Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X96 Mini TV Box Amlogic S905W + Android 7.1.2 + Quad-core Cortex-A53 + 4K VP9 H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone looking for a custom rom for this box.... I managed to flash the Meecool M8S Pro W custom rom by Magendanz (all credit goes to him, I'm just sharing what I managed to accomplish). Its an awesome rom based on the Nexus Player so it comes equipped with the Android TV interface. I highly recommend trying it out! The setup is miles ahead of what the box is equipped with by default. The .IMG file has to be flashed with the Amlogic USB Tool. The version I used was dated 12/1/2017 and listed as the "TV-Stock" variant. Although I'm sure the other two files would work as well. Also, after flashing the firmware the stock recovery is replaced with a working version of TWRP 3.1.1 so no need to boot from USB every time you want to use TWRP. I also flashed Magisk 14 and Xposed System-less 88.2 SDK 25 and both are also working. Magisk is equipped with a tool that allows you to hide root access from individual apps as opposed to disabling root altogether. tHE FIRMWARE CAN BE FOUND HERE....

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

Thank you Jsassu20,

Both have helped me out tremendously. Your first suggestion fixed the launcher issue. The second (the custom ROM) helped me with my bootloop and initial impressions is that this is a much better experience for the android boxes. I really like this ROM at the moment. I will mess around with this and maybe update all 3 of the boxes with this.

Thank you very much.
      TOG

P.S. I guess I didn't need the first issue resolved then since I'll be changing the ROMs altogether.

Comment

good day i got the x96 mini and i want to ask why in some applications on google play it says your device is not compatible with this version. for example i want to download this application: https: //play.google.com/store/ apps / details? id = ru.bastion7.realisticweather.pro the developers could not find me any solution. I downloaded the application from aptoide but did not run normally. any solution;

Comment

Hi everyone can some one please share working link for X96 Mini firmware i have searched a lot but couldn't find it any were the link over this post is also expired please if some one have it kindly share

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by murtuza321 View Post
            Hi everyone can some one please share working link for X96 Mini firmware Thanks
            X96 mini - 20171009

Comment

Originally posted by Jsassu20 View Post
              Anyone looking for a custom rom for this box.... I managed to flash the Meecool M8S Pro W custom rom by Magendanz (all credit goes to him, I'm just sharing what I managed to accomplish). Its an awesome rom based on the Nexus Player so it comes equipped with the Android TV interface. I highly recommend trying it out! The setup is miles ahead of what the box is equipped with by default. The .IMG file has to be flashed with the Amlogic USB Tool. The version I used was dated 12/1/2017 and listed as the "TV-Stock" variant. Although I'm sure the other two files would work as well. Also, after flashing the firmware the stock recovery is replaced with a working version of TWRP 3.1.1 so no need to boot from USB every time you want to use TWRP. I also flashed Magisk 14 and Xposed System-less 88.2 SDK 25 and both are also working. Magisk is equipped with a tool that allows you to hide root access from individual apps as opposed to disabling root altogether. tHE FIRMWARE CAN BE FOUND HERE....

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...C979F57D71A88A
              Can you please provide the link to the thread?

Thanks

Comment

I have received an wireless update but unable to install it as it's says root has been detected any one knows any solution how can i install that wireless update?

Comment

No, you don't need a superuser program with this firmware. The su binary is present in /system/bin and all root requests are granted by default so there is no need to have one unless you would like to have more control over the privilege requests of certain programs.

It took me 2 days to realize what exactly was going on because I've never come across an Android firmware which had the ability to just grant root permission by default. I was under the impression that root access could only be achieved with a combination of an su binary in a system path along with a superuser app to delegate root access. If you want to use SuperSU, the only method I managed to get to work was by just downloading SuperSU from the play store and NOT updating the SU Binary when SuperSU starts up each time. If you update the binary you will end up with a boot loop after restarting the box. If you just ignore the update request each time SuperSU starts, then it will be able to handle the privilege requests but I have found issues with some apps where they fail to detect root. If I don't use a superuser app then those apps that had issues will work fine. The only solution I've managed to come up with for having root and a normal functioning superuser app was to install Kingroot which will report they system as being rooted with issues, then click fix root and use KingUser from that point.

In the end I just decided to reset the device and use it without a superuser app and Its been flawless the entire time. Also, I have the 1GB/8GB variant and I found that if I enable th option to disable background processes from developer options and set the process limit option to 0 then the system performs flawlessly... I took it a step further by using a 64 GB usb drive and adopting 80% of the storage to use as internal storage (done with Root Essentials app from PlayStore) and then I used the app "Swapper" to create a 2GB swap file with the remaining 20% of the USB storage and now this damn thing is performing like its a top of the line product. I highly recommend everyone to try it out if you're having performance issues.!
                  Hi Jsassu20,

I tried to follow your advice to "disable background processes from developer options and set the process limit option to 0", but every time I reboot, the setting goes back to the original "standard" setting. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by murtuza321 View Post
                    I have received an wireless update but unable to install it as it's says root has been detected any one knows any solution how can i install that wireless update?
                    i have the same problem exactly,any solution?

Comment

does this box not have standby ?
                      why does it turn the box off when just tapping the power button?
                      what is the point of holding the power buttonf ro a few second to get into the secret power mode to turn off the box, if pressing the power button always turns off the box ?

Comment

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...C979F57D71A88A
                        Hey,

I would also like to install this rom, but onedrive says it is no longer available. Did you find this rom here? http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...android-tv-7-1

Because you said you installed a Meecool M8S Pro W custom rom, however, this is for the Meecool M8S Pro (no W in the naming at the end), so I'm a bit hesitant.

Either way, could you please tell me if this is the rom I am looking for, or if it is not, could you provide a link for the rom you installed?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

anybody ....??

Originally posted by duboisbrian View Post
                          does this box not have standby ?
                          why does it turn the box off when just tapping the power button?
                          what is the point of holding the power buttonf ro a few second to get into the secret power mode to turn off the box, if pressing the power button always turns off the box ?

Comment

thank you

Comment

@trebar Thx,

Comment

• trebor
                                trebor commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks for keeping us up to date.
                            Working...
                            X