Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) Official Firmware Update Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpshelley View Post
    yeah I'm not looking to root KitKat I just want to know if there's a way to root stock JB 4.2.2 without a PC and without flaing e custom ROM.
    Sorry, I forgot that these came with 4.2.

The only current way to root 4.2 on these is using kingo root on a PC.

I'm working on TWRP recovery though, when I release it, I can look into providing a root only patch for stock 4.2.

FYI, installing TWRP recovery replaces the stock recovery. Italso requires modifying other parts of the stock ROM unless you flash it using one of the PC Rockchip flashing tools.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
      how is the next build of twrp going. plus did you check on your scripts to see why they arent being applied?
      Well, I finally found some time to return to working on my patches to update the parameter file with new /data and /sdcard sizes...

The good news is I found the problem... my script wasn't actually rebooting the tablet to load the new parameter file, it was only restarting the recovery application... I also confirmed that all of the other steps work as expected, but it was restoring the system and other partitions to the wrong locations because new parameters weren't loaded.

The bad news, is that the normal way of forcing the device to fully reboot to recovery doesn't seem to work... it causes the recovery application to hang... so I'm going to have to come up with another work around...

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

At least you solved that hiccup. This tablet came a long way

Comment

I have released TWRP for the Nextbook NX785QC8G

ShaunMT-s-TWRP-Recovery-For-The-Nextbook-NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE-(Download-Thread)

ShaunMT-s-TWRP-Recovery-For-The-Nextbook-NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE-(Support-Thread)
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Parameter Patches Released for Nextbook NX785QC8G

ShaunMT-s-Parameter-Patches-for-Nextbook-NX785QC8G-(Download-Thread)
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Battery Calibration Fix

I downloaded and installed an xposed framework module called Disable Critical Battery Shutdown, which disables the automatic shutdown of the tablet.

Since installing this I have completely charged and fully discharged my tablet without it unexpectedly shutting down. You will get a warning somewhere between 14% and 0%, so there is plenty of time to plug in the charger, even at 0% if you have it nearby.

The description for this module sounds exactly like the problem we have been experiencing and thats why I chose to try it even though it hadn't been tested on android 4 and above but said it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseman9871 View Post
                I downloaded and installed an xposed framework module called Disable Critical Battery Shutdown, which disables the automatic shutdown of the tablet.

Since installing this I have completely charged and fully discharged my tablet without it unexpectedly shutting down. You will get a warning somewhere between 14% and 0%, so there is plenty of time to plug in the charger, even at 0% if you have it nearby.

The description for this module sounds exactly like the problem we have been experiencing and thats why I chose to try it even though it hadn't been tested on android 4 and above but said it should work.
                This sounds like an interesting work around... however I would like to note that at present my tablet is working normally... It displays warning at 14% and then again at 10% and 5% (I think) before shutting down normally at 1 or 2% (as I recall) to protect the battery from full discharge...

If you use a mod to disable the low battery shutdown, you really should attempt to shutdown manually before the battery runs out completely...

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Loving this ROM. No more flickering of the screen and no more force shutdowns. I think omas ROM touched too much of the basis of the ROM and was a bit unstable.

Comment

Password required

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                    I figured out how to install the official update...

1. Download the official update file from: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5a2k9d758f3fedt/update.img
                    2. Move the update.img file to your external SD card.
                    3. Turn your tablet on while holding volume-.
                    4. The tablet should boot into "Safe mode".
                    5. A message box pops up indicating that the update file was found on your external SD card and asking if you want to install it.
                    6. Choose OK.
                    7. Tablet says it will Reboot.
                    8. Update automatically installs.
                    9. Tablet reboots.
                    10. App optimization occurs.
                    11. Startup wizard launches. (Data and cache were not wiped.)
                    12. You are prompted to turn on google location services.
                    13. You are prompted to delete the update (and advised that it will prompt for installation again each reboot if not deleted.)
                    14. Upon completing or exiting startup wizard, the Android 4.4.2 launcher appears.

I'll post first impressions after I've had a chance to try out the new firmware.

ShaunMT
                    Hi ShaunMT,

after following the instructions to update the firmware of my Nextbook, I have now a big problem:
                    after booting, the system ask me a password to decrypt the storage and if I shutdown the system, it reboot again with the same message.

I solved the problem after Data & Cache Wiping.......
                    Now I'm testing the system,

Thanks,

Maurizio
                    Last edited by twinastir; 01-19-2015, 16:17. Reason: Problem Solved

Comment

Originally posted by twinastir View Post
                      Hi ShaunMT,

after following the instructions to update the firmware of my Nextbook, I have now a big problem:
                      after booting, the system ask me a password to decrypt the storage and if I shutdown the system, it reboot again with the same message.
                      Could you help me???

Maurizio
                      The update messed up your data partition and the system thinks you have total device encryption turned on... this is a known problem with stock recovery and the official udpate...

Reboot to recovery mode and do a factory reset or wipe data and cache... that should solve the problem...

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Nand Memory not mounted

The update messed up your data partition and the system thinks you have total device encryption turned on... this is a known problem with stock recovery and the official udpate...

Reboot to recovery mode and do a factory reset or wipe data and cache... that should solve the problem...

ShaunMT
                        Thanks! it works but I found another problem:
                        system doesn't mount the Nand Memory, so many applications like photo don't work.

I followed your instruction in this way:

1. I installed TWRP-Recovery and I rooted the system (also installing the SU app)
                        2. I checked all the tablet parameters with your list and the tablet is compatible
                        3. I tried to launch the 2gb or 4gb .zip from TWRP to resize the partitions but I got an error
                        4. I tried also to flash a new ROM with TWRP but also in this case I got an error

If you need I can send you a screenshot with errors.

What should be the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by twinastir View Post
                          Thanks! it works but I found another problem:
                          system doesn't mount the Nand Memory, so many applications like photo don't work.

I followed your instruction in this way:

1. I installed TWRP-Recovery and I rooted the system (also installing the SU app)
                          2. I checked all the tablet parameters with your list and the tablet is compatible
                          3. I tried to launch the 2gb or 4gb .zip from TWRP to resize the partitions but I got an error
                          4. I tried also to flash a new ROM with TWRP but also in this case I got an error

If you need I can send you a screenshot with errors.

What should be the problem?
                          After flashing a parameter change, the /data and internal SD card both have to be reformatted to their new sizes. This should have been done automatically by the installer, but it sounds like something went wrong with reformatting.

Manually Wiping / reformatting /data and the internal sd card partitions with TWRP should solve the issue.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

SD Card 0 MB.

After flashing a parameter change, the /data and internal SD card both have to be reformatted to their new sizes. This should have been done automatically by the installer, but it sounds like something went wrong with reformatting.

Manually Wiping / reformatting /data and the internal sd card partitions with TWRP should solve the issue.

ShaunMT
                            The problem was that the internal SD card, for unknown reason, was at 0 MB, so when the script tried to mount it, we got an error "unable to mount Sd card". After reformatting it come back to 4gb and now all seem to work correctly.

Thanks for your support!!!

Comment

Hello.

I have installed your custom update. However when the tablet boots it shows your custom splash screen then immediately goes black. Ill see the splash screen for about 1.5 seconds then nothing. Once i hit the power button it happens again. I've tried booting to recovery and doing a wipe data with no luck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                              Don

Comment

Originally posted by serik21 View Post
                                Hello.

I have installed your custom update. However when the tablet boots it shows your custom splash screen then immediately goes black. Ill see the splash screen for about 1.5 seconds then nothing. Once i hit the power button it happens again. I've tried booting to recovery and doing a wipe data with no luck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                                Don
                                It sounds like there is a problem with the /system partition...

Reinstalling should solve the problem.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X