Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Pro + TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 2/16GB Fast Lan, WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by biochem View Post
    Hi guys!
    I am updating my Kodi device (coming from a Raspberry Pi3) due to an 4k Tv Upgrade.
    Looking for a pure Kodi media player (all data on a NAS).
    I'm not interested in any DRM media (Prime, Netflix) - I just want a fast kodi, HDMI CEC and support for alle Video (HD, 4k, HDR, 10bit, high bitrate) and Audio HD Codecs.
    The data on paper looks very good ... is this device the "right one" for me? Does it handle HDR 10bit and support CEC?
    What's the best way to install Libreelec to that device?
    I have a Dual Boot 4K LibreELEC Kodi Krypton / Android TV setup on the MECOOL. Works well

No inbuilt working WiFi/BT due to no Linux WiFi drivers available for LibreELEC.

However Bluetooth can be added with a dirt cheap v4.0 CSR USB Dongle.

For LibreELEC - yes to most of your questions, HDMI-CEC is not 100% guaranteed to work because each TV manufacturer fcuks with the CEC protocol for their own brands of equiptment. Works fine however with my 4K TV.

All S905x LibreELEC install and HDR support questions can be found: (Start at Read this First)
    ​​​​​​https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/93...905x/?pageNo=1

The dtb.img and remote.conf files for LE use on the MECOOL are found here (save them to the SD card):
    ​​​​​​http://wrxtasy.libreelec.tv/MECOOL/

Hint: MECOOL - front reset button required for initial LE bootup: (do not use brute force)
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...688#post660688

Best microSDHC cards to use with AMLogic devices: (superior 4K Random R/W performance)
    Samsung EVO(+), Samsung EVO Select, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1

Want a faster LibreELEC and still retain dual boot ?
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/94...mory-for-data/

HDR Kernel testing was done here (now included in LE 8.2):
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/87...ds-discussion/

W.
    Last edited by wrxtasy; 09-22-2017, 05:16.

Comment

Great! Thanks for summing it up.
      Do I have to use a microSDHC card? I'd rather like a pure LibreELEC/Kodi device. Am I able to use the internal 16GB NAND for this (would be faster than the SD Card as well)?

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
        Hmmmm I had a kind of similar issue (Wierd in any event) The ip wouldnt confirm on one box. I reset router everything kinda went crazy trying to find out why all my devices wouldnt connect after that device. Reset everything tried with another box and worked reconnected it same crap happened. I actually thought the router was going. Reflashed that box and issues went away maybe a glich or something but waa wierd to say the least.
        Hi scooter,

Interesting info. Do you think a re-flash may help then ?

Cheers
        Peter

Comment

Originally posted by biochem View Post
          Great! Thanks for summing it up.
          Do I have to use a microSDHC card? I'd rather like a pure LibreELEC/Kodi device. Am I able to use the internal 16GB NAND for this (would be faster than the SD Card as well)?
          Once you've booted into LibreELEC from SD you can move it to the internal nand. Can't say if it's faster or not as I've never checked it. Happy with it running from nand on my Beelink box.

Comment

Hi,

Contacted GearBest CS and they asked for video of the issue (HDMI link destroys ADSL/Router broadband connection)

so here are videos of the issue ...

Hi, couldn't email as too big so...
            Videos of my Mecool M8SPro+ Box causing fault with broadband ADSL connection.
            Videos too large for eMail so uploaded to YouTube

Single sample of Mecool M8SPro+ TV Box - Personal purchase - HDMI connection causes ADSL Router to fail - losing the broadband connection.
            Videos for GearBest Customer Support so they can see the issue.

Comment

Hi,
              I have done some more experiments.

I also have a Z28 TV Box and this box causes the same issue but ONLY when the HDMI is not fully inserted, i.e. just the metal outer cage of the plug is contacting the Box socket. When the HDMI is fully inserted on the Z"* the issue goes away.

With the M8SPro+ the issue starts when the plug contacts the socket surround but does not go away if the plug is fully inserted. There seems to be a contact missing from the Mecool box that is there on a correctly wired Z28 box.

Switching OFF Wi-Fi in the Wireless Router stops it from being interfered with, but then half the tech things in the house stop being any use !!!
              Last edited by P.X; 08-24-2017, 17:16.

Comment

So, I'm trying to add support for USB Bluetooth dongles and gamepads to my next custom ROM release for the M8S Pro+, but I don't have any of these devices. If any of you do, would you be willing to install this and help me confirm proper operation?

This is a signed OTA update that you can install with the Update app, stock recovery or TWRP.

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                  So, I'm trying to add support for USB Bluetooth dongles and gamepads to my next custom ROM release for the M8S Pro+, but I don't have any of these devices. If any of you do, would you be willing to install this and help me confirm proper operation?

This is a signed OTA update that you can install with the Update app, stock recovery or TWRP.
                  I installed this rom, and tested using my "Plugable" BlueTooth module, but the BlueTooth never became active. I was able to turn it "on", but the "on" button stayed grey.
                  MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I'm discovering that this isn't as simple as just dropping a kernel module in the right folder, and that I'm going to need to make some init.rc changes to install the module. Was your BT dongle a CSR 4.0 (based on the Qualcomm CSR8510 chipset)?

It is a dongle......... same thing as this one.

The Plugable Bluetooth adapter adds Bluetooth functionality to Windows and Linux PCs that do not already have built-in Bluetooth. On Windows 8 and above, it adds Bluetooth Low Energy support.

MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

I installed this rom, and tested using my "Plugable" BlueTooth module, but the BlueTooth never became active. I was able to turn it "on", but the "on" button stayed grey.
                    I'm guessing there no point me trying then? With a different dongle.

Comment

Can someone tell me if this box has a navigation bar? I watched a few reviews and it's not there with the default launcher and was wondering if there was an option to display it. Searched the thread as well and couldn't find anything.

Also, is this one of the best budget s905x Android 7.1 options out there right now?

Comment

Okay, I made some changes, moving the kernel modules to /lib/modules and adding some missing keylayout files. Can you give it another try? (Same link.)

Comment

Hi where is recovery button in this box? I did not find. I want to recover my box with twrp after switching tv stock rom

Comment

Originally posted by messert View Post
                            Hi where is recovery button in this box? I did not find. I want to recover my box with twrp after switching tv stock rom
                            Just look back a couple of pages ,,,,,,,,

Comment

Folks, we finally have an Amlogic burn package (.img file) for this device: M8S_PRO+-NMF26Q-20170815.182813.V0321.img

I haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet, but thanks to trebor for passing it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X