No announcement yet.

Rom: Android Pie for S912

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port_SLIMBOX-ATV-TANIX-TX9S-v8.3.2_to_Z69 + (LPDDR3)

Fast response on desktop and apps.
    Memory management is ok 800MB free...fully loaded (either...XVortex 7.2(?) or maybe Z95 mod(?) had consistent 1.7 GB free?)
    Playstore works properly.
    Picture in picture works(Youtube anyways)
    Split screen works with most apps.
    My WiFi hits 30+ Mbps..(average 4 Mbps- so far away from router- currently unstable)
    Microsoft Launcher works
    Live wallpaper works (Daily Bing)
    On has Blue Light, Off has no light.
    CEC works? (When disabled- turning on T.V. does not start/ restart China Box)
    Has TWRP recovery.
    Brightness controls work for desktop (have not tested movies)

Cons.
    Downloads seems to struggle with more that 1 file at a time
    External 3 TB hard drive speed is poor and inconsistent (Pie? typical 200- 300 KBs up to occasional 5 MB transfers if you restart the H.D. ??? Pie not reporting numbers accurately??)
    Had to copy/ past keyboard .kl files from another Rom (SC-Pie) to get all keys working(2-3 were wrong for Rii i8+)
    Still trying to test video/iptv stream...(poor WiFi....poor streaming)
    Viper4Android needs manual install of codecs

If I have time, I may jot more findings.

2020-10-03 Just stopped my movie to post how good Viper4Android works. I also tried Loudness expander...I had to turn down volume.
    Be sure to install the codecs from Slimbox's telegram site: https://t.me/s/slim_box
    His YouTube channel shows where to install.

YouTube:
    1080p occasional micro-pause (buffering or Pie quirks)
    2K seems to play ok (minus my buffering).
    4k was jerky (buffering made it too difficult to test)
    Last edited by ReaperMan; 10-04-2020, 02:52.

Comment

I have not used the slimbox... I wonder what the build.prop has in it for memory management. You could swap out the settings with a more refined build.prop from SC or others.

here is a wee bit of settings used on one of the builds to compare with

ro.hwui.texture_cache_size=64.0f
      dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=16m
      dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=192m
      dalvik.vm.heapsize=512m
      dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
      dalvik.vm.heapminfree=512k
      dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m

if your settings are on the high side like this, you can lower the settings to be like this

ro.hwui.texture_cache_size=64.0f
      dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
      dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=192m
      dalvik.vm.heapsize=384m
      dalvik.vm.heapminfree=256k
      dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=4m

if you can test with itv hub app, to see if you can play video, it may work with live 360 wallpaper and 360 video, with all the AR and VR additions. I did a lot of side loaded apps on a boot loader locked cheap LG phone with 9.0 and it's now the equivalent of mid range phones with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Thanks for info.
        Might tweak build.prop during weekend.

Comment

Current Build.prop, do not see texture_cache.

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=256m
          ro.af.client_heap_size_kbyte=1536
          dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
          dalvik.vm.heapsize=384m

Info from Androidforums.com
          mtrantalainen
          Are you sure about those configs? The way I've understood those parameters is as follows:
          • dalvik.vm.heapstartsize is the amount of RAM given to Dalvik/ART virtual machine for normal apps at the app start. If the app actually uses more than dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization of the RAM, the heap size is increased during each GC (Garbage Collect) cycle. The dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit sets the maximum limit for the amount of RAM given to Dalvik/ART virtual machine for normal apps. If you set dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit too low, normal apps will be killed when the virtual machine runs out of memory. Setting dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit slightly too low causes apps to run slower than normal because GC cycles need to be too often. If you set dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit too high, the system can run only a few apps at once. Note that this may cause high battery drain because if your workload requires running total of 6 apps (e.g. you have multiple instant message apps running) but the system can only run 5 apps because you set dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit too high.
          • The dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization setting also works the other way around. If an app uses less actual memory than dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization times current heap size then Dalvik/ART will try to compress the memory and free some RAM. You can think dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization as a setting how accurately the RAM should be used. If you set this to 0.25, you tell the system that up to 75% of RAM can be wasted as a tradeoff to reduce CPU usage. If you have a device where you have more CPU power than actual RAM, it might make sense to increase this setting.
          • The dalvik.vm.heapminfree setting defines minimum amount of RAM inside a virtual machine for each app regardless of dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization. You can think this as amount of RAM that VM tries to keep free to be ready for any allocation in the near future. When app asks for more RAM, it will take RAM directly from this free memory block and continue processing if this block was big enough. The VM will increase up to dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit in the background to keep dalvik.vm.heapminfree free while the app keeps going if possible. Setting this too high will waste RAM all the time. Setting this too low will cause any RAM allocation to always ask for RAM from the linux kernel which is slower than using the preallocated block.
          • The dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree setting defines maximum amount of RAM inside a virtual machine for each app regardless of dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization. You can think this as maximum amount of RAM that VM is wiling to waste at all times.
          • The dalvik.vm.heapsize is extra max limit for apps that are marked as Large in the app manifest.

Comment

Off topic,

Android AOSP 11(Android 10 runs slower) is under testing (905x3?).

Notes about tinkering with Android Project Treble. Contribute to phhusson/treble_experimentations development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

when will ATV 10 be released for s912 so we don't have to struggle with 9?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamengc View Post
                when will ATV 10 be released for s912 so we don't have to struggle with 9?
                I love 9.0 and won't go any further. I will post my 9.0 phone build.prop and my modded for my own use build.properties

also I found my issues with old tv and cec. While back I must of missued ticking erase boot loader when doing a dirty flash from BOX6D to h96 pro plus mod v8a. Thus and odd issue fighting both cec and recovery loading issues.

now that I have a proper dirty flash, things ironed out. So the only issue is some screen flicker with mouse on some apps.

to fix the screen flicker, which kills some apps, is to turn off overlays in developer. I am surprised nobody has complained about apps having issues with the screen flicker fix with most builds.

Note most 9.0 builds have three important build.prop settings in vendor for some reason.

Comment

Lost my build.prop for my LG phone, July security update blew up any access to it from Solid Explorer, may try ADB some time, but I doubt that is enabled. Before then copying it over to sd card was done, but I must have dumped it after finding out I did not need to mod anything in the system. I am sure one could search online for a build.prop from a 9.0 phone to obtain proper memory settings. Though LG is hard to find, as it is a slim modded ASOP, compared to Samsung which uses more memory for touch wiz or Samsung Experiance.

once I am done tweaking my memory options, i will post. I started high, and am slowly working on down. The values used below are too low for v8a and usage.

Here are what was used on either BOX6D or the Vietnamese build, which is v7a. Pretty snappy, but I am testing with larger values on the v8a apps and a large amount of memory resident tv apps.

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=160m
                  dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=4m
                  dalvik.vm.heapsize=224m
                  dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=4m

PS, all the apps I have had issues with... 7plus, itv hub and some others, now function just fine. There was a few apps recently updated and released 7Plus was one of them. Peacock is not working as of yet. Reminds me of a few years back with ATV Youtube not able to run properly on these boxes. Took a bloody hell amount of time for Google to get it right after it mucked with it. HA!

Comment

After some work with my own memory settings. Which goes beyond will want, and being arm64 v8a os, it may be a bit higher on settings than you will need.

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=170m
                    dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=16m
                    dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
                    dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=12m

My box seems as snappy as it could be with all my various US, UK, and AU ATV apps running. Some of which stay memory resident, like Xfinity Stream. I can't gaurantee any improvement as your firmware is arm v7a.

Comment

After a wee bit more tweaking, with testing activities soon after boot. I found the settings below allow much better multi-tasking under load. It allows Xfinity Stream TV to load much faster. Also I noticed memory allows my huge hosts file to load fully, without waiting a minute or more after boot. So I figured this may be a good starting point until more fine tuning.

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=172m
                      dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
                      dalvik.vm.heapsize=284m

Comment

Originally posted by ppromo47 View Post

I have Tx92 3/32 LP RAM.
                        I managed to get the TWRP working do you know if Magisk will work? and GAPPS 64 bit?

EDIT :
                        • Recovery goes back stock after reboot
                        • Magisk work, i was able to install.
                        • I was able to flash GAPPS 64 bit Android 9, but I lost launcher, using google assistant i was able to launch play store and install alternate launcher
                        • Link to TWRP

Did you flash this on TX92 LPDDR?`

hertz_upgrade_package_pie_2_3g_qca9377_lpddr3.tar. xz (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEb...g9WgUVXwn/view)

Comment

Originally posted by soldiaz View Post

Did you flash this on TX92 LPDDR?`

hertz_upgrade_package_pie_2_3g_qca9377_lpddr3.tar. xz (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEb...g9WgUVXwn/view)
                          What happened was I did not check erase bootloader when flashing the above firmware over BOX6D. Which caused me to use the wrong boot loader and boot when restoring recovery along with what I backed up. Never backed up the proper images, only stock recovery. Though you can just restore the BOX6D stock recovery on the above firmware without need with other images to restore. I was fighting improper backups, which drove me around in circles.

since I replying I think my new memory settings will be left at what is now currently used. Seems to be tye sweet spot for my current setup with the above firmware. Shown below

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=188m
                          dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
                          dalvik.vm.heapsize=286m

Comment

Originally posted by X92-2GB View Post
                            What happened was I did not check erase bootloader when flashing the above firmware over BOX6D. Which caused me to use the wrong boot loader and boot when restoring recovery along with what I backed up. Never backed up the proper images, only stock recovery. Though you can just restore the BOX6D stock recovery on the above firmware without need with other images to restore. I was fighting improper backups, which drove me around in circles.
                            since I replying I think my new memory settings will be left at what is now currently used. Seems to be tye sweet spot for my current setup with the above firmware. Shown below

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=188m
                            dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
                            dalvik.vm.heapsize=286m
                            For 3GB ram I personally like:

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=384m
                            dalvik.vm.heapsize=640m
                            dalvik.vm.heapminfree=2m
                            dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m

More of a Gaming/Performance load on the RAM.

Tip: If you install the apk L-Speed by Paget96 from Github, you can load the apps various Ram profiles "Gaming/Balanced/Multitasking" and it will output the changes done to your Ram Heap profile in the apps internal Log, to have an ideal setting baseline according to the devices ram size to reference and can adjust from there. Note L-Speed needs Root access.

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperMan View Post
                              Port_SLIMBOX-ATV-TANIX-TX9S-v8.3.2_to_Z69 + (LPDDR3)

Fast response on desktop and apps.
                              Memory management is ok 800MB free...fully loaded (either...XVortex 7.2(?) or maybe Z95 mod(?) had consistent 1.7 GB free?)
                              Playstore works properly.
                              Picture in picture works(Youtube anyways)
                              My WiFi hits 30+ Mbps..(average 4 Mbps- so far away from router currently unstable)
                              Microsoft Launcher works
                              Live wallpaper works (Daily Bing)
                              On has Blue Light, Off has no light.
                              CEC works? (When disabled- turning on T.V. does not start/ restart China Box)
                              Has TWRP recovery.

Cons.
                              External Hard drive speed seem inconsistent (Pie? typical 200- 300 KBs up to occasional 5 MB transfers??? Pie not reporting numbers accurately??)
                              Had to copy/ past keyboard .kl files from another Rom (SC-Pie) to get all keys working(2-3 were wrong for Rii i8+)
                              Still trying to test video/iptv stream...(poor WiFi....poor streaming)
                              Viper4Android needs manual install of codecs

If I have time, I may jot more findings.
                              Can you help me add driver Wifi chip RTL8723BS

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

For 3GB ram I personally like:

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=384m
                                dalvik.vm.heapsize=640m
                                dalvik.vm.heapminfree=2m
                                dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m

More of a Gaming/Performance load on the RAM.

Tip: If you install the apk L-Speed by Paget96 from Github, you can load the apps various Ram profiles "Gaming/Balanced/Multitasking" and it will output the changes done to your Ram Heap profile in the apps internal Log, to have an ideal setting baseline according to the devices ram size to reference and can adjust from there. Note L-Speed needs Root access.
                                Hi! Thanks for the tip. My system is a 3gb system. Though the build is not cleaned up. I don't think any v8a build is. Seems like there is a lot of developer left overs, like lib files and folders placed through out the system. Probably would release 500mb just in some clean up.

my system is purely ATV in its use. Though some apps are phone, due to lack of atv support. I may try out the higher settings youposted, and see how it goes. Seems like if I go too high I notice some slowness, but it may be that I did not go far enough for eualization of the memory parameters.

Comment

Working...
                                X