that can safely be removed? if so, can you please link? i dont use ANY of the google plus bull that is on here, and flixster and the like wouldnt be missed.

thank you again shaun for your help! def sending people to this thread now!
                                Sorry, I don't have a list... if all else fails, you can always reinstall my stock ROM.
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X