Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiseman9871 View Post
    Are you talking about the settings for clearing cache and history? They would be found in settings after you open a URL....yes?
    To clear cache and data for an individual app, you launch android and go to settings, apps, select the desired application and you'll find a clear data button and a clear cache button.

To clear all cache and data, you can either launch android, go to settings, backup and reset, and do a factory reset, or you can launch recovery and do either factory reset or wipe data and then wipe cache.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
      well have you compiled a rom for this tablet yet, or are you still gonna use stock based roms
      I haven't tried yet... I'm still working on TWRP recovery. If I ever get it finished, I'll try some alternative android builds.

Once TWRP is done, it should be much more work to compile a full ROM instead of just the recovery. It should just be a matter of compiling a ROM, then figuring out what drivers and libraries need to be copied from the stock ROM to make all the hardware work. I'll probably try OmniRom first (because TWRP is part of the OmniRom source code) then Cyanogenmod.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
        First I've heard of a "red" edition... I still say check the battery connection...

It's definitely a /cache or /data issue... might even be the launcher's app cache, which be cleared independently of the entire data cache by clearing the cache and data for the launcher in applications in settings.

I do like Nova launcher though...

All the new limited edition tablets are is tablets that have KK installed vs the "regular" 8" that does not and the limited edition tablets give you a choice of back of the tablet colors. Mine is blue. Otherwise they are exactly the same as the other 8". I used your ROM just as before, which brings up a question..after we root the tablet and later do a factory reset, is it normal for the tablet to still be rooted?

Comment

I haven't tried yet... I'm still working on TWRP recovery. If I ever get it finished, I'll try some alternative android builds.

Once TWRP is done, it should be much more work to compile a full ROM instead of just the recovery. It should just be a matter of compiling a ROM, then figuring out what drivers and libraries need to be copied from the stock ROM to make all the hardware work. I'll probably try OmniRom first (because TWRP is part of the OmniRom source code) then Cyanogenmod.

ShaunMT
          ehh omnirom not a good choice. i had bugs with it. carbon, liquid, and cm11 are worth it. slimrom its an iffy too. id go for carbon rom if it has twrp part of it.

Comment

To clear cache and data for an individual app, you launch android and go to settings, apps, select the desired application and you'll find a clear data button and a clear cache button.

To clear all cache and data, you can either launch android, go to settings, backup and reset, and do a factory reset, or you can launch recovery and do either factory reset or wipe data and then wipe cache.

ShaunMT

Duh!!! I knew that...lol!!!!

Comment

ShaunMT
              OK, I did the launcher clear data and cache then went into recovery and wiped the cache partition. Rebooted, arranged icons like normal, rebooted again and only three icons were missing this time. BTW, I failed to mention that I almost always get a google keyboard has stopped error when rebooting and have to restore from a backup and this is after installing latest version from google play.

Comment

All the new limited edition tablets are is tablets that have KK installed vs the "regular" 8" that does not and the limited edition tablets give you a choice of back of the tablet colors. Mine is blue. Otherwise they are exactly the same as the other 8". I used your ROM just as before, which brings up a question..after we root the tablet and later do a factory reset, is it normal for the tablet to still be rooted?
                Yes, that is normal. Factory reset doesn't do what you (or most people) think it does...

A "Factory Reset" is the exact same thing as doing both "Wipe Cache" and "Wipe Data".

People commonly think that "Factory Reset" restores the stock ROM or resets the /System folder to a fresh install of the current ROM, but neither is true.

Factory Restore doesn't touch the system folder at all. The reason for this is because on a stock, non-rooted tablet, the /system partition is read-only and the recovery is only supposed to install official firmware signed with the manufacturer's private keys. Therefore, /system is assumed to be impossible to modify and should never need to be reset.

The only way to undo changes to the /system folder is to manually revert the changes or to reflash a ROM.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ehh omnirom not a good choice. i had bugs with it. carbon, liquid, and cm11 are worth it. slimrom its an iffy too. id go for carbon rom if it has twrp part of it.
                  Never used OmniRom myself, but it should be the easiest to build, considering the source is bundled with TWRP source. If TWRP compiles successfully, OmniRom should too. Cyanogenmmod should also compile successfully from a working TWRP device tree.

I've never heard of Carbon, Liquid or slimrom... do they have published source code?

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

OK, I did the launcher clear data and cache then went into recovery and wiped the cache partition. Rebooted, arranged icons like normal, rebooted again and only three icons were missing this time. BTW, I failed to mention that I almost always get a google keyboard has stopped error when rebooting and have to restore from a backup and this is after installing latest version from google play.
                    If any of the affected apps are system apps, try reflashing the ROM (then wipe cache and data again).

I also wonder if the affected apps are storing data on the SD card... you might need to go to settings, backup and restore, choose factory reset and make sure the checkbox for erase sd card is turned on. That will do a wipe cache, wipe data and also reformat the internal SD card.

You might want to make sure your external SD card isn't causing problems too...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Never used OmniRom myself, but it should be the easiest to build, considering the source is bundled with TWRP source. If TWRP compiles successfully, OmniRom should too. Cyanogenmmod should also compile successfully from a working TWRP device tree.

I've never heard of Carbon, Liquid or slimrom... do they have published source code?

ShaunMT
                      the source code for them is out yes. youtube those roms and look at them. i dont like slimrom since there arent many things in it. its built for tablets but i had it on my phone. didnt like it. carbon source code is out too. liquidsmooth i tested and i loved it. but yeah. their source code is out.

Comment

If any of the affected apps are system apps, try reflashing the ROM (then wipe cache and data again).

I also wonder if the affected apps are storing data on the SD card... you might need to go to settings, backup and restore, choose factory reset and make sure the checkbox for erase sd card is turned on. That will do a wipe cache, wipe data and also reformat the internal SD card.

You might want to make sure your external SD card isn't causing problems too...

ShaunMT
                        After reflashing the rom and doing a factory reset with SD card erase I still have the issue of icons disappearing from the home screen.

However, I have determined that it can be any app that appears under settings/apps/downloaded be it user or system that has been moved to internal SD card. If the app remains in internal memory it remains on the home screen. I know that if you have an icon on the home screen and then move it to the internal SD card it will disappear. What I'm talking about is after you have moved it back to home screen from the app drawer. Reboot and it's gone every time if it appears under settings/apps/downloaded. Other apps are not effected. Sorry if I'm repeating myself or not clear, I'm tired, ideas anyone?

Comment

What partition layout does this tablet use?

Comment

anyone having a problem with their nextbook tablet force shutting down on them? im having that and its driving me crazy

Comment

anyone having a problem with their nextbook tablet force shutting down on them? im having that and its driving me crazy
                              Is it the common battery issue or some other issue?
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Oh yeah, battery issue. Weren't you going to give detailed instructions on how to take the tablet apart to fix this?

Comment

Working...
                                X