• Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW - Beelink S82/S82H/M8/MXIII & Tronsmart S89/S89H - Finless 2.1 ROM

Originally posted by Finless View Post

Lol

Comment

Quick question:

My original reason for wanting to try the finless was two-fold...

1.) After reading many reviews on Amazon, and other sites, the finless ROM was mentioned several times as a cure to stability issues, and and various fixes, and general over work-better-ness.

2.) a sense of adventure

The main thing i'd like to know is this: the primary things i'm after are:

1.) Stability
      2.) as MANY WELL-WORKING native (built in) codecs as possible
      3.) the best playstore compatibility possible
      4.) not having to watch movies with so many different video player apps.

Does the finless ROM bring additional codecs over the stock 111K4 (or other) ROM?

Also i personally prefer stock Android UI experience, but i do like the ability to switch to a simple and straight-forward homescreen like the one Tronsmart has provided for the kids. The kids only need to get to stuff like netflix, kodi, youtube, crackle (which crashes on 111k4) email, browser.

Is there an article here in the forums, or elsewhere that lays out the differences, advantages, what i would lose, what i would gain, etc?

Primarily what i am after is for my Vega to play most anything i throw at it effortlessly, and needing as few media players as possible. Especially video players that don't mysteriously stop playing a movie half way through... and that don't stutter...
      Last edited by etyrnal; 01-17-2015, 16:34. Reason: felt like it

Comment

Sound Drops out

I upgraded my JesusRun 4K (one of the many clones) which is an S82 that was running 4.4.2 103k4 (Oman@ubuntu#2) dated May 21and it upgraded without problems I actually did the 111k4 from Oman first but had sound drop outs so then decided to go to this FW as I was thinking it might be better. Interesting XBMC 13.4 (also from Oman), Kodi, and SPMC all 3 run equally well and all three have sound drops every 3 to 6 seconds no matter what I do. The stock FW had video freeze issues which is why I did the upgrade in the first place. Is there anything I can do to resolve this? I have clicked auto detect sound both on and off with the same results.

Comment

GAH! Fail.

okay what am i doing wrong here?

I figured this out. It was my mistake. I had the SD card in a USB adapter in the USB slot instead of in the SD card slot. My bad.

however when the finless ROM finally came up I could not get the network to work even though it saw my SSID and allowed me to set up and connect to my wifi. It would say that it was connected with excellent signal and have an IP address but no application would let me connect to the network. I think I finally got it working again by enabling Ethernet and then disabling Ethernet. I am using the wifi however.
          Last edited by etyrnal; 01-17-2015, 19:59.

Comment

Dear Finless,

When a new rom with Lollipop 5.0????
            Have you a fix for Audio notification?

Fix about 1080p video?

Tanks you are the best cook!

Comment

Originally posted by lolloarnova View Post
              Dear Finless,

When a new rom with Lollipop 5.0????
              Have you a fix for Audio notification?

Fix about 1080p video?

Tanks you are the best cook!
              i got my notification sounds working by just going into the volumes settings, turning all volumes all the way up, then all the way down, then to a reasonable level.

Comment

wireless display gone?

What can anyone recommend as a replacement for my old Zeki TAB303's "FireAir Receiver"? It used to just sit quietly in the background and accept incoming render commands from external players and would play to internal players of my choosing (or default if set).

Also one more goody that I'm hoping to score is the ability to set the YouTube app that's in the Vega so that its like the one in the PlayStation 3 where it can be discovered by the other YouTube on the network as being a "TV" so that YouTube app phones and computers can cast to the Vega. does that require a specialized version of the YouTube app separately to act in the personality of a television? Or is it something that a generic YouTube app is able to determine by detecting its environment ... there being some sort of a system variable that declares the device to be a TV?

Is there a way to make the finless ROM have the version of the Youtube app which acts like a set top version? So that other android devices on the network running the android Youtube app can direct the Youtube app in the finless ROM to what to play? I's better than miracasting, because then we're not sending video and sound...
                Last edited by etyrnal; 01-18-2015, 03:09.

Comment

THANK YOU!

I just want to say thanks for all time and effort that goes into the finless ROM... it's working GREAT

Comment

Off topic: Can anyone explain to me, how 1.5GB can be advertised as 2GB?

Off topic: Can anyone explain to me, how 1.5GB can be advertised as 2GB?

How is that any less deceptive that claiming a 512MB machine is a 1GB machine??

What am i misunderstanding?

I comprehend how a HD (after filer allocation tables and such) can have slightly less useable storage than the full bit capacity...

and i understand how a computer sold with an OS on it will have even less in the useable HD space due to the OS and paging files etc...

But RAM???

As far as i can tell -- unless there's something new that's gotten by me -- when CPUZ and other app reports that the Vega S89H has around 1.5GB TOTAL RAM, that's the FULL RAM capacity alltogether before booting... i.e. the total amount of wired memory... no?

Comment

111k4 ?

Can someone please point me to changelog information about the 111k4 firmware this finless rom is based on?

Im running finless2.0 happily so Im looking for changelog info to assess if updating to 2.1 is worthwhile for me.

Comment

Wifi / Ethernet gotcha...

okay so here's an interesting irony / gotcha. I hook my box up to Ethernet so that I could completely avoid any potential wireless problems. The issues that I run into is is several applications will not perform certain functions unless they are on wifi. And apparently they are very specific. If they don't detect that wifi is turned on and connected they will not perform their data functions. So there is an irony. so if you use wifi you are in some sense shooting yourself in the foot.

Comment

Is this the correct Rom?

Hi all

Im a total noob so apologies for the silly question.

Ive just bought the 2G version of the MXiii box and its running an old build of 110k.
                          So i was advised to flash to the Finless Bob 2.1 rom.

Can you advise if this is the correct rom for my device please?

Also in settings the device is named as M8 & not MXiii???

Thanks in advance Bart

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                          OK with the release of 111K4, here is my ROM 2.1.

Some added goodies over 2.0 ROM that I have learned since then.

Features and release notes for my 2.1 ROM:

1) While 111K4 was rooted from the factory it was outdated and did not have the SU updates needed.
                          I re-rooted the ROM properly. This includes the new SELinux SU library and xbin files.

2) Updated Google framework core files. The ones in the stock ROM were out of date.
                          On first boot NOTHING will need to be updated once you logon to Google Play.
                          That is as of this date.

3) Debloated of junk APPs and Google Apps you can get from Google Play.
                          There was quite a few useless hidden apps in this KitKat release! Some of them did not even work.
                          I did remove XBMC and other pre-install APPs as well. I like a CLEAN ROM that you the user can setup the way you want.
                          Having APPs in /system leaves that junk in there forever (unless you delete them by hand with a root explorer).
                          NOTE: The XBMC that came with 111K4 is in this ZIP package (Oman modified). Feel free to install it if you like.

4) As always, full init.d support! If you do not know what that is... ignore it. For geeks that want to use it. It is there!
                          This time around due to updated security in 4.4, init.d was a lot harder to get working.
                          Again I had to figure it out!

5) I fixed the AOSP Launcher for several things:
                          Removed the Google search bar by request.
                          Added more than one screen for scrolling.
                          Updated the dock icons to things more useful.
                          Apps installed with Google Play will automatically be added to the home screen.
                          I think you will like this launcher better

6) Build.prop edit to open up the Google Play store to APPs that normally say "not compatible".
                          I am spoofing a Samsung device (Nexus 10) that will show almost any APP as compatible.
                          This should also allow Netflix HD but I have not tested it.
                          Your device will show up in google play as Nexus 10 device not a S82/S89! Understand this please.
                          I also left the original build.prop in the ROM called build.orig.
                          If you want to go back, just use ES FIle Explorer or a root file explorer and rename build.prop to build.old
                          Then rename build.orig to build.prop.
                          Go into settings, apps, all and go into the Google Play app. Clear the cache and data.
                          Reboot! You should be back to showing up as a S82/S89.

7) TWRP recovery is intsalled with this ROM. Special thanks to FreakTab developer Abdul_pt!
                          If you don't want TWRP recovery, I give you a recovery flasher ZIP that you can use to flash back to a stock recovery that works (fixed).

8) I added a reboot APP that will allow optional reboot options like reboot to recovery for easier updates.

9) Adjusted more permission that Google now checks for which should give even better Google Play compatibility.

10) I still had to remove the hw.nophone=false from build.prop as this breaks streaming apps like Bell TV.
                          Not sure after reporting this issue why Beelink did not also do this?

11) CPU fixer patches!
                          In this ZIP is a CPU_fixer folder. These zips can be used to adjust your minimum CPU frequency and Governor.
                          See the README.txt in that folder for an explanation and how to install them.

12) Carrier spoofs for better APP compatibility.

13) The usual tweaks I do for better performance e.g. TCP buffers sizes, etc etc.

14) Did a little "themeing" to the AOSP Launcher stock wallpaper.

DO NOT just copy this download ZIP to SDcard and expect it to work!
                          UNZIP it and read the README for instructions!

OK so here is the download!

READ the README.TXT in the zip for instructions!

ROM -> Tronsmart S89/S89H & Beelink S82/S82H/M8 - Finless ROM 2.1 (450 megs)

Bob

Comment

Worth the upgrade??

I currently have a rk3188 tv stick that im fairly happy with. But for $65 i can get an s82. Wondering if anyone here has upgraded? Any noticable difference? Video stutter free? Thanks for any feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Joffa View Post
                              Can someone please point me to changelog information about the 111k4 firmware this finless rom is based on?

Im running finless2.0 happily so Im looking for changelog info to assess if updating to 2.1 is worthwhile for me.
                              Just look at the first post in this thread.
                              Mk802IV Neomode 1.9a original rom 720p

Comment

Antutu video test

I ran the Antutu video test... the S89H got 622. It CLAIMS all the video samples were played back normally... yet the played haltingly. How to i understand whether this is the S89H, the firmware, the video, or the testing app??

(a side thought -- i would think it would be easy for them to detec that the video played back haltingly if a video that's exactly X number of minutes and seconds long took MORE than that to finish playing. who writes these testing apps??)

Comment

Working...
                                X