Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just flash the OTA UPDATE.zip ( M8S_PRO+-V0321_TVStock-20170825.zip ) from Post #1 using the existing "Update" App and a USB Stick ?
    Tick the "Wipe Data" Box, select Local Update and you are done.

Comment

Yes thanks. I did that and it worked but I thought I read Guest recommending the .img file install.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        We ROM developers always prefer the .img file just because it's more foolproof. You're guaranteed to get all the needed partitions flashed, include a factory reset, and there are better checks in the uboot modules to ensure you don't install on the wrong hardware.

That said, the OTA updates are usually more convenient for end users...which is why I include them.

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post

It does NOT and if you try to install any other ATV ROM except the one Guest is providing for this MECOOL on Page #1 of this thread, expect broken Android TV Netflix and other DRM video streaming Apps which rely on Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x

Simply do NOT do it. You are going to permanently break DRM, like what you see in the previous post.
      Ok ok i will ruin drm i know that..... but im curious

Comment

I wonder what I'm doing wrong, I've seen contradictory info on the net concerning the usage of burn card maker. Tell me guys, I should only select "to partition and format" and "reboot", correct?? I think on M8S II and GT1 I only selected those.

Comment

ok so i install the first one via the original ota_update app, now that we are on atv how do you install the new one as an update?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Launch TWRP by typing "reboot recovery" in Terminal, click Install, select Source (your SD/USB), pick your .zip file, and swipe to install.

Legend thanks will give it a crack over the weekend

Comment

I got my box yesterday, flashed the rom and I must say that it works a charm! I am wondering about one thing, though, which is 5.1 audio passthrough (and as I am completely new to these boxes, I might be asking a very stupid question... ).

With my previous 'smart tv' (a Sony BDP-S4500 blu-ray player, I got the Mecool because I wanted to use Kodi) and my satellite tuner, my soundbar indicates if it gives pcm, DD2.0 or DD5.1 sound when using Netflix or 'normal' tv. However, when using the Mecool, I don't get any info on my soundbar and the 5.1 option in Netflix is gone too. Are there any extra things I need to do/flash to get 5.1 sound from Netflix, or is it there 'out-of-the-box' and is that why it is not mentioned in the audio menu?

Like I said, might be a very stupid question, but I'd appreciate any help!

Comment

Originally posted by Lecturer in Recent Runes View Post
            I got my box yesterday, flashed the rom and I must say that it works a charm! I am wondering about one thing, though, which is 5.1 audio passthrough (and as I am completely new to these boxes, I might be asking a very stupid question... ).

With my previous 'smart tv' (a Sony BDP-S4500 blu-ray player, I got the Mecool because I wanted to use Kodi) and my satellite tuner, my soundbar indicates if it gives pcm, DD2.0 or DD5.1 sound when using Netflix or 'normal' tv. However, when using the Mecool, I don't get any info on my soundbar and the 5.1 option in Netflix is gone too. Are there any extra things I need to do/flash to get 5.1 sound from Netflix, or is it there 'out-of-the-box' and is that why it is not mentioned in the audio menu?

Like I said, might be a very stupid question, but I'd appreciate any help!
            Check you "sound" settings under your settings menu. Make sure you have "system surround" set to auto or always. Also, check your settings under "digital sounds". This device with this mod supports Dolby and DTS and Dolby Digital + for Netflix natively. It also supports HD audio from Kodi.
            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

My experience so far...

Negatives:
              - Doesn't burn .img using burncardmaker.
              - When shut a red light stays on
              - Crashes when attempting to access settings/about
              - Crashes after you log in HBO Now for android tv
              - In HBO Go for android tv, it doesn't play videos nor sound, when it works it only plays sound
              - Showtime Anytime for android tv won't work unless you update it (it's updated and still doesn't work)
              - Showtime for android tv crashes when opening

Positives:
              - Netflix Full HD (can't find any test videos in my countries library but it does appear to be)
              - Hulu (good quality)
              - Plex (good quality)

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you install with the burn package (or do a data wipe when installing with the updater)? I've been unable to reproduce those crashes, and may need more information.

All the other issues are app-specific and reproducible using the underlying 20170815.182813.V0321 OEM firmware. If I'm wrong on that, please let me know.

I wanted to use the burn package but didn't manage, these would be the correct settings, right? (picture)
              Did data wipe when installing with the updater but maybe I'm gonna do it again, let's see.
              The other issues might be app-specific, not sure, but if you say so, I'm sure it is so.
              Thanks.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I've actually never burned an .img file with BurnCardMaker, so I'm not the person to ask about its settings. I've always used USB Burning Tool.

I would be very interested to hear if you can reproduce those crashes after you've done the factory reset (data wipe).

Factory reset and I can now access settings/about. Will try installing everything else but as you say some of those crashes might be app specific, the problem being in their end.

Actually I spoke too soon, it's crashing again, the settings/about. All I did was access the play store and download Netflix.
              Last edited by Floki; 09-01-2017, 22:18. Reason: Update

Comment

Magendanz do you have the link for the 912 version

Comment

It crashes on me when I click on the "about", also. I just never paid attention to it.
                MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll check the logcat. I would have guessed that it was looking for some OEM file that was stripped, but that should always crash.

Originally posted by Lecturer in Recent Runes View Post
                With my previous 'smart tv' (a Sony BDP-S4500 blu-ray player, I got the Mecool because I wanted to use Kodi) and my satellite tuner, my soundbar indicates if it gives pcm, DD2.0 or DD5.1 sound when using Netflix or 'normal' tv. However, when using the Mecool, I don't get any info on my soundbar and the 5.1 option in Netflix is gone too.
                That is because your TV will have a Dolby Audio licence that allows DD 5.1 Audio to be extracted from Netflix's DD+ Audio streams.

The MECOOL has no Dolby Audio licence.

On platforms with no Dolby Audio licence - Android TV Netflix will only ever output DD+ 5.1 audio to a HDMI connected TV/AVR/Soundbar that is actually capable of DD+ otherwise expect 2.0 PCM Audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Floki View Post
                  My experience so far...
                  Negatives:
                  - When shut a red light stays on
                  - Crashes after you log in HBO Now for android tv
                  - In HBO Go for android tv, it doesn't play videos nor sound, when it works it only plays sound
                  You might want to have a read about those same HBO issues on Android TV here:
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/c..._or_hbonow_on/

As for Red light - same as ALL AMLogic platforms, they never fully power off completely. In fact modern TV's are the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X