X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strix View Post
    What do I use to check temp??
    According to your needs, you can use either a software based solution as HWMonitor (internal temperatures reported by the processor), or a hardware based solution as an Infrared Thermometer (real external temperatures ±2°C).

HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, powers, currents, fans speed, utilizations, clock speeds ... The program handles : CPU and GPU-level hardware monitoring LPCIO chips with monitoring features (ITE® IT87 series, Winbond® and Nuvoton® ICs) memory modules with thermal sensors SSD / hard disks via S.M.A.R.T. batteries and more ...

Comment

you also can use a 5V/2A power supply to low the temperate, X7 can boot and run well with a 5V power supply. My unmod X7 reach >85C with 12V when watching HD youtube but <80C with a 5V supply.

Comment

I have just opened my Pipo X7 and found that there is something stuck on the CPU / RAM shielding.
        I looks like a black metallic sheet, but there is a plastic sheet between it and the shielding.

Someone knows what it? I didn't see it on any pics posted on this thread?!!
        Should I remove the plastic sheet? It does not seem good for heat transfer...
        Attached Files

Comment

I had the same. Its just a way to stick the metalplate on the motherboard i think. i trew it away after i modded with new heatsinks

Comment

Heatsink modding

I have done a temporary mod to the pipo while awaiting thermal adhesive and pad. I placed a single 25x25x15 mil heat sink on top of cpu's metal plate and secured it by reassembling the box. The screws on the motherboard hold it securely to the heatsink when tightened. The Heat sink is on top and touches the the aluminum box when secured by reassembly. I then placed an approximately 40x40x5 mil thermal pad on bottom like Scooby-Doo. With 1, 15 mil high heat sink, the motherboard doesn't seem to bend, although it is tight which is a necessity with my mod. My box is now running at 41 Celsius at startup as compared to 50 Celsius before mod. On my machine Screensaver was running at 79 Celsius vs 56 Celsius now. My question is what should normal temperatures be? Do I need to lower the temperature more?
            Last edited by smokie171; 03-01-2015, 14:49. Reason: errors

Comment

Originally posted by CRi View Post
              I have just opened my Pipo X7 and found that there is something stuck on the CPU / RAM shielding.
              I looks like a black metallic sheet, but there is a plastic sheet between it and the shielding.

Someone knows what it? I didn't see it on any pics posted on this thread?!!
              Should I remove the plastic sheet? It does not seem good for heat transfer...
              If you look at the metal plates of all other similar devices, including all tablets, there is this same black material stuck over the metal plates. This is some sort of a thermal pad. I guess it is needed to be in place, unless you adjust heat sinks directly on the metal plate.

Originally posted by smokie171 View Post
              I have done a temporary mod to the pipo while awaiting thermal adhesive and pad. I placed a single 25x25x15 mil heat sink on top of cpu's metal plate and secured it by reassembling the box. The screws on the motherboard hold it securely to the heatsink when tightened. The Heat sink is on top and touches the the aluminum box when secured by reassembly. I then placed an approximately 40x40x5 mil thermal pad on bottom like Scooby-Doo. With 1, 15 mil high heat sink, the motherboard doesn't seem to bend, although it is tight which is a necessity with my mod. My box is now running at 41 Celsius at startup as compared to 50 Celsius before mod. On my machine Screensaver was running at 79 Celsius vs 56 Celsius now. My question is what should normal temperatures be? Do I need to lower the temperature more?
              You may temporarily reopen your box and apply some NON CONDUCTIVE/CAPACITIVE regular thermal paste between the heat sink and the metal plate. That will make the thermal connection way more efficient.

There are some tiny holes on the metal plate, so you cannot use Arctic Silver 5, because it may enter the holes and short some circuits underneath. The chances of this happening are close to zero, but better be on the safe side.

Make sure that the heat sink cannot slip out of its place, because it will short some circuits and fry your device.

Comment

Heatsink modding

Do I need to remove plastic over metal plate, I am using a heat sink placed on top of plastic currently. I do not yet have thermal adhesive pads. How do I remove metal plate to place thermal adhesive pad on cpu. Do I just pry it off carefully?

Comment

Originally posted by Pelliculart View Post
                  Hi guys (and ladies),

i'm happy to say i've resolved all my temperatures trouble with your kind advices. A special thank's to ScoobyDoo ^^

No more talk, just pictures :

And the CPU temperature and now 45 degrees when they were at 85 degrees in the same time.

And after 4 hours of stress, the CPU never go up to 70 degrees, excellent !

Used only 3 tools :
                  One thermal pad : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0051C287K
                  thermal adhesive : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B006WXOV7W
                  heatskins : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008LZO3NQ
                  So, you used 1mm thermal pad for the underside of the mainboard. Does it make contact with tye bottom plate, because everyone seems to suggest that 5mm is needed...

Comment

Do I need to remove plastic over metal plate, I am using a heat sink placed on top of plastic currently. I do not yet have thermal adhesive pads. How do I remove metal plate to place thermal adhesive pad on cpu. Do I just pry it off carefully?
                    Since it is a temporary solution, you can leave it as it is for now, to avoid any accidents.

Beware! You do not have to use adhesive pads! There are at least two reasons to avoid using adhesive pads, the first one being that you will not be able to remove the metal plate easily, and the second one being that adhesive pads are less efficient than regular pads.

Comment

Originally posted by kgian76 View Post
                      So, you used 1mm thermal pad for the underside of the mainboard. Does it make contact with tye bottom plate, because everyone seems to suggest that 5mm is needed...

There is no contact, but it seem like 2, 3 degrees better than nothing, with my 1mm.
                      But maybe you are right i'll be quite better with 5mm.

I hear any idea if someone had try 1mm and 5mm, and a suggestion of 5mm pad that I can buy (on amazon for exemple).

Comment

I re modded my pipo. I used artic silver 5 and coated the alum plate. Then added 2, 25 x 25 x 15 mm heatsinks. Added another peace of 5 mm thermal to power supply and voila. Under prime stress test here are the results Temps averaged around 53-55 Celsius after a half hour.

Comment

Thanks to Loko for the insight and help. Thanks to Scooby-Doo for your mod, as you can tell I modeled my mod after yours.

Comment

heatsink

Just posted this in a different thread - I had some spare heatsinks left over from a modified graphics card cooler, stuck them on with thermal glue and get 63oC (use CPU burn). Just peel back the film and stick on with thermal grease. Could get better with a little more effort but that temp is well within spec.

Comment

Thanks to Loko for the insight and help. Thanks to Scooby-Doo for your mod, as you can tell I modeled my mod after yours.
                              You´re welcome.

Very good temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
                                Says Z3735F - for CPU type of the mainboard. But Z3735f is plugged.
                                Sorry, did you mean Z3736f is plugged?

Comment

Working...
                                X