Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
      I wasn't planning on doing anything with CWM... have you tried OMA's CWM? I think his newest ROM dual boots both CWM and stock recoveries...
      Oma's ROMs don't dual boot stock & CWM recoveries.
      The roms are installed with the flash tool, and install includes the stock recovery. After booting with stock recovery, you may then choose to re-flash only the recovery partition to install CWM. Oma's CWM recovery is in the download, as are instructions.

As an alternative to re-flashing recovery, you could use Arctools to download Oma's CWM recovery & install it. Then reboot and you got it!

BTW, Arctools will work on Shaunmt ROM, too. So you can have CWM recovery on either ROM.

Comment

Re: ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

ShaunMT I would be happy to test your version of twrp when its ready. I helped OMA test his cwm and a custom kernel at one time when he was trying to port 4.4.2 before the update came out for this tablet

Comment

Re: ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Yeah, I would like to test TWRP as well. I've been enjoying your ROM spliced with Oma's partition layout and CWM since the workaround was discovered. Of course I have the tools necessary on my PC to do this.

Tapatalked via Nextbook NX785QC8G
          NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Originally posted by RosaFang View Post
            Yeah, I would like to test TWRP as well. I've been enjoying your ROM spliced with Oma's partition layout and CWM since the workaround was discovered. Of course I have the tools necessary on my PC to do this.

Tapatalked via Nextbook NX785QC8G
            Same here

Comment

For those of you wanting to test TWRP, I'll try to get at least a preview version with the common TWRP features out sometime this weekend... I doubt the rockchip features will be ready that quickly though.
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Low battery shutdown

Just wondering if the low battery warning and critical levels can be changed. At least we might be able to get the tablet plugged in before it dies. There used to be settings for these options but can't seem to find them in newer versions of android.

Comment

Originally posted by phipps_2000 View Post
                  Just wondering if the low battery warning and critical levels can be changed. At least we might be able to get the tablet plugged in before it dies. There used to be settings for these options but can't seem to find them in newer versions of android.
                  I'm not aware of a way to change the settings in KK. If someone finds out, let me know.

I doubt it would matter anyway considering that Android doesn't properly read and report the battery level.

The low battery warning is supposed to appear when the battery reaches 10 or 15%. On my tablet, when fully charged and unplugged... the battery remains at 100% for quite awhile (longer than it should), before starting to decline at a relatively normal rate of battery consumption, until the battery reaches zero and the tablet dies. The battery warning never appears, because when the battery reaches zero, Android is still incorrectly reporting a 30% or greater battery charge remaining.

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Glad for the explanation shaunmt. How's the work coming with the ROM?

Comment

Is there an alternative to get the battery to properly display the correct level of battery

Comment

Originally posted by infirno77 View Post
                        Glad for the explanation shaunmt. How's the work coming with the ROM?
                        Slow... I've been really busy lately and I'll be taking the family on vacation next week.

I've got a version of TWRP 2.6.3.0 recovery that seems to be working. I might send a preview version to some testers before I go on vacay...

Haven't had time to continue working on adding rockchip ROM image support to TWRP yet.

I don't want to release modified ROMs with patched partitions sizes until I get an easier way to install them.

Right now they require flashing individual partitions via PC or doing a triple reboot to wipe the moved / resized partitions with stock recovery. I just don't have the time to provide the user support that would be expected from the people who will find that too difficult. If the instructions are followed correctly, the tablet either bootloops, hangs on boot, or the partition resize doesn't take effect.

ShaunMT

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

So due to the rockchip thing it will be difficult to port Roms to this device right

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
                            Is there an alternative to get the battery to properly display the correct level of battery
                            I believe this needs to be fixed by Google and then an update provided by Nextbook, which means we'll probably never see a fix.

I'd guess the only chance for us would be if something like Cyanogenmod or OmniRom had a fix for it (I don't know if any do) and we got a version.
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
                              So due to the rockchip thing it will be difficult to port Roms to this device right
                              Not really... it shouldn't be too difficult to port a ROM...

We just can't currently flash a bootloader or parameter file without a PC or stock recovery.

The bootloader rarely needs to be changed, but the parameter file is where the partition sizes are defined. Actually... if the parameter file changes, the bootloader has to be updated to match the new parameter file.

Right now, everyone wants to change their partition sizes.

I don't want to provide support for PC flashing. There are several different tools requiring different instructions and I only use Unix, while most users are on Windows.

The stock recovery is broken and doesn't flash the parameter file correctly, requiring multiple wipes and reboots to fix the tablet after flashing a new parameter file. I don't want to support this work around either.

TWRP doesn't currently support rockchip style bootloaders or parameter files.

My plan is to take some of the rockchip source code from the stock recovery, fix it, and add it to the TWRP source code, but I don't know how long that will take to fix and debug.
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

It will be difficult, but I'm you can pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                                X