Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Pro + TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 2/16GB Fast Lan, WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by satyros View Post
    I just received a tv box yesterday, and it freezes every single time only a couple of minutes after turning it on. When I put a fan in front of it, it took about 5 minutes to freeze. My question is, should I return it to gearbest, or I should try to change firmware for it to stop freezing?
    Thanx in advance
    My personal opinion...

Check FW Date
    If 2017.08.29 - Do not flash any older FW - Even if GB tell you to
    I would start a DOA Service Ticket with GB

The latest FW 20170919.150557.V0619 OEM may help freezing with 08.29 boxes - Not confirmed
    There is no FW image/zip to restore a 08.29 box yet ...

I have previously posted the GB Service DOA email chain.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
      Funny thing is, the freezing boxes seem to come from GB (bad batch?), whereas the ones from BG are rock stable. Go figure.
      Strange - Could be a bad batch ????

Waiting for a BG box to see what arrives ......... Slow post!

Comment

the question is, is it a hardware problem or it can be solved with a firmware update?
        That is the BIG question ????

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post

That is the BIG question ????
          The question looks rather moot to me. I preordered a few pieces from BG and then a few more during the 11th anniv. spree. All of them came with Jul-Aug.15 firmware and there have been no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here. My dev box has been problem free, but I have two others in the packaging from other retailers. I think I'd better check 'em.

My personal opinion...

Check FW Date
          If 2017.08.29 - Do not flash any older FW - Even if GB tell you to
          I would start a DOA Service Ticket with GB

The latest FW 20170919.150557.V0619 OEM may help freezing with 08.29 boxes - Not confirmed
          There is no FW image/zip to restore a 08.29 box yet ...

I have previously posted the GB Service DOA email chain.

HTH

I will check it and come back soon

ps @Magendanz what do you suggest? (forgive me but I'm a newbie)

Comment

Strange - Could be a bad batch ????

Waiting for a BG box to see what arrives ......... Slow post!
            I have ordered one from GeekBuying, arrived today in my country, probably soon at my doorstep . Anyone received one lately? Good/Bad?

Comment

Not everyone posts the full origins of their boxes (obviously), but all the bad boxes seem to be 09.29 FW from GearBest so the bad batch theory holds for now.

A test with a new HW box from elsewhere would be interesting ....

As I have said my bad box showed symptoms before the flash: They just got much worse after.

If someone with a bad 09.29 box updates to a newer FW and that box then shows the same extreme issue, that would probably indicate that any flashing on a bad eMMC box is indeed the problem.

Bad batch theory would gain even more traction...

Comment

That worries me, just ordered one from Gearbest last week.

Comment

Originally posted by rahzel View Post
                  That worries me, just ordered one from Gearbest last week.
                  Hope they got a new, better, batch in ...

Comment

Originally posted by tinus82 View Post

I have ordered one from GeekBuying, arrived today in my country, probably soon at my doorstep . Anyone received one lately? Good/Bad?
                    I have a 2GB/16GB unit coming from Banggood, hopefully it will arrive soon. On that note, is anyone buying or having problems with the 1GB/8GB version?

Really hoping these problems are batch-related (sorry P.X. and grimmie) and not the result of Mecool making changes to the box. I've put off buying my first TV box for a very long time (I use a Roku), and this box + Magendanz' nano Nexus ROM would be perfect for what I need.

Comment

Guys,

I really need your help.

I bought a Mecool M8S pro + box 2/16gb version came with us plug from Banggood early september and it arrived yesterday. As soon as i received it i tested it out and it was fine smooth no freezing and the firmware was dated august cannot recall exact date. But the sole reason i bought this box is because it has widevine l1 and I wanted to put the nexus tv stock rom by Guest to get a android tv experience with netflix hd. So i went ahead and got the burning tool 2.0.9 and the latest tvstock rom by magendanz. Intially the box wasnt being recognised so i plugged the cable in whilst holding the button behind the front grill with a pin (not underneath there is a pin hole but no button) and the device connection was shown on amlogic burning tool. I then uploaded the image and clicked start, having ticked erase normal and bootloader...but it failed writing on the buring tool went red something about partition the box blue led went to red. While doing this i did not connect the power only the male to male usb.

So i stopped it closed it down and redone the steps again failed, tried again earlier rom failed, again it failed and I carried on eventually i didnt have to hold the button when plugging in to the burning tool it will recognise when i plug the usb. Now everytime i try it goes to 4% and fails and the reason shows unknown. The light on the front doesnt go blue its stable at red. When i plugged to my tv the light is red screen is blank remote has no effect.

At this stage i belive this box is gone but however im reading constantly and thinking maybe the firmware was dated end of august and maybe there is still hope to restore the box.

Please help me guys as I am truly stuck and out of luck.

Thanks
                      Rez

Comment

Need help

Comment

I think Magendanz's hypothesis might be correct, because, even after restoring the twrp backup of the original firmware, the issue is still happening. Probably every box from Gearbest with FW 20170829 is defective. Anyway, I accepted the 30USD refund but I agree that Gearbest should refund the entire amount.

Comment

WARNING

My TV box is indeed 20170829.121614.V0321
                            now what should aim do?
                            Any hint would be welcome

Comment

My TV box is indeed 20170829.121614.V0321
                              now what should aim do?
                              Any hint would be welcome
                              Probably do nothing !

Lots (if not all) of this build of box have freezing issues with the installed OEM ROM and fail miserably with any earlier ROM. Later ROM may also cause failure - so far undetermined.

You may want to check the physical box build is with SEC and D/X chips as in posted photo of my offending box.

If you have any freezing issue I would not do anything except start a Defective-on-Arrival service note. If tech support tell you to do an update then it is their fault if the box is borked by this.
                              Gearbest support do not seem to have up to date info and have so far told users to update using first OEM OTA zip !?

Let us know anything you find ...

Comment

Working...
                              X