Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Mecool M8s Pro L and Pro + (and others ?) - Options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirbg View Post
    Mine does at 28C, full load with StressCPU after 2 Hours - 45C
    4K/60P - 37C
    1080P - 31-32C
    720p - 29-30C
    Hey man, that's what I need! I wonder if the where you live and cold, if you used thermal paste and if you used resistor in the fan.

Comment

What do you think, guys, about mounting one of those (40x50mm) for passive cooling?

Looks good, as long as it is 40mm dia. Max.

Should have a good chimney effect.

Comment

A large piece of thermal pad top and bottom, of PCB,
        Some alloy plate top and bottom on pad should be fine

Fans are cool but can be noisey suck in dust and add to the problem in long term

12v fan running on 5 volts would be ok to suck heat away for heat sinks and not ot noisy.
        Just ensure the heat can get out of the box,

treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by Novato

Hey man, that's what I need! I wonder if the where you live and cold, if you used thermal paste and if you used resistor in the fan.

No, the location where I live isn't cold. 21-22C in house. I used 1mm Arctic Thermal pad, 40x40mm 12V Evercool fan, working at 5V.

Comment

Ok so I got the fans today and wanted to c what it will look like so I placed it on the heatsink and screwed it down lightly. Seemed tight when the fan spins doesn’t it hit the heatsink it’s resting on top? Just waiting on the resistor’s now. Is it worth trying to hook up now and try or just wait for the resistor’s?

thanks
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Looking good.
              That way up the fan can't hit the sink, but could touch the lid depending on hole size. You can try without the resistor(s) to check and feel the noise !!

Comment

Originally posted by Novato View Post

Hello! I envy your temperature chart, it's all very cool and attractive to me, minus the way you left the fan out is clear. lol ... Unlike the post with previous photos from mirbg, I noticed that you only use a common fan for Raspbarry Pi3 30mm, have not seen holes in the bottom or mentions about having changed the heatsink, thermal paste or have put additional heatsinks in the down of the board of box. So I wonder how you got such good results? I keep asking these questions in my head: Have you used resistors to reduce the speed of the fan, if so how many ohms? Did you use thermal paste, if so of which brand? Does the location of your home where your box is located have central air or air conditioning to keep the temperature cool? I do not know to but here the coldest day in the morning my Box did 38° c, and usually stands in the range of 44-46° c, already in games the temperature will stay in the range of 50-55° c, I really think this still much is hot, then I wanted to optimize the normal temperature to 35° c and in games to at least 45° c, so I would be happy, of course, without installing a bigger fan or using less creative techniques ( but effective at times). Note: My room has no refrigeration whatsoever, and it's hot until the evening.
                Hehehehehe

I do not care much about the appearance ... it is downstairs in the bookshelf ... almost you can not see ... anyway I'm kind of bad to mess with these things and I do not have the right equipment .... but the temperatures that were middle high were my main concern ... it got much better after I put the cooler.

In fact I just put the cooler and soldered the wires behind the board on the pads of the SD card (3.3v and GND) .. I did not put thermal grease ... nor did I punch holes or changed the heatsink.

But for your nickname and with the post that you said that here costs three times more I believe that you are Brazilian like me. I bought this seller's cooler:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...-raspberry-_JM

I bought 2 for the freight that was almost double the price of the cooler.

I asked him to send the screws for fixing and screwed the fan to the CPU heatsink ... I believe that what made the difference ... I just do not advise to force too much because the fan is fragile and can break easily.

Now with this cold front the temps lowered more:

Idle: 28 ° C
                Youtube 4K: 34 ° C
                Stress with Kodi, Antutu and Geekbench: 44 ° C MAX

Hehehehehe

Nem preocupo muito com a aparência...ele fica embaixo na estante...quase nem dá para ver...de toda formna sou meio ruim para mexer com essas coisas e nem tenho equipamentos adequados....mas as temperaturas que estavam meio altas eram minha principal preocupação...melhorou muito depois que coloquei o cooler.

Na verdade eu só coloquei o cooler e soldei os fios atrás da placa nos pads do cartão SD(3.3v e GND)..não coloquei pasta térmica...nem fiz furos ou troquei o dissipador.

Mas pelo seu nick e com o post que você disse que aqui custa três vezes mais acredito ue você seja brasileiro como eu. Eu comprei o cooler desse vendedor:

Comprei 2 para valer o frete que estava quase o dobro do preço do cooler.

Pedi para ele mandar os parafusos para fixação e parafusei a fan no dissipador da CPU...acredito que isso que fez a diferença...só não aconselho forçar muito pois a fan é frágil e pode quebrar facilmente.

Agora com essa frente fria as temps abaixaram mais:

Idle: 28° C
                Youtube 4K: 34° C
                Stress with Kodi, Antutu e Geekbench: 44 °C MAX

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
                  Looking good.
                  That way up the fan can't hit the sink, but could touch the lid depending on hole size. You can try without the resistor(s) to check and feel the noise !!
                  did u use the existing screws to hold the lid on after the fan install or a longer size? I will try connecting and c how it sounds. I found this picture online from an install or I took a screen shot from a video. Can u confirm these r the ones I need to solder the fan too?

thanks

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by LilSnoop40 View Post

did u use the existing screws to hold the lid on after the fan install or a longer size? I will try connecting and c how it sounds. I found this picture online from an install or I took a screen shot from a video. Can u confirm these r the ones I need to solder the fan too?

thanks
                    Those are the 2 spots to get the 5 volts.
                    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

So, after replacing the default heatsink with 38x38x6mm ()
                      , I got this result:

Idle - 27C
                      HD/FullHD - 30-32C
                      4K - 33-34C
                      4K/60fps - 35-36C
                      StressCPU:

And my very final setup:

Before cutting a hole at the bottom and changing the default heatsink, it was 53C under full load with StressCPU. Now it's almost 10C less under same load. I don't think I could achieve any better result, this is the limit with this combo - slim profile and closed box.

Next step would be water cooling (joke, of course) 😉
                      Last edited by mirbg; 05-24-2018, 14:37.

Comment

Originally posted by helyblackstorm View Post

Hehehehehe

I do not care much about the appearance ... it is downstairs in the bookshelf ... almost you can not see ... anyway I'm kind of bad to mess with these things and I do not have the right equipment .... but the temperatures that were middle high were my main concern ... it got much better after I put the cooler.

In fact I just put the cooler and soldered the wires behind the board on the pads of the SD card (3.3v and GND) .. I did not put thermal grease ... nor did I punch holes or changed the heatsink.

But for your nickname and with the post that you said that here costs three times more I believe that you are Brazilian like me. I bought this seller's cooler:

I bought 2 for the freight that was almost double the price of the cooler.

I asked him to send the screws for fixing and screwed the fan to the CPU heatsink ... I believe that what made the difference ... I just do not advise to force too much because the fan is fragile and can break easily.

Now with this cold front the temps lowered more:

Idle: 28 ° C
                        Youtube 4K: 34 ° C
                        Stress with Kodi, Antutu and Geekbench: 44 ° C MAX

Yes, I'm Brazilian, lol. I also bought in "Mercado Livre", but I opted for the RPi 3 model with only 7mm in height. This one is 10 mm from what I saw in the image and description. The freight of the ML is very heavy, even if it is registered letter.

But coming back to the temperature, I honestly think you are blessed to live in a colder place. This counts a lot on the temperature of the device, one day it rained here and it was very cold, that day my TV box was in the range of 38 °c.

It seems to me that you have not used any resistors, do you understand a bit of electronics? Could you send me a picture of the soldering points you made? Another question, was that annoying noise, for example at night when no external sounds?

Sim, eu sou brasileiro, haha. Eu também comprei no Mercado Livre, mas optei pelo o modelo RPi 3 com apenas 7mm de altura. Esse seu é 10 mm pelo que vi na imagem e descrição. O frete do ML é muito pesado, mesmo sendo carta registrada.

Mas voltando a temperatura, sinceramente acho que você é abençoado por viver em um local mais frio. Isso conta muito na temperatura do aparelho, um dia desses choveu aqui e estava muito frio, nesse dia meu TV box ficou na faixa dos 38°c.

Me parece que você não usou nenhum resistor, você entende um pouco de eletrônica? Poderia mandar uma foto dos pontos de solda que você fez? Outra pergunta, ficou com aquele barulho irritante, por exemplo a noite quando não sons externos?

Note: MercadoLivre or MercadoLibre is a Latin e-commerce similar to Aliexpress, but prices, especially shipment, are not even similar. loll

Comment

No, the location where I live isn't cold. 21-22C in house. I used 1mm Arctic Thermal pad, 40x40mm 12V Evercool fan, working at 5V.
                          Hey mirbg, to me this is cold yes. lol ... Here the temperature is warm, I'm right in the middle of the equator. And in that period it is even hotter.

I'll try to replicate what you did, although it makes me very sad to think about cutting the bottom of my box. But I have to create courage and perform (maker).

Comment

So, after replacing the default heatsink with 38x38x6mm

I got this result:

Idle - 27C
                            HD/FullHD - 30-32C
                            4K - 33-34C
                            4K/60fps - 35-36C
                            I really need the link from this dissipator, I loved it, lol. He seems to have a much greater dissipation power. Could you send me the heatsink and thermal paste link that you used in your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Novato

Hey mirbg, to me this is cold yes. lol ... Here the temperature is warm, I'm right in the middle of the equator. And in that period it is even hotter.

I'll try to replicate what you did, although it makes me very sad to think about cutting the bottom of my box. But I have to create courage and perform (maker).
                              Don't take it so dramatic, you won't see it anyway as long as it's on the bottom side.
                              This helps really a lot to reduce the temps.
                              I highly advise you to do it, but be careful with the thermal pad you are going to use - don't let the heatsink touch any of the elements around, otherwise you will cause short circuit and will permanently damage the box.

Comment

But be careful with the thermal pad you are going to use - don't let the heatsink touch any of the elements around, otherwise you will cause short circuit and will permanently damage the box.
                                That struck me as quite scary. You could send me the link of the items you bought, I will need to import from other oapaís because in mine does not sell this heatsink. Could you also send a photo of the welding points you made?

Comment

Working...
                                X