Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Pro + TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 2/16GB Fast Lan, WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P.X View Post

Hi,

That happened to me as well. I opened the Terminal app and used
    reboot recovery command.

If you are on an OEM FW then you have to install a reboot app or a Terminal app.
    If you have a Magendanz FW then you can enable Terminal in Developer Mode - Click Settings > About > Build .. 7 times
    Then enable Local Terminal option
    Yes I'm on stock firmware.

As it seems that you have tried out the stock v098 firmware already, is it worth to install, or should i go for the Magendanz ATV right away?

I have a box with the Magendanz ATV already, and it looks nice and works fine, but I understand from the comments that Netflix has issues.

My biggest pet peeve with the stock firmware is that TV center is a fork of an older kodi version and you can't update it to the latest version.

if you remove the tv center and install the latest kodi, then the TV Center icon on the launcher becomes useless.

Comment

I am running the End of November 1128 release of Magandanz ATV - I like it having Terminal and App Drawer installed.
      Works great for me.
      Don't have Netflix currently so not sure of any issues ??
      Last edited by P.X; 01-04-2018, 04:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Jancales View Post

Yes I'm on stock firmware.

As it seems that you have tried out the stock v098 firmware already, is it worth to install, or should i go for the Magendanz ATV right away?

I have a box with the Magendanz ATV already, and it looks nice and works fine, but I understand from the comments that Netflix has issues.

My biggest pet peeve with the stock firmware is that TV center is a fork of an older kodi version and you can't update it to the latest version.

if you remove the tv center and install the latest kodi, then the TV Center icon on the launcher becomes useless.
        Hi,
        I'm still on the stock rom.
        I installed the latest version of Kodi and setup the TV channels I wanted -> no use of TV center!
        I also installed the launcher named "TV launcher" and it works perfectly. Note that you will still see the ugly Mecool launcher right after the boot but afterwards each time you will press the Home button on your remote you will get the new TV launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoGood View Post

Hi,
          I'm still on the stock rom.
          I installed the latest version of Kodi and setup the TV channels I wanted -> no use of TV center!
          I also installed the launcher named "TV launcher" and it works perfectly. Note that you will still see the ugly Mecool launcher right after the boot but afterwards each time you will press the Home button on your remote you will get the new TV launcher.
          Thanks I'll look into that, but isn't it possible to set the custom launcher as default in settings/home so you don't need to press home button?

Comment

V0928 OEM uses the ATV Leanback Launcher (aka Google TV Launcher)

Magendanz ATV is a lean version with the Terminal built in to Developer options and an App Drawer so no need for Sideload Launcher app

Comment

V0928 OEM uses the ATV Leanback Launcher (aka Google TV Launcher)

Magendanz ATV is a lean version with the Terminal built in to Developer options and an App Drawer so no need for Sideload Launcher app
              v0928 OEM is stock firmware right?

I installed it but there is no ATV launcher, just the usual Mecool crap launcher

Edit : and in fact i just did a factory restore and now get blank screen only.

Mecool launcher video runs, then a blank screen.

is there a stock firmware that can be flashed with burning tool?

Comment

v0928 OEM is stock firmware right?

I installed it but there is no ATV launcher, just the usual Mecool crap launcher

Edit : and in fact i just did a factory restore and now get blank screen only.

Mecool launcher video runs, then a blank screen.

is there a stock firmware that can be flashed with burning tool?
                IMG file for V0928 (dated 1124)
                Hey guys, Glad to share the firmware for MECOOL M8S PRO Plus TV Box 1GB+8GB/2GB+16GB: PC Flash Firmware SD Flash Firmware Flash guide, please refer to: https://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2016/02/20/android-tv-boxes-flash-tutorials-tool/ Have fun ! Dec 20, 2017 What’s your Reaction? +1 0 +1 0 +1 0 +1 0 Facebook Twitter Email

I only tried the Pro L version of V0928 and that uses the Leanback Launcher - I had assumed that the Pro+ release would be the same, sorry !!
                Like I say I am using the Magendanz V0928 based FW now.

Comment

IMG file for V0928 (dated 1124)
                  http://blog.geekbuying.com/2017/12/m...date-20171220/

I only tried the Pro L version of V0928 and that uses the Leanback Launcher - I had assumed that the Pro+ release would be the same, sorry !!
                  Like I say I am using the Magendanz V0928 based FW now.
                  I'm downloading the 24/11 firmware right now, comes in at snail pac estimated 2 hours, but I'm a bit worried that the actual update should be 28/11.

The firmware is definitely Android TV, as you can notice from the apps that are not available in Playstore, but don't know why they use standard launcher

Comment

I'm downloading the 24/11 firmware right now, comes in at snail pac estimated 2 hours, but I'm a bit worried that the actual update should be 28/11.

The firmware is definitely Android TV, as you can notice from the apps that are not available in Playstore, but don't know why they use standard launcher
                    Others have also commented on the date difference - This is the only IMG i have seen and is the latest release via GeekBuying blog.

Let us know what you find .... : popcorn:

Comment

Just notice there is a 20/12 update on the blog.

Edit: while its says 20/12 update it is the 24/11 update. What a mess.

Comment

Just notice there is a 20/12 update on the blog.

Edit: while its says 20/12 update it is the 24/11 update. What a mess.

1220 (or 20/12) is their date for the blog post, not to do with the FW build date as far as I can tell .... tis confusing though !

Comment

Guest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, that naming scheme that Geekbuying uses is very confusing. People need to know the build date, not when it's posted.

Still, I credit them for blogging these new OEM firmware releases when they're available. I wish more OEMs and online retailers did that.

Did anyone of you experience the issue, that the HDMI output isn't working?
                        I got my Mecool M8S Pro+ today, treid to start it but I saw no picture on my TV so I tried a different TV, my PC display and different HDMI cables. Nothing worked, so I connected the box via an AV cable and now I got a picture but of course a crappy resolution. So I installed [ROM] Mecool M8S Pro+ TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1) as an OTA update from a USB drive.

But after installing and booting up I'm still only able to get a picture via the AV cable.

Any thoughts on this?

Edit:
                        Yeah, looks like the HDMI Cable was not in deep enough. Now it works. Didn't know that I had to push it that hard.
                        Last edited by jemus; 01-04-2018, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by jemus View Post
                          Did anyone of you experience the issue, that the HDMI output isn't working?
                          I got my Mecool M8S Pro+ today, treid to start it but I saw no picture on my TV so I tried a different TV, my PC display and different HDMI cables. Nothing worked, so I connected the box via an AV cable and now I got a picture but of course a crappy resolution. So I installed [ROM] Mecool M8S Pro+ TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1) as an OTA update from a USB drive.

But after installing and booting up I'm still only able to get a picture via the AV cable.

Any thoughts on this?

Edit:
                          Yeah, looks like the HDMI Cable was not in deep enough. Now it works. Didn't know that I had to push it that hard.
                          Yeah - Was just going to post (read this yesterday before your edit) that I had the same thing and found that the HDMI was not in fully - looked and felt fully inserted but a firm push seated it in about 1mm more !

Comment

Some discussion on OEM vs Custom FW temperatures over in the Magendanz ATV ROM Thread is quite interesting but is a bit off topic so I thought I should bring it over here ...

Discussion starts somewhere round here ...

Originally posted by Joelpr1234 View Post
                            Hello, any kernel with overclock capability? I see this box is limited to 1.5GHz but the S905X is capable to 2.0GHz

nice rom by the way, thanks.

They limit it to 1.5GHz to reduce the risk of over heating, and even then it runs hot, so what you think will happen at 2.0GHz?
                            and goes on via interesting Temp testing discussions and various cooling options ... to these posts

Originally posted by smrtprjcts View Post
                            Hi!
                            I added a new feature (MMC Info) into the Amlogic tool v1.0.19.
                            I hope it makes it easy to identify the problematic boxes.

Please contact me if you have any useful info for development/fix.
                            Thanks

Great
                            Good to have the eMMC check built in.

Never really tried to get auto frame rate to work but tried manual and my Amp rejected 24p mode
                            but ... Turned on Auto in your app and works a treat
                            Many thanks
                            AND ... so

With Auto Refresh rate set in Amlogic Tool

Repeating yesterdays temp tests (default 60Hz refresh rate) where Temp was ~78C the Auto Refresh Rate option seems to have helped keep the temps down.
                            CPU is not running full Hz and % load is lower too.

Ambient 18°C
                            Kodi 4K File DD5.1 - 24P Auto Refresh Rate ~63°C (varying 62-64 mostly 62)

Comment

AND ... so

With Auto Refresh rate set in Amlogic Tool

Repeating yesterdays temp tests (default 60Hz refresh rate) where Temp was ~78C the Auto Refresh Rate option seems to have helped keep the temps down.
                              CPU is not running full Hz and % load is lower too.

Ambient 18°C
                              Kodi 4K File DD5.1 - 24P Auto Refresh Rate ~63°C (varying 62-64 mostly 62)
                              So you must have SPMC 16.x installed then, because auto frame rate doesn't work in Kodi, as is stated in the thread of this app.

Comment

Working...
                              X