Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S Pro TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xmatrix83 View Post
    videostrong support just wrote me, for an update that solves the netflix problem.
    MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

This is an OTA update for the stock rom, it would be nice to be able to integrate the patch to the ATV rom.
    Who is a videostrong support? Will it woek on any MS8 Pro( not Pro L) boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by lyubodelev View Post

Get a wireless mouse and forget about the remote (change the batteries)!
      When I went into Terrarium tv after installing 'TvStock Nexus ROM' I couldn't see the whole screen, I tried the 'force android tv size' or something in Terrarium settings but even after closing and re-opening the app it didn't make a difference. I had to go into android settings and zoom out to 90%. Is this normal for the ROM I chose? Should I try one of the other 2 ROMS i the post you linked to?

Comment

Originally posted by supashaka View Post
        When I went into Terrarium tv after installing 'TvStock Nexus ROM' I couldn't see the whole screen
        Put the aspect ratio of the tv to: Just scan!

Comment

@lyubodelev Could you help us out? Which one TV or stock would be better? Also. the link from this videostrong support seems to be dated with the latest date.

Comment

Originally posted by xmatrix83 View Post
            videostrong support just wrote me, for an update that solves the netflix problem.
            MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

This is an OTA update for the stock rom, it would be nice to be able to integrate the patch to the ATV rom.
            xmatrix83 could you post your AIDA64 -> android screenshot? Thanks

Comment

Put the aspect ratio of the tv to: Just scan!
              I couldn't find any option in either the android settings, terrarium settings or my actual tv's settings? unless you mean 'auto detect' in terrarium?

Comment

I couldn't find any option in either the android settings, terrarium settings or my actual tv's settings? unless you mean 'auto detect' in terrarium?
                He means your TV setup settings. Our TV has options for 4:3, 6:9, wide screen, pc, and Just Scan.

I set my TV input to PC, as it has the ability to connect to non standard sync levels by Video cards and UK standards, outside of US sync levels. It also allows you to screen adjust, left/right & up/down which the box does not do for you.

Just scan is an advanced feature but does not allow the adjustments that PC allows, so if Just Scan does not work out, try PC, and just from there on your TV.

Comment

Originally posted by X92-2GB View Post

He means your TV setup settings. Our TV has options for 4:3, 6:9, wide screen, pc, and Just Scan.

I set my TV input to PC, as it has the ability to connect to non standard sync levels by Video cards and UK standards, outside of US sync levels. It also allows you to screen adjust, left/right & up/down which the box does not do for you.

Just scan is an advanced feature but does not allow the adjustments that PC allows, so if Just Scan does not work out, try PC, and just from there on your TV.
                  Thanks dude, I couldn't find just scan and PC input I think would be via DVI or something dunno lol on y TV. But switching it to 'native' worked and I can now zoom back to 100%! Perhaps you could help me with 2 more Qs:

1) The box gets pretty hot, should I look up some mod tutorials to drill some holes or something? Or does the box handle it ok in general?

2) And did I install stock (it was called 'TvStock Nexus ROM')? What's the difference between the 3 ROM options? (M8S Pro Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs ) which one do people tend to prefer, pros and cons etc? Can I install the update mentioned here: or is it different to the variant I installed?

'videostrong support just wrote me, for an update that solves the netflix problem.

This is an OTA update for the stock rom, it would be nice to be able to integrate the patch to the ATV rom.'

Comment

Thanks dude, I couldn't find just scan and PC input I think would be via DVI or something dunno lol on y TV. But switching it to 'native' worked and I can now zoom back to 100%! Perhaps you could help me with 2 more Qs:

1) The box gets pretty hot, should I look up some mod tutorials to drill some holes or something? Or does the box handle it ok in general?

2) And did I install stock (it was called 'TvStock Nexus ROM')? What's the difference between the 3 ROM options? (M8S Pro Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs ) which one do people tend to prefer, pros and cons etc? Can I install the update mentioned here: or is it different to the variant I installed?

'videostrong support just wrote me, for an update that solves the netflix problem.

This is an OTA update for the stock rom, it would be nice to be able to integrate the patch to the ATV rom.'
                    As for hot, I have two boxes... One uses SCV7a ATV Alphawise which is 64bit, and the other uses MULTI_Z6BASED_ATV10. 7_DISCONTINUED 32bit. Both run around 62° C average. Though I did minor mods. The Mini M8S Pro-C has a nickel sandwiched between heat sink, instead of heat transfer pad, and the Alphawise has the logo trim plate removed to allow heat to escape.

No issues from heat as far as I can tell. If anything some issues are from the Magisk, and Xposed modules that I run, or how well updated apps run when using them.

Nano is a trimmed down version of Stock. Both are the same, just lightened up. I stick with stock as I want the best compatibility.

I also run Chrome browser, as Android 7.0 has been devolved around Chrome browser, and no longer defaults to Webview. If for some reason you prefer Firefox or have a non Chrome browser, Webview will become enabled or may require you to enable in the applications manager. The default Chrome and Webview are old, and will not play well with new apps. So you will need to update one or the other, as a requirement.

For me the 32bit ATV is best, because of its high compatibility with apps. But, with 64bit ATV there may be games and special apps that may run better if one needs such power. I consider both to be equal in real life experience.

Never used Nano, as there is no reason for me to. I assume Nano may be a wee problematic if one has over 300 various apps that range from old to new. While stock may not show much issues if at all with such a variety.

one thing that any firmware custom or stock needs, is a good tweaked build.prop and prevent running. The less background running apps with ATV the smoother things operate.

I prefer not to have lean back launcher as it is a memory hog, and eats bandwidth. Plus I don't like screen poop from channels. I do very well with TV Launcher.

The only way to OTA a patch to discontinued firmwares is to keep the original build prop with OTA ability and boot with it, along with enable automatic system updates in the developer setup menu.

Once an OTA update installs, you can revert back to ATV build.prop, and restore, remove any system apps if needed. The base system files should not effect ATV, but it is always good to use ti backup for restoring and removing system apps when small changes are needed.

Comment

As for hot, I have two boxes... One uses SCV7a ATV Alphawise which is 64bit, and the other uses MULTI_Z6BASED_ATV10. 7_DISCONTINUED 32bit. Both run around 62° C average. Though I did minor mods. The Mini M8S Pro-C has a nickel sandwiched between heat sink, instead of heat transfer pad, and the Alphawise has the logo trim plate removed to allow heat to escape.

No issues from heat as far as I can tell. If anything some issues are from the Magisk, and Xposed modules that I run, or how well updated apps run when using them.

Nano is a trimmed down version of Stock. Both are the same, just lightened up. I stick with stock as I want the best compatibility.

I also run Chrome browser, as Android 7.0 has been devolved around Chrome browser, and no longer defaults to Webview. If for some reason you prefer Firefox or have a non Chrome browser, Webview will become enabled or may require you to enable in the applications manager. The default Chrome and Webview are old, and will not play well with new apps. So you will need to update one or the other, as a requirement.

For me the 32bit ATV is best, because of its high compatibility with apps. But, with 64bit ATV there may be games and special apps that may run better if one needs such power. I consider both to be equal in real life experience.

Never used Nano, as there is no reason for me to. I assume Nano may be a wee problematic if one has over 300 various apps that range from old to new. While stock may not show much issues if at all with such a variety.

one thing that any firmware custom or stock needs, is a good tweaked build.prop and prevent running. The less background running apps with ATV the smoother things operate.

I prefer not to have lean back launcher as it is a memory hog, and eats bandwidth. Plus I don't like screen poop from channels. I do very well with TV Launcher.

The only way to OTA a patch to discontinued firmwares is to keep the original build prop with OTA ability and boot with it, along with enable automatic system updates in the developer setup menu.

Once an OTA update installs, you can revert back to ATV build.prop, and restore, remove any system apps if needed. The base system files should not effect ATV, but it is always good to use ti backup for restoring and removing system apps when small changes are needed.
                      1) People say 'stock' and I used to think that was referring to official firmware without a custom ROM? Out of the 3 ROMS I mentioned, I installed 'TvStock Nexus ROM' and the other were 'M8S Pro Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs'. Two of them have 'stock' in the name, so is mine stock? It's really confusing lol.

It's annoying that there are hardly any apps available in play store since it's android TV, but I know I can still sideload. I'm glad I didn't go for nano after you've explained it to me.

2)Do you know about overheating specifically in the m8s pro? One of your boxes is a mini version of m8s pro? And the other is something completely different?

3) I don't know if I have the 32 or 64bit ATV? Also I can't find a way to close background apps like in normal android so it runs smoother as you said?

4) Are you saying I have to revert back to official firmware to install a patch, and then reinstall ATV? The thing is I don't use netflix so maybe it's not worth the trouble for me if that's all the patch adds? I use Terrarium tv not the 'tv centre' (Kodi in disguise it seems) is that what you mean by tv launcher?

5) I use chrome, are you saying I should go into play store and update it cos I changed to ATV? Doesn't it auto update?

Comment

1) People say 'stock' and I used to think that was referring to official firmware without a custom ROM? Out of the 3 ROMS I mentioned, I installed 'TvStock Nexus ROM' and the other were 'M8S Pro Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs'. Two of them have 'stock' in the name, so is mine stock? It's really confusing lol.

It's annoying that there are hardly any apps available in play store since it's android TV, but I know I can still sideload. I'm glad I didn't go for nano after you've explained it to me.

2)Do you know about overheating specifically in the m8s pro? One of your boxes is a mini version of m8s pro? And the other is something completely different?

3) I don't know if I have the 32 or 64bit ATV? Also I can't find a way to close background apps like in normal android so it runs smoother as you said?

4) Are you saying I have to revert back to official firmware to install a patch, and then reinstall ATV? The thing is I don't use netflix so maybe it's not worth the trouble for me if that's all the patch adds? I use Terrarium tv not the 'tv centre' (Kodi in disguise it seems) is that what you mean by tv launcher?

5) I use chrome, are you saying I should go into play store and update it cos I changed to ATV? Doesn't it auto update?
                        Answers...

1) if you flash anything away from what your box has installed, outside of factory updates, all firmwares are custom. The Dev made his firmware based on Stock Nexus, which means your making your box a Nexus compatible clone. Not truly stock, as you cannot update with nexus firmware.

2) nope, dont have the box, but many have gone all out and made mods to their heat sink and boxes. If your box feels too hot, meaning uncomfortable to hold, then there may be some issue with improper heat sink cooling, or a bad app. My mods are simple and have not been a problem for me.

3) only SuperCeleron and stock V6 board H96 pro+ box firmwares are 64bit. I placed the info for others to understand there are differences between firmwares and how they function.

Ti backup is wonderful for maintaining apps. You can freeze or remove system apps. Make user apps into system apps. Backup originals and protect them from being over written, when backing up more recent apks. Plus transfer various system settings and app settings when freshly installing new firmware.

as for making sure apps close... prevent running requires xposed. You can make sure chrome and installed apps that are not required to run in background actually shut down when exiting.
                        its so much better than greenify, especially on phones and tablets.

you can download key mapper and recover the ability of task manager using long press of home button.

4) No, just the build.prop swap once you have had ATV running, and find an late OTA for your orignal firmware. I had a late update img of recent, but the OTA zip has not been released, so next month or so, i plan on updating with the build.prop swap. Though you must have kept an original build.prop before flashing the ATV.

5) i never allow auto updates in play store or any Android app. I assume many here so the same. That is why i said to update, as some don't bother with system apps already loaded, besides disabling them

Comment

Answers...

1) if you flash anything away from what your box has installed, outside of factory updates, all firmwares are custom. The Dev made his firmware based on Stock Nexus, which means your making your box a Nexus compatible clone. Not truly stock, as you cannot update with nexus firmware.

2) nope, dont have the box, but many have gone all out and made mods to their heat sink and boxes. If your box feels too hot, meaning uncomfortable to hold, then there may be some issue with improper heat sink cooling, or a bad app. My mods are simple and have not been a problem for me.

3) only SuperCeleron and stock V6 board H96 pro+ box firmwares are 64bit. I placed the info for others to understand there are differences between firmwares and how they function.

Ti backup is wonderful for maintaining apps. You can freeze or remove system apps. Make user apps into system apps. Backup originals and protect them from being over written, when backing up more recent apks. Plus transfer various system settings and app settings when freshly installing new firmware.

as for making sure apps close... prevent running requires xposed. You can make sure chrome and installed apps that are not required to run in background actually shut down when exiting.
                          its so much better than greenify, especially on phones and tablets.

you can download key mapper and recover the ability of task manager using long press of home button.

4) No, just the build.prop swap once you have had ATV running, and find an late OTA for your orignal firmware. I had a late update img of recent, but the OTA zip has not been released, so next month or so, i plan on updating with the build.prop swap. Though you must have kept an original build.prop before flashing the ATV.

5) i never allow auto updates in play store or any Android app. I assume many here so the same. That is why i said to update, as some don't bother with system apps already loaded, besides disabling them
                          Wow you seem to know loads about this stuff! I'm still confused, when people ask if I'm on 'stock'. am I? stock doesn't mean official firmware right?

Also whats a build.prop, is it a backup using TWRP? That's the only backup program I know lol!

Comment

Wow you seem to know loads about this stuff! I'm still confused, when people ask if I'm on 'stock'. am I? stock doesn't mean official firmware right?

Also whats a build.prop, is it a backup using TWRP? That's the only backup program I know lol!
                            Stock is what came on the box, with or without a stock OTA zip update or official (as you put it) upgrade img.

Build.prop is a file that Is part of the system. It gets backed up when backing up the system in twrp. But I am not sure if you can copy only the build.prop from a twrp recovery backup.

I use a file manager with root access to copy and move files into the system root folder. This way I can save various files and folders to USB, and visa-versa.

Comment

Here is a 64-bt ATV firmware, which can be installed on Mecool M8S Pro:

Comment

Stock is what came on the box, with or without a stock OTA zip update or official (as you put it) upgrade img.

Build.prop is a file that Is part of the system. It gets backed up when backing up the system in twrp. But I am not sure if you can copy only the build.prop from a twrp recovery backup.

I use a file manager with root access to copy and move files into the system root folder. This way I can save various files and folders to USB, and visa-versa.

Here is a 64-bt ATV firmware, which can be installed on Mecool M8S Pro:
                                http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...ost&p=71080320

Good to know for the future, but I guess I'll stick with 32bit for now for better compatibility as x92 described.

Next question: My tv is 50Hz, but it seems to be running fine even though in the Android settings it's set at 1080p 60Hz. Should I change it to 50? Will it give a less pixelated picture etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X