Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
    It sounds like there is a problem with the /system partition...

Reinstalling should solve the problem.

ShaunMT
    Ive tried reinstalling both your custom image and the stock image. Also both from an extsdcard and using adb sideload through recovery. When i attempt to boot the tablet running stock 4.4.2 it shows the nextbook splash screen and immediately starts showing a battery charging icon for about 5 seconds, then it goes black and the PC will recognize it as an android ADB device. However when i run the command adb devices i get no return. The only time i can get ADB to recognize the device is when i have it set to receive a sideload from recovery.

This tablet was given to me to repair and im fairly sure it did not have debugging mode enabled before i got my hands on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a chance you have a copy of the stock 4.2.2 image i could try? at this point i cant think of anything else.

Thanks

Comment

i just realized the model number on the back of my tablet has a -R after it. Since the tablet is red i am assuming that is what its indicating but in case its important i thought i would include it.

Comment

Originally posted by serik21 View Post
        i just realized the model number on the back of my tablet has a -R after it. Since the tablet is red i am assuming that is what its indicating but in case its important i thought i would include it.
        In that case, it sounds like the battery level is not being read correctly...

Pop the rear cover off and I bet you'll find that the battery cable is not firmly plugged into the socket. It is a common problem on this model that causes inaccurate battery levels and poor or no charging.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          In that case, it sounds like the battery level is not being read correctly...

Pop the rear cover off and I bet you'll find that the battery cable is not firmly plugged into the socket. It is a common problem on this model that causes inaccurate battery levels and poor or no charging.

ShaunMT
          Thank you so much. This fixed it. I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why this was not working. I reseated the cable and all is well. Turns out its not software at all, just a loose cable.

Thanks again

Comment

Cyanogenmod

So how goes the cyanogenmod rom building?

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you shaunmt for all your work. Got the NextBook 8 from Wal Mart to replace a Kindle Fire 2 that my wife had maxed the memory on. First NextBook had 4.4.2 from the box, before I got to install TWRP on it a yellow vertical line appeared on the screen. The only replacements Wal Mart had were Android 4.2.

I flashed your TWRP, did a full nandroid backup, then flashed your 4.4.2 ROM. Flashed the 4GB patch and lost the system partition. Flashed your ROM again and all is good! Thanks again for all your efforts.

Comment

trying to install 4.4.2 firmware upgrade per instructions from nextbookusa.com wwwebsite, get all the way to the end where it says to turn off tablet and connect via usb, do that and nothing seems to happen. do i need to reset to factory settings first? since the firmware upgrade will apparently remove any installed apps, etc. i suppose it's not a problem but would like to know it's gonna work before i do so. thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by bkovacevich77511 View Post
                  trying to install 4.4.2 firmware upgrade per instructions from nextbookusa.com wwwebsite, get all the way to the end where it says to turn off tablet and connect via usb, do that and nothing seems to happen. do i need to reset to factory settings first? since the firmware upgrade will apparently remove any installed apps, etc. i suppose it's not a problem but would like to know it's gonna work before i do so. thanks in advance.

This thread is about the NX785QC8G, which the nextbookusa.com website no longer offers a firmware upgrade for...

What tablet model do you have?

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

i have the nx785qc8g. there is a firmware upgrade download on the support area of their website. but i'm certainly willing to try another approach. must admit that i'm a newbie so would need some rather detailed instructions.

Comment

i have the nx785qc8g. there is a firmware upgrade download on the support area of their website. but i'm certainly willing to try another approach. must admit that i'm a newbie so would need some rather detailed instructions.
                      The only firmware updates I see currently available on the nextbookusa website are for the NX785QC16G and the NX700QC16G, which are both MediaTek hardware based tablets. Your NX785QC8G tablet has RockChip based hardware... I'm guessing you tried to install firmware from the NX785QC16G, which would explain why the instructions don't work.

Nextbook seems to have stopped supporting the NX785QC8G when the NX785QC16G came out...

You might want to try my slightly modified version of the NX785QC8G firmware instead... it is available here: http://freaktab.com/forum/main-categ...ownload-thread

It is very easy to install (assuming you didn't damage your tablet trying install the wrong firmware). It doesn't even require a PC. Just put open the zip file and put the rkimage file on your external sd card. Then either boot into recovery and install it, or boot into android and select yes when prompted to install it, Or you can install my TWRP and download the .zip version to flash with TWRP. I also have some paramater patches available to change the /data and internal sdcard sizes if you want.

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

my mistake, i failed to notice their update is indeed for the nx785qc16g. pretty sure i didn't damage anything on the tablet as the installer didn't seem to transfer anything and the tablet is still working. so how do i verify that my tablet has the NXM865FD_WMDE board? or is that the only one used for the nx785qc8g model? thanks again for the help, and my apologies for any dumb questions i ask, i'm definitely a newbie at this.

Comment

my mistake, i failed to notice their update is indeed for the nx785qc16g. pretty sure i didn't damage anything on the tablet as the installer didn't seem to transfer anything and the tablet is still working. so how do i verify that my tablet has the NXM865FD_WMDE board? or is that the only one used for the nx785qc8g model? thanks again for the help, and my apologies for any dumb questions i ask, i'm definitely a newbie at this.
                          I believe all of the NX785QC8G tablets have the same board, but it wouldn't be the first time Nextbook surprised me by changing internal parts...

The only way to verify is by checking your stock build.prop... the easiest way to do that would be to download any build.prop editor app from the Google Play store.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

"Towel Root" Thats one I never heard of, I rooted my new Next Book 8 with 4.4.2 already installed, I used Kinko Root, Very simply done in 10 minutes , system is NX785QC16G

I am looking for a nice Looking Mood? any suggestions

Comment

Hi, I had to order a new motherboard for my tablet from **** because i broke the USB port on the old one and because the headphone jack had issues. The first one i bought and installed had the screen display backwards (meaning mirror image). The touch screen orientation, however, appeared to be where it should be because I had to touch the opposite side of the screen from where an icon or menu item actually appeared (basically I had to touch any icon or menu item where it SHOULD have been). Your ROM, which i had on my previous board, had no effect, so I flashed OMA's ROM to no avail, same issue. So I returned the board and bought another one from a different seller and the SAME issue has happened. IN between the two replacement boards, I reinstalled my original board and the screen is normal. I had attempted some build prop edits with the first board but it turned out to be a huge PITA because I was denied adb push because of permissions or something so i had to manually copy and paste build.prop with es explorer while the screen is backwards. The unit then failed to get out of the nextbook boot splashcreen after I replaced the buildprop. (Oh, and force RTL in dev options did nothing. I am going to pull both build props and compare.
                              My questions are:
                              1)When replacing build prop, do I need to do anything else beside pasted and replace the file?
                              2)I s there a windows program i can mount and edit your images with? (Daemon tools gives me an error message so i assume i need something that can mount/read linux based images) I have SKD and can use adp.
                              3) Exactly what build prop property could i edit/create to reverse the display (make it a mirror image).
                              Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
                              Last edited by bobcool; 03-05-2016, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcool View Post
                                Hi, I had to order a new motherboard for my tablet from **** because i broke the USB port on the old one and because the headphone jack had issues. The first one i bought and installed had the screen display backwards (meaning mirror image). The touch screen orientation, however, appeared to be where it should be because I had to touch the opposite side of the screen from where an icon or menu item actually appeared (basically I had to touch any icon or menu item where it SHOULD have been). Your ROM, which i had on my previous board, had no effect, so I flashed OMA's ROM to no avail, same issue. So I returned the board and bought another one from a different seller and the SAME issue has happened. IN between the two replacement boards, I reinstalled my original board and the screen is normal. I had attempted some build prop edits with the first board but it turned out to be a huge PITA because I was denied adb push because of permissions or something so i had to manually copy and paste build.prop with es explorer while the screen is backwards. The unit then failed to get out of the nextbook boot splashcreen after I replaced the buildprop. (Oh, and force RTL in dev options did nothing. I am going to pull both build props and compare.
                                My questions are:
                                1)When replacing build prop, do I need to do anything else beside pasted and replace the file?
                                2)I s there a windows program i can mount and edit your images with? (Daemon tools gives me an error message so i assume i need something that can mount/read linux based images) I have SKD and can use adp.
                                3) Exactly what build prop property could i edit/create to reverse the display (make it a mirror image).
                                Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
                                No, you can edit the build.prop in place or copy paste it. Nothing else should be necessary (with the exception of valid settings inside the build.prop of course.)

No, there is no easy way to mount or edit the images windows. I do all my development on unix, and there's no easy way there either. I have to completely disassemble the images and repack them. I don't have the time to train someone in rom development, so please don't ask. The info is out there on net in various places if you want to learn it the way I did. You are welcome to post specific questions in the appropriate forums here. Myself or someone else will answer what we can.

What build prop property could you edit to reverse the display? That's the right question to ask in your case! Unfortunately, it's not one that I know the answer to, but I will try to point you in the right direction. I've never had to mess with screen orientation or touch orientation on this model, but I've done it on a different model and it was not easy... lots and lots of trial and error... The reason it is so difficult is because there are several variables involved, and they interact with one another, so it's often a matter of changing a combination of 2 or 3 variables to get them all in sync and at the desired orientation. Change just one and it might fix the display, but leave the touch backwards or rotation off by 90 degrees, etc... Read up on the official android developer documentation concerning display orientation, touch orientation, and gravity / accelerometer sensor orientation to learn how it is supposed to work and what settings might be available to tweak. Then be warned that chinese manufacturers don't always follow Google's methods and tend to hack their version's to do things in very non standard ways. One thing that seems to be common in chinese tablets, is installing touchscreen's upside down. There may be a setting specifically to toggle the display upside down or not.
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X