Arnova 10G2 Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.1 CWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baalmoloch View Post
    Sorry if I am dumb but doing this don't you just restore 2.1?
    Yes that is exactly what that will do. So if you flash via Cwm a new system Rom than don't restore your back up from the previous Rom as it is restoring your previous full Rom and not your apps

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
    Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
    <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
    <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
    https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
    </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
      Yes that is exactly what that will do. So if you flash via Cwm a new system Rom than don't restore your back up from the previous Rom as it is restoring your previous full Rom and not your apps

Well not completely correct......

For this specific instance the increase in space for /system will stick across CWM restores. This is because that is controlled by the parameter file not CWM. So if you do a restore from 2.1 to 2.1a you will still have the larger /system size.

However.... you will put pack the old superuser and anything old you had app injected into /system! So you ultimatly will have 2.1 with the extra space THAT IS IT! You wont really have 2.1a

Now what you can do is an ADVANCED restore and get back your data. BUT no gaurentee it wil be 100% good. You can try it.

Instuctions:
      1) CWM backup your 2.0
      2) Flash 2.1 a ROM
      3) Use app injector to put back all the apps you injected as system apps!!! YOu can go ahead and inject user apps but they will go bye bye on the restore or /data.
      4) Do an advanced CWM restore and restore ONLY data and cache.

This in theory should work! If you have any force closes, or other issues, then it did not work right. Sometimes you can get away with restoring data and cahce from different ROMs. Sometimes you cant.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Dope don't listen to me what do I know

Sent from my Cube U9GT 2 Finless Gingercomb Rom
        Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

<input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
        </form>

Comment

Well, I got an md5 mismatch after flashing 2.1a and trying to restore my /data partition. Took a bit of doing, but was able to fix that, but once I restored /data and /cache, the unit wouldn't boot past the splash screen. Going to give things another try, but might have to roll all the way back to 2.1 via nandroid restore of entire system and start over.

Any theories on why that happened?
          Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
          HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
          Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by HaroldG View Post
            Well, I got an md5 mismatch after flashing 2.1a and trying to restore my /data partition. Took a bit of doing, but was able to fix that, but once I restored /data and /cache, the unit wouldn't boot past the splash screen. Going to give things another try, but might have to roll all the way back to 2.1 via nandroid restore of entire system and start over.

Any theories on why that happened?
            Not sure Harold. I have done exactly what your saying a few times. THE ONLY times (yes I say times) I had a problem was when the SDcard was corrupted. Every time I had a restore that would not boot, the sdcard was the problem and my backup was hosed. MD5 checksum or not, if the sdcard gets corrupt, the restores wont work! Once I fixed the SDcard file system using windows disk tools.... it worked!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
              Not sure Harold. I have done exactly what your saying a few times. THE ONLY times (yes I say times) I had a problem was when the SDcard was corrupted. Every time I had a restore that would not boot, the sdcard was the problem and my backup was hosed. MD5 checksum or not, if the sdcard gets corrupt, the restores wont work! Once I fixed the SDcard file system using windows disk tools.... it worked!

Bob
              Interestingly, I *did* have a card error but I had fixed it in the PC before trying to restore the Nandroid, but not before flashing the 2.1a update. I'm thinking that when I flash 2.1a I *won't* flash the recovery partition, just the other partitions (system, boot, data, cache), then try the Nandroid restore again (from a fresh backup on a cleaned up sdcard). Or do I need to flash all partitions once I've erased IDB?

Comment

Hmmmm... I have never tried not flashing a part after erasing IDB. Not sure it would work or not? Erasing IDB is suppose to wipe everything but it may just be like a high level format and just erases the first part of nand. Thus possibly the data is still there and when you reflash not writing recovery, it still works? I just do not know. Never tried it. I suppose you can give it a go and see what happens.

One thing I have found and I am not sure WHY this does this even with MD5 checks is, if the SDcard was corrupt when you did the backup, the md5 check still works yet the backup wont restore. I think the MSDOS binary for Android either does too good a job working around a messed up fat file system, or it is doing a bad job and not seeing errors?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  Hmmmm... I have never tried not flashing a part after erasing IDB. Not sure it would work or not? Erasing IDB is suppose to wipe everything but it may just be like a high level format and just erases the first part of nand. Thus possibly the data is still there and when you reflash not writing recovery, it still works? I just do not know. Never tried it. I suppose you can give it a go and see what happens.

One thing I have found and I am not sure WHY this does this even with MD5 checks is, if the SDcard was corrupt when you did the backup, the md5 check still works yet the backup wont restore. I think the MSDOS binary for Android either does too good a job working around a messed up fat file system, or it is doing a bad job and not seeing errors?

Bob
                  I think that's entirely plausible (that Android can get past FAT32 errors that DOS/Windows can't). Since I know my Nandroid's are solid and the card FAT entries fixed via chkdsk in DOS (Thank goodness for command line.....I'll never give that up), I'm going to try to reflash and restore the proper way (with full wipes/erases) and see whether that works. I'll report back.

UPDATE: Got an md5 mismatch when I tried to just restore the \data & \cache partitions via advanced restore. Even got a mismatch when I tried to restore the Nandroid I made before flashing. Nothing wrong with the card. I think reflashing the recovery and bootloader is screwing things up, myself, but you may know better.

FURTHER UPDATE: So here's the bizarre thing (although I enjoyed the troubleshooting process), the md5 is messed up because it's a creature of the PRE-FLASH image, not the post-flash image. So I pulled the card, deleted the md5 in my computer, then booted up the tablet and installed from market Terminal Emulator and Busybox. Busybox has the linux shell commands required to generate a new md5 for the nandroid.

First time through I restored /cache then /data but got an error restoring /data. Then I went back and factory reset in recovery and tried again, this time restoring /data THEN /cache. Both times, got errors in recovery when I tried to restore /data (even though the md5 check passed). Completely wiped again, and tried a FULL restore (even though this probably rolled the \system back to 2.1 from 2.1a. Once again I got an error once I got to data.

Ooboy, but since \boot and \system HAD restored, I tried to restore the \data and \cache from the nandroid copy from before I had gamed the md5's (of course, I had made a COPY of my nandroid to try this method out.....) but I still got \data restore error.

Time to do something else. Copied the very same nandroid to another sdcard and inserted that sdcard into the tab. Ran the advanced restore of \data....and STILL got an error. Finally rolled back to a Nandroid from a few weeks ago from which I had successfully restored and then she wouldn't boot. Well, good thing I have two of these and was trying to decide which one to keep and which one to sell.

Going to return it to stock and put her up on ****. My last tab runs fine --- will keep things as they are.
                  Last edited by HaroldG; 07-16-2012, 23:01.

Comment

i have the 2.1 gingercomb and does the usb debugging not work on it? im having a ton of issues moving apps to sd and it keeps saying that i have to turn usb debugging on but when i look it is on. before i flashed this rom i was able to move apps back and forth and now i cant do anything. i will be flashing the 2.1a tomorrow anyways. does the 2.1a have the same problem? or is it just me?
                    Thanks soooooo much!! You are awesome!
                    Need a graphic artist for games, want a sketch, painting, pm me and we can work something out!
                    FREAKTAB is FREAKIN' AMAZING!
                    Kyle

Comment

SuperVideo and Prism3D on 2.1a version

Hello Bob,
                      first of all many thanks for Your Great Work and thanks to all those who help you.
                      I installed rel 2.1a on my tablet and it's really very nice.
                      I only have a problem with 2 apk with version 1.5C work well:
                      - SuperVideo floating video player often hangs
                      - Prism3D a game seems to take the controls using the accelerometer to the contrary.
                      You can do something?

Again many thanks

Comment

Glad you guys are loving Bobs work

Make him work even harder and donate to the tablet fund to get Bob some development Tablets to work on

</form>

Comment

Originally posted by mixmaxmux View Post
                          Hello Bob,
                          first of all many thanks for Your Great Work and thanks to all those who help you.
                          I installed rel 2.1a on my tablet and it's really very nice.
                          I only have a problem with 2 apk with version 1.5C work well:
                          - SuperVideo floating video player often hangs
                          - Prism3D a game seems to take the controls using the accelerometer to the contrary.
                          You can do something?

Again many thanks
                          Do you know how to get a logcat dump? I would need that to troubleshoot.

Bob

Comment

logcat dump

Sorry,
                            I do not know how to get the logcat dump .

Can you tell me how to do?

max

Comment

Hello,

I'm French so it's difficult to ask my question but i want to try. How to install the firmware on my tablet arnova 10 G2? It's work on on arnova 10 g2 4GB?

Thank you very much.
                              Last edited by Hello; 07-23-2012, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post
                                Hello,

I'm French so it's difficult to ask my question but i want to try. How to install the firmware on my tablet arnova 10 G2? It's work on on arnova 10 g2 4GB?

Thank you very much.
                                Yes it won't matter wether it is 4 or 8gb all the 10g2 roms will work!

Try the Gingercomb Rom it rocks

http://www.FreakTab.com/showthread.php?t=1067
                                Arnova 10G2 Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.1 CWM

So go for it

</form>

Comment

Working...
                                X