X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vermillion
    replied
    Originally posted by wpb View Post
    It sounds like with your emulated setup you are the definitive expert on the topic.

I'm so glad to run across someone that knows so definitively that these work. What a great relief to learn that it's just my four boxes that are bad, and the entire remainder of the world has no issue.

Being that you've got so much background on this, can you show me the information of all the others ("everyone") posting about how the S89 802B works great with the S82 builds? I didn't realize that everyone is running around posting about how the remote works great on the S802B S89 box and I'm the only one with the issue, and worse yet, that I happened to get FOUR boxes with this same problem.
    As far as I can see MikeD was just trying to help.
    Sarcasm will not help progress this thread, we all need to help each other to obtain the best out of our devices.

Leave a comment:

• clarkss12
    replied
    You know, I was hoping the s812 would be an upgrade, but so far I don't see it. At all. Sometime I feel like the UI is going faster than on the s802 boxes, but then I wonder if it's just a placebo effect.

One thing I've learned about buying Amlogic devices, if you want to run builds of XBMC, I cannot recommend the following enough: buy devices shown on geekbuying.com -- I'm not advocating that you buy from geekbuying at all, I personally buy from Amazon more often. It just seems that the devices sold by geekbuying eventually become the most popular/devices which ROM's are built.

For this reason I had tested two s812's, the geekbuying CX-S806 and the altered M8 (square) box they sell on Amazon, sold under "Tronfy".

I have not been able to get the s806/s812 ROM to install on the "Tronfy". The geekbuying works great.

s812's are about the same price as the s802 boxes, so there really is no down side to buying them, however, I don't really see an upside with one exception, you get a third USB port.

That reminds me, if you buy a s812 box, most of them require a USB-A to USB-A cable in order to get console (one of their USB ports is dedicated to working as a console port). I my case the Amazon "Superspeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Type A Male" cable was the best quality/price option I could find.

Oh this again reminds me .. the s812's seem to be a bit more finicky to get into recovery-mode, which is why you may need the console cable sooner rather than later!

Hope that helps :-)
    Thanks for that valuable information. I thought the S812's would be faster, so I will wait for the next generation.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeD View Post
    I don't know why it doesn't work for you but don't say that it doesn't work at all.
    It sounds like with your emulated setup you are the definitive expert on the topic.

I'm so glad to run across someone that knows so definitively that these work. What a great relief to learn that it's just my four boxes that are bad, and the entire remainder of the world has no issue.

Being that you've got so much background on this, can you show me the information of all the others ("everyone") posting about how the S89 802B works great with the S82 builds? I didn't realize that everyone is running around posting about how the remote works great on the S802B S89 box and I'm the only one with the issue, and worse yet, that I happened to get FOUR boxes with this same problem.

Leave a comment:

• MikeD
    replied
    I have four (4) of the actual devices, and while it is indeed the same remote, it is a different chipset (802-H). For whatever reason, that must make a difference. Because on all four devices, I can use the Android ROM just fine, but cannot use ANY version of the OpenElec s82 builds.

If you don't have the actual device, please don't suggest that I'm wrong, simply because you've emulated the partition scheme and noticed the remotes are identical. There are other issues at work. Perhaps the IR-receiver (or way the chipset handles it) is different on the 802-H builds, I don't know. All I do know is that I have four devices and they are not working with the S82 builds.

I also have two S812 devices which work great with the Russian builds, for those interested in which device to buy.
    I use a harmony remote with preset of Tronsmart Vega (now pivos preset). It doesn't matter if I have original remote or harmony which send same ir signals.
    You're the only one who said that his remote doesn't work. Everybody else have no problems. I know that in some russian development builds wake up did not work, but in all other releases it does.

Every build uses a remote.conf which defines what remote signals gets recognized from the ir receiver. So it does NOT matter which device is used or chip is built in. You could also use other remotes with same device if you change the remote.conf.
    I don't know why it doesn't work for you but don't say that it doesn't work at all.

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
    Which S812 boxes, and are they much better/faster than the S802 boxes. I have the S89H and it works great, but thinking about getting one of the S812 boxes.
    You know, I was hoping the s812 would be an upgrade, but so far I don't see it. At all. Sometime I feel like the UI is going faster than on the s802 boxes, but then I wonder if it's just a placebo effect.

One thing I've learned about buying Amlogic devices, if you want to run builds of XBMC, I cannot recommend the following enough: buy devices shown on geekbuying.com -- I'm not advocating that you buy from geekbuying at all, I personally buy from Amazon more often. It just seems that the devices sold by geekbuying eventually become the most popular/devices which ROM's are built.

For this reason I had tested two s812's, the geekbuying CX-S806 and the altered M8 (square) box they sell on Amazon, sold under "Tronfy".

I have not been able to get the s806/s812 ROM to install on the "Tronfy". The geekbuying works great.

s812's are about the same price as the s802 boxes, so there really is no down side to buying them, however, I don't really see an upside with one exception, you get a third USB port.

That reminds me, if you buy a s812 box, most of them require a USB-A to USB-A cable in order to get console (one of their USB ports is dedicated to working as a console port). I my case the Amazon "Superspeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Type A Male" cable was the best quality/price option I could find.

Oh this again reminds me .. the s812's seem to be a bit more finicky to get into recovery-mode, which is why you may need the console cable sooner rather than later!

Hope that helps :-)

Leave a comment:

• clarkss12
    replied
    I have four (4) of the actual devices, and while it is indeed the same remote, it is a different chipset (802-H). For whatever reason, that must make a difference. Because on all four devices, I can use the Android ROM just fine, but cannot use ANY version of the OpenElec s82 builds.

If you don't have the actual device, please don't suggest that I'm wrong, simply because you've emulated the partition scheme and noticed the remotes are identical. There are other issues at work. Perhaps the IR-receiver (or way the chipset handles it) is different on the 802-H builds, I don't know. All I do know is that I have four devices and they are not working with the S82 builds.

I also have two S812 devices which work great with the Russian builds, for those interested in which device to buy.
    Which S812 boxes, and are they much better/faster than the S802 boxes. I have the S89H and it works great, but thinking about getting one of the S812 boxes.

Thanks for the information you gave.

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    I have a clone of this device with 8GB (MEasy) and the remote does work. Btw it's the same remote, so it doesn't matter what device you have.

Leave a comment:

• MikeD
    replied
    I have a clone of this device with 8GB (MEasy) and the remote does work. Btw it's the same remote, so it doesn't matter what device you have.

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    Originally posted by ccadi View Post
    I have tronsmart vega s89H
    Okay, you evidently got lucky. That is less common (the s802-H chipset) and more expensive.

I am referring to the basic S89 (S89B, using Amlogic s802-B) which is the more common device, by a significant margin.

To summarize for others, the S89 (2GB/8GB aka Elite aka S89B) remotes do not work with @CodeSnake or Russion S82 builds.

I would love/donate for an S89 remote patch.

Leave a comment:

• ccadi
    replied
    I have tronsmart vega s89H

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    Originally posted by ccadi View Post
    No idea why you remote does'nt work with these releases, my S89 works with them all and brings it back from power save on 5.0.5
    To confirm, you have the *round* Tronsmart S89 "Elite" box (2 GB / 8 GB), looks like this?

Leave a comment:

• ccadi
    replied
    @MikeD, you had mentioned this before and on your advice I tried them all. I tried every one of their S82 images, including the newest 5.0.5. The S89 remote does not work with any of the Russian S82 releases.

Of course, remote config's do not work for bringing it back from power-save.
    No idea why you remote does'nt work with these releases, my S89 works with them all and brings it back from power save on 5.0.5

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    On www.amlinux.ru/image you can find different images for S82 (S89) round devices. Working without problem here (OE 5.0.3).
    @MikeD, you had mentioned this before and on your advice I tried them all. I tried every one of their S82 images, including the newest 5.0.5. The S89 remote does not work with any of the Russian S82 releases.

Of course, remote config's do not work for bringing it back from power-save.

@JustMe has a remote-patch he released for several boxes, if there was any way to do this for the S89 (round s802's) it would be excellent.

Leave a comment:

• MikeD
    replied
    On www.amlinux.ru/image you can find different images for S82 (S89) round devices. Working without problem here (OE 5.0.3).

Leave a comment:

• wpb
    replied
    Originally posted by JustMe View Post
    OpenElec Ported for EM8 1/11/2014
    @JustMe,
    Because Codesnake does not offer a round-s802 build (nor does the Russian developer), your S89 ROM is the only option available for those of us with round boxes.

Judging from your ROM's website, it looks like you may be focusing on EM8's, no longer updating the S89 version, is that true?

If so, is there any chance you could publish a remote-patcher for the round-s802's that will enable the native-remote to work on @Codesnake's build?

Thank you in advance!
    wpb

Leave a comment:

Working...
X