X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3368 04/2017 True Octacore Firmware

UPDATED - Version 2.0 - March Update

AnTuTu Benchmark 6.3.3

Ever since I joined the scene here at Freaktab I've been focusing on chips and issues that don't get much attention from the crowd. Whether it's overclocking RK3066 gpu/ddr when nobody thought it was needed or possible, to unlocking and overclocking all eight cores on the RK3368 (and RK3288 hacks unreleased on Freaktab) I mostly do niche improvements/mods with a bent towards maximum performance without sacrificing stability.

With that said, here's a reminder of the purpose/focus of these true octacore firmware releases:

A recent conversation at CNXSoft on the topic of throttling, benchmarking and big.LITTLE architecture reminded me to continue my experiment into the possibility of enabling simultaneous processing among all eight cores of the RK3368. As implemented from stock, the RK3368 is really more like a quad core processor (tasks are grouped into one cluster of one or four cores at a time) with regards to multithreading and task scheduling.

The stock big.LITTLE implementation of the RK3368 cpu may be better suited for tablets and mobile devices.

This firmware decouples the CPU clusters from the voltage scaling and task scheduling design of the first gen big.LITTLE system implemented in the RK3368 and returns to plain old DVFS combined with GTS (global task scheduling). Basically, this allows all eight cores of the cpu to work at once - making it a 'true' octacore cpu. Frequency of all eight cores: 1608

TL;DR: All eight CPU cores are enabled simultaneously as 'big' cores at 1608mhz, instead of four big and four little.

• This is/was a personal project (I **really* dislike the RK implementation of big.LITTLE in TV boxes) but became even more so due to a lack of testers. Whatever is in the firmware and what the ROM does well is what suits my particular use case. Whatever isn't, doesn't.
    What's included:
    • Widevine Level 3
    • Latest Libs
    • Overclocked CPU - ALL cores run at 1608 simultaneously. Unlike my previous firmware uploads, this overclock method is more logical in its implementation, thus more stable, as it's not 'fighting' against the big.LITTLE clusters in factory settings.
    • Optimized emmc, vpu, gpu, ddr and all DVFS regulated components.
    • Significantly lower vcore for better thermal performance and stability.

RK3368 supported crypto extensions (NEON, SHA1/SHA2, AES) ENABLED

DOWNLOAD-v1.0 Performance Enhancements

DOWNLOAD
    -v1.5 (added Gapps/Play Store, fixed issue with home/recent buttons for some users, added sleep/resume)

DOWNLOAD-v2.0* (Performance Enhancements, new video buffer config, latest drivers & libs, updated apps) - AP6255/6335 ONLY
    DOWNLOAD-v2.0-March 2017 Update (Updated libs & apks, memory enhancements, BD-iso playback support, miscellaneous enhancements, fixed AP6335 BT)

Version 2.0 uses an all new structure. Any changes to the partitions will break the firmware and result in a bootloop. Use only the images provided.

I want to experiment with true octacore hacks on my device. Can you make this for my device?

Post a link to the firmware that correctly runs your device so that I can compare the binaries and I'll probably do a version for your specific tv box. No guarantees.

Will my TV box explode or catch fire running all eight cores at 1608Mhz?

Probably not. I've been running these hacks (and more) for over 6 months, no fireworks yet. (Not even at 1752Mhz with a 4.5a power supply)

One final note. Some developers receive compensation - monetary, device, otherwise - from certain manufacturers to push/promote a particular brand's products and development agenda. Often, that involves access to a specific brand's private SDK, and private development timeline as well as utilities. This is not always fully disclosed. I do not, and have never, received any compensation in any form from any manufacturer, brand or website. All my contributions are my personal hobby, and for experimental purposes only.

Be mindful of individuals pushing specific brands/products through tacit/explicit endorsements of 'quality' driven mostly by personal/business interests. Please do not confuse volunteer hobbyists (such as myself and others) with said compensated brand agents.

Last edited by Shomari; 04-15-2017, 10:51.

Bravo

Comment

thank you shomari, will test this on my box

Comment

Originally posted by Shomari View Post

Performance enhancements

DOWNLOAD
        great work, I have WiFi chip ap6330, will this work without loosing wifi?

Comment

Originally posted by DNIZoid View Post

great work, I have WiFi chip ap6330, will this work without loosing wifi?
          Not sure, but if you lose wifi for AP6330, flash this resource download

Comment

Not sure, but if you lose wifi for AP6330, flash this resource download
            Thanks, will do

Comment

Originally posted by brickmojoccatz View Post
              thank you shomari, will test this on my box
              Did the resource I linked above enable AP6330 wifi for you?

Comment

still at work, I confirm it. thanks

Comment

do i flash it with twrp? my box is i68

Comment

Originally posted by DNIZoid View Post

do i flash it with twrp? my box is i68
                    No, that won't work. That's a resource.img file, you flash that with Android tool select only the resource checkbox

Comment

Updated - added play store, other system apps. REVERTED

---ADDED IN V1.5---
                      Last edited by Shomari; 02-14-2017, 04:58.

Comment

Hi Shomari and readers,

Some feedback so far the supplied resources fixed the wifi and BT and now works. IR remote is not working. Box runs quick and responsive, i really like the minimal apps installed (dont need google services or markte).Out of the 3 usb ports only the back one works, and led display not working. Will test some more applications such as kodi etc.

Let me know if you need something specific tested hope i can help with that.
                        Last edited by brickmojoccatz; 02-12-2017, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by brickmojoccatz View Post
                          Hi Shomari and readers,

Some feedback so far the supplied resources fixed the wifi and BT and now works. IR remote is not working. Box runs quick and responsive, i really like the minimal apps installed (dont need google services or markte).Out of the 3 usb ports only the back one works, and led display not working. Will test some more applications such as kodi etc.

Let me know if you need something specific tested hope i can help with that.
                          Thanks for the feedback, it's okay to simply test what you use, no need to try and test it all by yourself. If you come across anything that doesn't work correctly in addition to what you posted, please let us know.

What device do you have? I would like to fix your usb ports.

Comment

Shomari, I tried running your firmware on my Tronsmart R68 (non-gigabit), but stuck on the boot screen. Tried twice, but same thing. As always, I replaced the resource and kernel img with the img's from my stock firmware.
                            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                              Shomari, I tried running your firmware on my Tronsmart R68 (non-gigabit), but stuck on the boot screen. Tried twice, but same thing. As always, I replaced the resource and kernel img with the img's from my stock firmware.
                              You should try flashing the whole fimrware. There are dependencies between the boot, kernel, and system image. The mix of images you're flashing is what's causing the incompatibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X