This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kszaq View Post
    If you want to use OE, you have to download m201d build. At the moment there is an issue with the box freezing on video playback, I'll be posting a new build quite soon that fixes it.

I would say 1GB SD card is way too small for OE/LE. What happens when you write an SD card image is: 2 partitions are created: first 512MB for kernel and system image and second one - very tiny - for user data. On first boot the second partition is extended to maximum possible size, i.e. SD card capacity - 512MiB. That means that with 1GB SD card you have a bit less than 450MiB for data (this is 1 000 000 000 bytes minus 536870912 bytes for the first partition). To update via tar you need at least twice the tar size of free space - it needs to be unpacked somewhere! You can see how much free space is left in Kodi System Information screen - the second partition of your SD card is /dev/mmcblk0p2.

There is one (a bit dirty) way to update without having to transfer/unpack tar on your box: insert SD card to your computer, open tar update file and unpack KERNEL and SYSTEM from target folder to main folder on your SD card. Rename KERNEL to kernel.img and you're done.

TL;DR: When using SD version, whole SD card capacity is used, there is no need to resize the second partition.

CEC peripheral settings are in backup, not the driver. The driver is wholly in kernel/system image.
    Ah ha. So even thou the card shows only having one active partition on a disk manager tool oe/le does actually mount and use the reset of the storage available on the sd card. I just guessed since it wasn't active when writing the image in windows it reformatted the sd card to only be a 512meg card and didn't use the other 400ish meg of storage. Well I guess I will have to find a bigger card then 😂😂
    I read somewhere that using the command 'touch /storage/.please_resize_me' via ssh would allocate the rest of the cards storage for user data?
    All Black MXQ
    Working OpenELEC -
    OpenELEC-Amlogic.m201d.arm-6.95.2.2-devel-20160419155042-r22630-g8a99467.img.xz On SD
    Working Android img - cyx_MXQ_8189etv_8g1g_kodi_addons_160126_SD升级.rar
    Board Number: MXQ S805 V3_1 20151230

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_man82 View Post

Ah ha. So even thou the card shows only having one active partition on a disk manager tool oe/le does actually mount and use the reset of the storage available on the sd card. I just guessed since it wasn't active when writing the image in windows it reformatted the sd card to only be a 512meg card and didn't use the other 400ish meg of storage. Well I guess I will have to find a bigger card then 😂😂
      I read somewhere that using the command 'touch /storage/.please_resize_me' via ssh would allocate the rest of the cards storage for user data?
      Yes, but that won't work when you have data on the second partition already. The ".please_resize_me" step is done on every fresh SD install.

Comment

Yes, but that won't work when you have data on the second partition already. The ".please_resize_me" step is done on every fresh SD install.
        Ok thanks kszaq. Good to know. 😄
        All Black MXQ
        Working OpenELEC -
        OpenELEC-Amlogic.m201d.arm-6.95.2.2-devel-20160419155042-r22630-g8a99467.img.xz On SD

Comment

kiwi_man82 I have​ a MXQ V3_1 20151230 board and I can get it to boot but no WiFi. Is WiFi working with OE on your box?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by MinixCrazy View Post
            Guest I have​ a MXQ V3_1 20151230 board and I can get it to boot but no WiFi. Is WiFi working with OE on your box?

Frank
            To be honest I don't know. My daughter was running around while I had the box apart and it fell pulling the wifi antenna off the copper plate on the casing so I am using Lan. I can check it and see how it goes as I tried to solder it back but for obvious reason my tests may not be terribly reliable 😂😂 I do have a feeling I did check it and it I was able to connect to my network but it was slow as hell, even from factory before opening my box I've found Lan to be much better for me
            All Black MXQ
            Working OpenELEC -

Comment

kiwi_man82 I have​ a MXQ V3_1 20151230 board and I can get it to boot but no WiFi. Is WiFi working with OE on your box?

Frank
              I have the same board and plan to take a shot at it this evening, so I'll report back with my findings...

Comment

loving your work buddy thanks. Does anybody know which build reportedly works on the all black MXQ?

Comment

Originally posted by bossydale View Post
                  loving your work buddy thanks. Does anybody know which build reportedly works on the all black MXQ?
                  For all black MXQ, you should use HD18Q build.

Comment

Frank
                    I tested this and I have working wifi with the LibreElec 7.0.0.2 ROM for the MXQ m201d. Roms for other devices would not boot (from SD).
                    I wasn't able to test the OE roms for the m201d but I guess they work just the same.

Originally posted by bossydale View Post
                    Originally posted by mwp1 View Post

For all black MXQ, you should use HD18Q build.
                    Not true. This depends on your board. I have an all black MXQ with V3_1 20151230 board and the only build that worked for me (form SD, did not test NAND) was the m201d build. However that build reports a wrong ram amount for the device.

I haven't got around to extract the device tree and merge that with other builds to see if that would work, but it's on my todo list...

Comment

Originally posted by Spekkie View Post
                      Not true. This depends on your board. I have an all black MXQ with V3_1 20151230 board and the only build that worked for me (form SD, did not test NAND) was the m201d build. However that build reports a wrong ram amount for the device.

I haven't got around to extract the device tree and merge that with other builds to see if that would work, but it's on my todo list...
                      V3_1 20151230 board has only 512MB of RAM. Android firmware for that board is faking RAM amount. You can read my findings in LE thread.

Comment

V3_1 20151230 board has only 512MB of RAM. Android firmware for that board is faking RAM amount. You can read my findings in LE thread.
                        O really, sorry, missed that part. I will check that post asap.
                        Thanks for the heads-up kszaq!

Comment

I've read your posts in the LE thread and got one question left:
                          Is there a way in android to verify the real amount of ram? Like apps or some other trick?
                          (can't post yet in the LE forum so I ask here...)

Comment

Originally posted by Spekkie View Post

I've read your posts in the LE thread and got one question left:
                            Is there a way in android to verify the real amount of ram? Like apps or some other trick?
                            (can't post yet in the LE forum so I ask here...)
                            You can attach serial console, press Enter to stop automatic boot and run bdinfo. The result will be:
                            Code:
                            DRAM bank   = 0x00000000
                            -> start    = 0x00000000
                            -> size     = 0x40000000
                            This is from box with 1GB RAM. With V3_1 board I get
                            Code:
                            DRAM bank   = 0x00000000
                            -> start    = 0x00000000
                            -> size     = 0x20000000

Comment

sorry for the late reply. im just wondering if its the HD18Q build or the m201d build? for all black mxq box? Or do i need to find out what board i have and if so how can i find that out.

Comment

just took a huge leep of faith and it is m201d for all black MXQ boxes. now just just have to find a way to unbrick the first one i put the MXQ on lol

Comment

Working...
                                X