Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Pro + TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 2/16GB Fast Lan, WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post

Even easier.
    Download OTA UPDATE.zip and save to USB Stick, do not Unzip:

Use Android - Update App, tick "data wipe" checkbox and then do a Local Update using the OTA UPDATE.zip from the USB Stick.
    I have to remove the sd card to make the update, and now libreElec doesn't work anymore. I need to flash again the sd card or juste reset button till libreElec logo? I'm not at home now to test that.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyzor View Post

I have to remove the sd card to make the update, and now libreElec doesn't work anymore. I need to flash again the sd card or juste reset button till libreElec logo? I'm not at home now to test that.
      Just hold in the reset button in when connecting power again.

Comment

1 comment
        • trebor
          #354.1

trebor commented
          08-29-2017, 22:19

I don't have ADSL
          Have you tested with a good power supply.

Wrapping the 5v lead thru a ferrite core may also help.

You could test with good high powered Battery pack 5volts, bit of a much around

Some (a lot) of these these powers packs can generate JUNK and at a guess only sending it down the line.
          or a Bad power Board if plugs packs are plug into a strip..

Hi trebor,

Thanks - Don't think it is the power supply as the issue with ADSL only happens when the HDMI is connected. Box can be powered up and working just fine, but don't connect the HDMI !

Hah - Had wondered why nobody was having the same troubles and then you made me realise that I am of course still back in the Bronze Age, with my slow old ADSL ... Probably doesn't affect FTTP or FTTC internet provision.

My ISP has had to reset the telephone exchange connection if I leave the M8SPro+ box on too long as something in the server crashes cutting my supply completely - (I think it may auto reset after about 10 minutes ???)
        They are going to reset my line server to initial condition in 10 days if my speed hasn't recovered automatically .....

This issue mostly/only affects download connection leaving the upload side apparently normal speed ?

Pete

p.s. GB have just said they will refund to store credit because of this fault. They offered to send out a replacement but I am worried it would have the same fault and I would be another 2-3 weeks down the line ...

Comment

• trebor
          trebor commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like to me some earth loop

When you plug the HDMI in to the tv and I guess only that it may have a TV antenna possible amplifier or even set top box or satellite receiver.
          Some nasty earth thing could be happening or lack there of earth, Check things out.

Try separate Monitor and box run a long lead from next door (if they are friendly) but yes the Box could be the cause or a very poorly shielded cable.

Giving this box another go - originally dismissed it for its woeful wireless performance but more than happy to revisit it for the $38 deal (incl free shipping and received in 7 days!)
        Can put the savings into a Powerline adapter or am going to try external antenna mod, to see what that does for it

Please excuse this naive question - what advantage is there to installing either of the two custom ROMs, whether the Android version or the TVStock Nexus ROM?
        No HD Sound system, just connected to a bedroom TV - and using Minix A2 Air Mouse so doesn't have to be ATV style mouse restricted either
        I do use Browser (to watch a Sports Team subscription I have)* and Xfinity stream app in Android , and can dual boot to LibreElec as desired

*this is major failing on the MiBox for me - cannot get it to work properly on any of the Browsers I have tried loading - cannot even get my log-in icon to appear - and it's annoying not to be able to have apps directly on the home screen and the dominant recommended fields etc

That's not meant to be a "why on earth would I do this" but a genuine question as to what either brings to the party other than the interface?
        Honestly don't care for the Android TV interface (as per my MiBox, which I haven't really loved); the Nexus ROM at least looks somewhat similar to the Nova Launcher I use on my Beelink - but what makes the custom ROM better than just adding a different launcher to the MeCool (and I don't really mind their std launcher, although prefer the Nova or Nexus 'look & feel')

Even a brief summary of advantages/disadvantages would be most appreciated

Comment

I'm a bit of a purist, and I tried to put some of my design philosophy in the original post. (Back in the day, I was responsible for publishing the user experience guidelines for Windows and their OEM partners.) I think Google does a good job of creating a polished, elegant experience for their Nexus devices...whether phone, tablet or media player. This is in stark contrast to the seemingly random collections of apps and launchers that ship with the typical Chinese TV box.

Yes, it's kind of a "less is more" approach, but users start with a clean out-of-box experience and can easily add what more they need à la carte with the Google Play Store. There's none of the pre-installed third-party and OEM apps bundled that bloat the UI with features of questionable value (which we use to affectionately call "craplets").

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
            Giving this box another go - originally dismissed it for its woeful wireless performance but more than happy to revisit it for the $38 deal (incl free shipping and received in 7 days!)
            Can put the savings into a Powerline adapter or am going to try external antenna mod, to see what that does for it

Please excuse this naive question - what advantage is there to installing either of the two custom ROMs, whether the Android version or the TVStock Nexus ROM?
            No HD Sound system, just connected to a bedroom TV - and using Minix A2 Air Mouse so doesn't have to be ATV style mouse restricted either
            I do use Browser (to watch a Sports Team subscription I have)* and Xfinity stream app in Android , and can dual boot to LibreElec as desired

*this is major failing on the MiBox for me - cannot get it to work properly on any of the Browsers I have tried loading - cannot even get my log-in icon to appear - and it's annoying not to be able to have apps directly on the home screen and the dominant recommended fields etc

That's not meant to be a "why on earth would I do this" but a genuine question as to what either brings to the party other than the interface?
            Honestly don't care for the Android TV interface (as per my MiBox, which I haven't really loved); the Nexus ROM at least looks somewhat similar to the Nova Launcher I use on my Beelink - but what makes the custom ROM better than just adding a different launcher to the MeCool (and I don't really mind their std launcher, although prefer the Nova or Nexus 'look & feel')

Even a brief summary of advantages/disadvantages would be most appreciated
            Actually, Magendanz's TV ROM does have a built in Chrome browser, and it works very well. On the included stock remote, there is a button for the browser and it opens a "standard" Chrome browser window. I use a wireless mouse, and a mini key pad and it works great for me. When you are done using the browser, just click the "home" button, and you are back to the main screen.

Have not tried the stock Android, so not sure how Chrome works on that OS.
            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Thank you both for your replies
              I would say the std Launcher is not really that 'bloated' compared to other Chinese boxes that are full of junk - only annoyance is the TVCenter icon that you can't even seem to reprogram
              I think I would lean more to the Nexus variant than the AndroidTV but will have to play and see what is best after some use with them

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Actually, Magendanz's TV ROM does have a built in Chrome browser, and it works very well. On the included stock remote, there is a button for the browser and it opens a "standard" Chrome browser window....
              I don't know why the website I use won't load properly on the MiBox (I have side-loaded Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox and Opera and NONE of them work - so I think has something to do with the MiBox setup as I don't see this issue on my other Android box ......... )
              Would you mind doing me a quick favour? Can you open the Browser and load https://www.celticfc.tv/tv/dashboard for me (that's my team ) - there should be a "Login" Icon in the top right corner of the page next to the FB, Twitter etc icons - this just does not appear on the MiBox regardless of what browser I use. Just need to know if its there and pops up the log-in screen. Much appreciated if you can take a look for me
              Last edited by DEcosse; 09-01-2017, 03:09.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
                Thank you both for your replies
                I would say the std Launcher is not really that 'bloated' compared to other Chinese boxes that are full of junk - only annoyance is the TVCenter icon that you can't even seem to reprogram
                I think I would lean more to the Nexus variant than the AndroidTV but will have to play and see what is best after some use with them

I don't know why the website I use won't load properly on the MiBox (I have side-loaded Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox and Opera and NONE of them work - so I think has something to do with the MiBox setup as I don't see this issue on my other Android box ......... )
                Would you mind doing me a quick favour? Can you open the Browser and load https://www.celticfc.tv/tv/dashboard for me (that's my team ) - there should be a "Login" Icon in the top right corner of the page next to the FB, Twitter etc icons - this just does not appear on the MiBox regardless of what browser I use. Just need to know if its there and pops up the log-in screen. Much appreciated if you can take a look for me
                Went to the link, page loaded fast, and when I clicked the "login" button, the popup window opened for user name and password. Looks good to go. This device is far superior to my Xiaomi Mi box. The included Chrome browser is the same as on my desktop Windows computer. One thing that doesn't work for me is the right mouse button on my wireless mouse.
                MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Thank you - much appreciated clarkss12

Comment

comment

#363.1
                    trebor commented
                    08-31-2017, 20:32
                    Sounds like to me some earth loop

When you plug the HDMI in to the tv and I guess only that it may have a TV antenna possible amplifier or even set top box or satellite receiver.
                    Some nasty earth thing could be happening or lack there of earth, Check things out.

Try separate Monitor and box run a long lead from next door (if they are friendly) but yes the Box could be the cause or a very poorly shielded cable.

Hi trebor,

Thanks for the input of more ideas.

I have tried 3 different cables and with/without routing through the amp, but haven't tried with nothing else connected, or some earth lifting scenarios that I really should have thought of before.

More experiments ...
                    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post

Hi trebor,

Thanks for the input of more ideas.

I have tried 3 different cables and with/without routing through the amp, but haven't tried with nothing else connected, or some earth lifting scenarios that I really should have thought of before.

More experiments ...
                      Pete
                      Hi trebor (et al),

OK - So I tried connecting to a different TV(monitor) - No change - Same issue.

I had previously noted that when just the metal shroud of the HDMI plug was touching the metal outer socket, with both Z28 and M8SPro+, the ADSL failed (on the Z28 with complete insertion the ADSL recovered).
                      I made a special cable with the shroud detached at one end (shielding provided by the display end) - This prevented the issue from starting with only the shroud touching, but on full insertion the M8SPro+ still causes a complete failure of ADSL

I have just tried cutting Shield wire P2 - Data2 Shield, but that results in no display, though issue remains !
                      Wonder why this shield connection stops display ?
                      BTW - They don't look like shield wires as they are insulated and colour coded in this cable, supplied with the M8SPro+.

Anyone any more ideas ...

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post

HDR Kernel testing was done here (now included in LE 8.2):
                        https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/87...ds-discussion/

W.
                        Hi,

I've installed Libreelec 8.2 (8.1.6 by kszaq) on sd card. For 4k HDR is ok? Compatible kernel for 10bit hdr video is included in that release?

Is it necessary insert echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr in autostart.sh?

Thank you

Comment

Ask and seek info over in the LibreELEC forums. As already posted, there is a whole 29 page thread devoted to LE HDR testing sitting there waiting for you:

This thread is specifically targeting 10bit output, HDR, and 10-8bit dithering support (fixes the "color banding" issue posted around on nougat krypton builds). This testing started in kszaq 's "full Nougat" kernel preview thread…

I'm not about to turn this thread into a detailed LibreELEC support discussion.

Comment

wrxtasy I'm using your remote.conf, it's working great.
                            I just want to add a key to change audio language, maybe use long press of "E" key which is used for change subtitle or others key such as "Magnifier glass" key.
                            Please instruct me how to do that.

Comment

The real simple method is download the Kodi - Keymap Editor Addon from the Kodi Repository > Programs section.
                              Then you can custom program 99% of remote buttons easily to whatever you want.

If you are clever, certain buttons can have different functionality in different parts of Kodi, that is what the main Menus you initially see are for.

For example Global applies to all parts of Kodi, where as Fullscreen Live TV - remote remapping only remaps remote button when using Kodi's PVR's.

Comment

Working...
                              X