No announcement yet.

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well seems our kernel needs to be updated to the next source. Is their source available

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
      Well seems our kernel needs to be updated to the next source. Is their source available
      There is a rockchip SDK available, but no kernel configuration files for our model. I don't have any experience with kernel development and don't plan to learn any time soon.

I don't think we really need a new kernel though. Our stock kernel should be able to run any KitKat based ROM.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Standard TWRP is Working on the NX785QC8G!

FYI...

I've got a standard build of the very latest TWRP 2.8.0.0 booting and working normally on my NX785QC8G!

I'm currently working on modifying TWRP to install our parameter files (Contains Partition Sizes and Locations) and our bootloaders (Requires updating with new Partition Sizes and Locations when the Parameter file changes).

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

great. glad to hear it works. now to beta test it lol when will it be ready to flash to our devices

Comment

great. glad to hear it works. now to beta test it lol when will it be ready to flash to our devices
            I may release a beta version to some testers soon...

Right now, I'm working on adjusting the UI layout to fit our screens. TWRP didn't support our screen size and default orientation, so I had to use a much smaller layout that doesn't fill our screen.

I also noticed that the "Fix Permissions" feature doesn't seem to be working for some reason...

The only thing it's really good for right now is backing up kernel, boot, system, data and cache or flashing update.zip packages. It still can't flash a full rockchip firmware image.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Few bugs in the twrp. It will get worked out. Plus you worked hard on that. That recovery came a long way.

Comment

Few bugs in the twrp. It will get worked out. Plus you worked hard on that. That recovery came a long way.
                TWRP released an update this morning that should hopefully correct the "fix permissions" errors.

That leaves us with just UI improvements and porting rockchip features from the stock firmware.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Think you can pull that off

Comment

Think you can pull that off
                    Got a newer tablet, same model, has KK already installed._ Same issus exist on this one as were on my older one.

Battery Drain - Still an issue but app called battery calibration does seem to help some

Icons Disappearing - Every time I restart I have to drag 4 icons back from the app drawer to the home screen

Apps Uninstalling - Again every time I restart many of the apps in the app drawer are gone and I have to reinstall from a backup. Anyone else experiencing this? This is frustrating as hell and would like to figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by wiseman9871 View Post
                      Got a newer tablet, same model, has KK already installed._ Same issus exist on this one as were on my older one.

Battery Drain - Still an issue but app called battery calibration does seem to help some

Icons Disappearing - Every time I restart I have to drag 4 icons back from the app drawer to the home screen

Apps Uninstalling - Again every time I restart many of the apps in the app drawer are gone and I have to reinstall from a backup. Anyone else experiencing this? This is frustrating as hell and would like to figure it out
                      That's a new one on me. Idk what to say on that one.

Comment

Can you elaborate on the battery drain issue?

These sound like issues caused by corrupted /cache or /data partitions. I'd bet that rebooting into recovery mode and wiping /data & /cache or doing a factory reset would resolve these issues.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I have battery issue, too. Still shuts down abruptly with no warning. Haven't tried to open the back to check battery connection, as Shaunmt suggested. I have the new model, too. Came with red back and KK installed.

Never experienced any missing icons from home screen. Like Shaunmt's suggestion to clear cache, that may fix the launcher. If not, you could try an alternative launcher. I use Nova Launcher, get it from Play store. Works great for me and have used a long time with no issues.

Comment

I have battery issue, too. Still shuts down abruptly with no warning. Haven't tried to open the back to check battery connection, as Shaunmt suggested. I have the new model, too. Came with red back and KK installed.
                            First I've heard of a "red" edition... I still say check the battery connection...

Never experienced any missing icons from home screen. Like Shaunmt's suggestion to clear cache, that may fix the launcher. If not, you could try an alternative launcher. I use Nova Launcher, get it from Play store. Works great for me and have used a long time with no issues.
                            It's definitely a /cache or /data issue... might even be the launcher's app cache, which be cleared independently of the entire data cache by clearing the cache and data for the launcher in applications in settings.

I do like Nova launcher though...
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                              First I've heard of a "red" edition... I still say check the battery connection...

It's definitely a /cache or /data issue... might even be the launcher's app cache, which be cleared independently of the entire data cache by clearing the cache and data for the launcher in applications in settings.

I do like Nova launcher though...
                              Are you talking about the settings for clearing cache and history? They would be found in settings after you open a URL....yes?

Comment

well have you compiled a rom for this tablet yet, or are you still gonna use stock based roms

Comment

Working...
                                X