Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL KM8 Google Certified Android TV Box with Voice Remote - S905X Android 8.0 2/16GB VP9 HDR10 Dolby Audio YT 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=The Brain;n772224]Thanks MiXAL for the update files and mo123 for the reports.

I used a USB drive for it and now my KM8 is updated to Android TV 9 (Pie) with 2019 February security patch. The system version itself is dated from 2019-March-15.

The NTFS support makes it worth for me, even that I had to give up the unlocked bootloader and the possibility to run CoreELEC/LibreELEC, as I had no plans to make use of it in the near feature.

It's placed in my son's bedroom but now I may exchange it with the Mi Box placed in the living room whenever I like.

For Netflix I have a Fire TV Stick that I can move together with it.

My HDD is connected to the router but I like to be able to plug it directly to the box if I need to. [/QUOTE

I have an 8 Tbyte, external powered, USB 3 hard drive, attached to my routers USB 3 port, and it works great, and is accessible to any networked device. Why do you want to relocate it from your router to your box??
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
      I have an 8 Tbyte, external powered, USB 3 hard drive, attached to my routers USB 3 port, and it works great, and is accessible to any networked device. Why do you want to relocate it from your router to your box??
      It's not that I want to, but if I need to, in the case the router gets overloaded by someone else in the house streaming from the internet. It happened already and I dealt with it by plugging the HDD directly to the box (Mi Box 3).

Note that here almost all the devices are connected to the network through Wi-Fi, not Ethernet cable.

---

About the system update, I've noted that there are now more audio output options, for those of you who have an AVR.

I'll see if I can take a screenshot later.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post

It's not that I want to, but if I need to, in the case the router gets overloaded by someone else in the house streaming from the internet. It happened already and I dealt with it by plugging the HDD directly to the box (Mi Box 3).

Note that here almost all the devices are connected to the network through Wi-Fi, not Ethernet cable.

---

About the system update, I've noted that there are now more audio output options, for those of you who have an AVR.

I'll see if I can take a screenshot later.
        The audio options are there, but they don't work.
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

I have a strange issue. I was able to burn successfully but when it starts it says bluetooth is initializing. Please hold the remote - and OK button close by. I have tried everything but it does not go past that screen. I have also tried to see if the box will pair with an iPhone. But it does not come up. Any other suggestions how to get past this screen?

Comment

I've been through a similar situation.

As I remember, I managed to "pair" the remote via IR first, and only after the system start that I could pair it via Bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
              I've been through a similar situation.

As I remember, I managed to "pair" the remote via IR first, and only after the system start that I could pair it via Bluetooth.
              Could you describe what you did? The remote works via IR and I am able to increase or decrease volume, etc. But cannot go past that screen. What button or combination you pressed on the IR remote to go past that screen? Do you recall? Thanks for your help.

Comment

I don't recall exactly what I did, but I think I pressed the very same keys it asks us to, but pointing the IR emitter on top of the remote to the receiver in front of the box.

Comment

With this new firmware this KM8 is quite perfect now.
                  Compared to previous version:
                  + Stays on wifi
                  + no need to reboot after it has been running for a while
                  Those were the only annoyances I had with original firmware.

Comment

I compared the Android Pie firmware with my custom AndroidTV Oreo firmware for RK3328 and couldn't believe how much the KM8 lags.
                    AndroidTV Menu navigation is almost 5x faster and smoother on my RK3328, both devices using A53 1.5Ghz quad-core processors.
                    I only use the KM8 sometimes for Amazon or Google Certified apps and nothing else as it just feels slow with no firmware love given to it.

Comment

I need dtb.img for libreelec or coreelec.

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by axionflow View Post
                        I need dtb.img for libreelec or coreelec.

Thank You
                        When you create the bootable microSD card using LibreELEC/CoreEEC, there will be a DTB folder created with multiple device trees, pick the one you need.

Comment

No working.

Comment

Originally posted by axionflow View Post
                            No working.
                            Mecool KM8 box boots and works fine on CE 9.0.2 using ?gxl_p212_2g.dtb?.
                            If this .dtb does not work for you then you probably have a new box version that has Android 9.0 preinstalled. This version has LOCKED boot loader and you cannot install CE on it.

The only way to get CE is to flash your box with an older Android 8.0 version firmware (it can be found on Freaktab forum 3) and then you can install CE on SD card?

Comment

Thank you, clarkss12 for all the info. Before making the decision to upgrade to Android 9, try several dtg.img on the coreElec page. None works for me. I could enter kodi but the network or the bluethoo was not enabled. I bought this box in amazon for $ 30 and my interest was only for kodi. If you could share your dtb.img file, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Install coreElec with a pendrive. I ask, can this be the reason why I did not recognize the wifi and bluethoo drivers?

Comment

Working...
                                X